Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Satellite navigation problems
Donny Dog

Satellite navigation problems

The sat. nav. on my car is driving me mad! Whatever route I pick from the three options, it never takes me a sensible way. It suggests I leave motorways and other dual carriageways at every available junction, wanting to take me way off course (and via longer routes). Yesterday, heading south on the A1 from Newcastle, it wanted me to leave at a junction from which the only available alternative exit headed north again! The dealer Master Technician says that the only way to force it to stick to motorways is to set way-points ON the motorway, but if I knew where all the way points should be I wouldn't need the sat. nav. in the first place! (He also confirmed that I already have the user-options optimally set). If I ignore the sat. nav. and stick to my intended route, it re-calculates and changes the route appropriately for a while, but then wants me to leave again as soon as another junction comes up, and the only way I get to my destination sensibly is because I roughly know the correct route in the first place and ignore all the options thrown up - the sat. nav. is therefore not really contributing and is effectively a waste of time!

My other problem with it, albeit it has (so far) only happened once, is that it suggested a change of route (from the A1 to the M1, heading north) for an unspecified problem on my original route, then caused me to run into a 15-mile traffic jam on the M1 without any advice appearing whatsoever. At the same time, you can't get conventional traffic announcements without having the radio on (which I don't always want), and I still haven't found a way to mute the radio other than turning the volume down (the 'on-off' button effectively mutes it but then it doesn't monitor traffic announcements).

What also puzzles me is that, reading the forum, no-one else has raised complaints of this type, making me wonder if there is an obvious answer that I am missing.

Any advice, please?
24-04-2012 10:00am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Satellite navigation problems

Donny, which Evoque do you have - Pure, Prestige or Dynamic?
I haven't had this problem in any recent Range Rovers, but I had exactly the same issues with an aftermarket "indigo" system that I had in my 1st RRS that had no factory nav fitted - it would come up with stupid route choices, take me off a motorway junction then rejoin the motorway straight across the junction (it couldn't handle motorway flyovers!) and on two occasions tried to take me into one way streets the wrong way!

First question.............. have you checked that the country choice is correct, it appears some cars were delivered to UK owners with Belgium selected as the
default country. You will still get UK routing but not using the entire road network, and the voice will still be in English as that is done in a separate setting

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 24-04-2012 10:28am by XFullFatTim.)
24-04-2012 10:20am
defender_uk

Donny
I do suffer with a similar problem. Not as acute. But it insists on sending me off the m/way for no apparent reason and has twice sent me directly into a massive traffic jam.....but it doesn't do it all the time.
It is a crap system compared to the RRS which was excellent....

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
24-04-2012 10:35am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Donny Dog

(24-04-2012 10:20am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Donny, which Evoque do you have - Pure, Prestige or Dynamic?
I haven't had this problem in any recent Range Rovers, but I had exactly the same issues with an aftermarket "indigo" system that I had in my 1st RRS that had no factory nav fitted - it would come up with stupid route choices, take me off a motorway junction then rejoin the motorway straight across the junction (it couldn't handle motorway flyovers!) and on two occasions tried to take me into one way streets the wrong way!

First question.............. have you checked that the country choice is correct, it appears some cars were delivered to UK owners with Belgium selected as the
default country. You will still get UK routing but not using the entire road network, and the voice will still be in English as that is done in a separate setting

It's a Prestige. It is set for UK (although it wasn't updated to the new Tyne Tunnel layout!).

Second question..................?Wink

I've also noticed that it's very poor at estimating ETA, which it only gets right with some last-minute correcting nearing the destination. I don't know what speed it uses for the estimate (current, journey so far, long-term average, or some in-built estimate?). My SL500 updates the average speed constantly so the ETA always makes sense.
24-04-2012 11:19am
DiscoDad

Sat-Nav in the D4 is crap too! It does the same stupid things as Donny Dog refers to.

Looks like the Evoque is using the same system.

Why don't car manufacturers just licence Tom-Tom or Navigon software in their vehicles? Surely it must be cheaper & easier for them to do so!

Ordered 3-4-2012 - Build date 27-6-2012 - Delivery expected 9-7-2012 - Actual delivery 29-6-2012
SD4 Auto Dynamic, Orkney Grey with black pano roof, style 7 wheels, lux pack, verve interior, ebony headlining, privacy glass, adaptive xenons, heated steering wheel, load retension system.
24-04-2012 12:53pm
Cedric

(24-04-2012 11:19am)Donny Dog Wrote:  It's a Prestige. It is set for UK (although it wasn't updated to the new Tyne Tunnel layout!).

Second question..................?Wink

I've also noticed that it's very poor at estimating ETA, which it only gets right with some last-minute correcting nearing the destination. I don't know what speed it uses for the estimate (current, journey so far, long-term average, or some in-built estimate?). My SL500 updates the average speed constantly so the ETA always makes sense.

I haven't got my car yet, but satnav programs usually take the speedlimit to calculate the ETA. Having been to the UK last year using Sygic on my smartphone, I noticed it sent me quite often down B roads, because of the rather high speed limit I guess. The only problem is that this would get you killed at the first bend when driving on those roads.
24-04-2012 02:22pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I think you may need to have the software re-flashed by a dealer Donny, as a warranty claim

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
24-04-2012 02:47pm
Sarcastrix

(24-04-2012 11:19am)Donny Dog Wrote:  I've also noticed that it's very poor at estimating ETA

Noticed that too, you're not alone DD.

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
24-04-2012 06:30pm
Straydox

The ETA error is probably dependent on the layer of Geo data that LR bought. When you buy digital map data commercially it comes in 'layers' so for roads you can have distance beteen points (just like a printed OS map has), national speed limits - or typically at extra cost the average speed a vehicle of a given type (i.e. van, truck, car) can do point-to-point at a particular time of day. Other layers might include filling stations, car parks, hospitals, restaurants etc.

The Audi A5 I'll be handing back this week usually gets the ETA accurate to within a minute or two and also uses Navteq data (as do LR I believe). I'm pretty certain it uses speed limit and average vehicle speed in its calculations.

I know that the LR nav isn't in the Audi's league (few are) but I'm hopeful it will be tolerable - you lot have set such a low expectation level for me that I'll be impressed with coloured maps....

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
24-04-2012 07:14pm
SINGHY

Can anyone advise how to display the sat nav road directions on the driver info display so that when approaching a junction you dont take your eyes off the road ahead by having to look closely at the centre screen. I remember that when I collected the car it was showing this info on the driver info display but when I used it last week it only did it intermittently and I did select the different screen view modes.

Pure SD4 5 door in Orkney Grey with Tech Pack, Xenons, Pan Roof, Auto dim mirror, Gloss black Dynamic grill upgrade, Roof, sde vents and waist rail wrapped in gloss black, Front Fogs, Style 4 Alloys and Spare Wheel - Collected on 6 April.
03-05-2012 05:52pm