Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4 Average
Steering problem update
Ralf

RE: Steering problem update

In the meantime i got a call from my dealer. Allegedly there should be only a few cars with problems - in Germany ? They want to get my car for three days in the garage to check the steering. An engineer from Land Rover Germany will take part.

Who´s car has had the same problem ?

Ralf

Evoque Si4 Prestige, Order August 2011, Delivery February 2012
(This post was last modified: 04-03-2012 10:25pm by Ralf.)
04-03-2012 01:06pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
APD

I'm worried I'm suffering from the same problem. Took delivery of my Dynamic SD4 Manual yesterday & it's exceeding my expectations in almost every respect except.....
.....Took it for it's first decent drive today and.....
.....About half way between Stirling and Perth I noticed that the steering had gone stiff and a bit juddery. On the way home the same thing happened, about half way between Perth and Stirling. The stiffness made it a tiring drive.
At the time I thought the stiffness might just be something that might take a bit of getting used to and the judderiness might be due to the condition of the road. Now I've read this thread I'm not so sure.
Any comments from anyone who's suffered from this problem ? Do you think I've got it too or do you think I'm reading too much into it ? I can't help thinking that a car which costs 38.5K should be perfect.
11-03-2012 10:37pm
Biker

(11-03-2012 10:37pm)APD Wrote:  I'm worried I'm suffering from the same problem. Took delivery of my Dynamic SD4 Manual yesterday & it's exceeding my expectations in almost every respect except.....
.....About half way between Stirling and Perth I noticed that the steering had gone stiff and a bit juddery. On the way home the same thing happened, about half way between Perth and Stirling. The stiffness made it a tiring drive.
At the time I thought the stiffness might just be something that might take a bit of getting used to and the judderiness might be due to the condition of the road. Now I've read this thread I'm not so sure.
Any comments from anyone who's suffered from this problem ? Do you think I've got it too or do you think I'm reading too much into it ? I can't help thinking that a car which costs 38.5K should be perfect.

For a moment I thought you referred to driving from Perth (Western Australia) to Stirling (South Australia) which is 2700 km (1600 miles) Shocked

TD4 180 HSE MY17 Fuji White
12-03-2012 01:11am
bluebear

(23-01-2012 02:50pm)mk82 Wrote:  We went for a longer trip. And what happend after driving one hour faster then 110 km/h? Yes, steering got harder and harder. Just a few second under 70 km/h and (abrupt) it works fine again.

Waiting for call by the garage to obtain an appointment..

(11-03-2012 10:37pm)APD Wrote:  I'm worried I'm suffering from the same problem. Took delivery of my Dynamic SD4 Manual yesterday & it's exceeding my expectations in almost every respect except.....

No I don't think your reading too much into it. What you describe is exactly what happened to mine as soon as I got it. Get it checked, if it doesn't feel right then it probably isn't. One final piece of advice, be persistent. LR did all sorts of checks and found nothing wrong but my dealer helped immensely and only with his help did they agree to change the steering rack. It's like a totally different car now.

Collected - Pure Coupe SD4 Tech Auto, fuji with Almond/Expresso interior. Style 5 19" alloys, panoramic roof, xenons, privacy glass, electric adjustment exterior mirrors, rear camera, park assist, fog lamps, spare wheel
12-03-2012 10:45pm
stuartsmith

(21-11-2011 10:03am)woodhouse Wrote:  My Evoque is back at the dealer again with the same problem of stiff/twitchy steering, the first time they said it was cured by fitting a new sensor but it made no difference, it is only noticable when the car is warm and going above 50-60 mph the steering gets stiff and jerky to the point you need to use quite a lot of force to turn it and then once turned it does not "self center" you have to physically turn it back. It is quite alarming at speed. They have had it back for 4 days now and still no news.
Picked up my new Dynamic Evoque March 8th 2012 in Northern California. Drove perfectly locally and for short trips on the freeway. However, first long trip (120 miles) on the freeway, displayed the same symptoms reported by Woodhouse. Extremely stiff steering, quite difficult to hold a straight line or line through a curve. Arrived at destination tired and disappointed. Same problem on the return trip. Slowing the vehicle seemed to restore normal power assist for a while. However, after 10-15 min at freeway speed, symptoms returned. Vehicle now with the dealer for evaluation.
15-03-2012 09:32pm
THEMACS

Just looking at all the people have been having these issues, are they all auto cars? anyone any problems with a manual car?

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
15-03-2012 09:40pm
evQ

Is everyone having this problem? My order is in the pipeline, so can anything be done so that extra attention is given during build?
25-03-2012 07:12am
chris

Hi,

is there any update on this steering wheel problem ?
Because I have same issue Sad

Tks.
Chris
25-03-2012 10:37pm
Ralf

My car was in the garage for three days in the meantime.

Two engeneers from Land Rover Germany and Getrag ( the manufacturer of the steering ) checked all.
I was told they didn´t find a fault. It would be normal for this kind of electrical sttering assist to hold the center for a better directional stability.

For my opininon this can´t be the reason or solution., because it´s not the on center feeling, more like the stering axle is in a vice.

So i will wait until it repeats and how many other cars are concerned.

Ralf

Evoque Si4 Prestige, Order August 2011, Delivery February 2012
26-03-2012 02:12pm
Karene444

I collected an SD4 Prestige Auto today and had the same problem, constantly needing to correct the steering which kept drifting off and was stiff at speed making motorway driving very scarey ....

26-03-2012 09:42pm