Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Roof rails/Thule bars
ChuckieB

RE: Roof rails/Thule bars

(29-04-2012 10:51am)Peterlewis321 Wrote:  The Thule bars slide out to the side (each side) of the car by c60cm's - means you can load even the middle cycle rack without leaning right over the car - really handy. The Thule bars are pretty damn strong, if anything is going to flex the roof bars might but they are also strong so, unless you are loading something really heavy (way heavier than bikes) this will not be a problem.

Couple of photos attached.

Have just invested in this set up myself having been attracted by the convenience of the sliding bars and thought that i am less likely to drop a bike onto the roof! Have had a few close shaves to date.

As yet I haven't been able to eliminate all the "booming" when on the move but fingers crossed I can reduce it to something more acceptable. It is a consideration as I have the LR cross rails as well and they are definitely silent!

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
29-05-2012 10:05pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Noki

Hi sorry to bring an old thread to the front again, I am thinking of getting the slide bars for my evoque. I have chrome roof rails fitted already.

At what point do i need T track adapters and how do they work. I thought I could just put any thule box on Aero bars or slide bars.
05-05-2013 04:50pm
LaserTam

(05-05-2013 04:50pm)Noki Wrote:  Hi sorry to bring an old thread to the front again, I am thinking of getting the slide bars for my evoque. I have chrome roof rails fitted already.

At what point do i need T track adapters and how do they work. I thought I could just put any thule box on Aero bars or slide bars.

I believe T track adapters are to assist with fixing items to the Aero bars, for example a roof box. They are a T shape which slot into the track that runs the length of the Aero bar. Saves having to have a clamp or U bolt around the bar. I have been investigating roof boxes and seems that with a T Track adapter, you save a bit of space inside the roof box as the fastener takes up less space than a U bolt fastener. Not see one in the flesh, so don't quote me on that, just what I have read. roofbox.co.uk is a good source of info.

In terms of the slide bars (the bars that go across the car), I believe you can buy either the LR models or Thule also have bars that fit the Evoque rails. Roofbox sell them.

My car is on order, and I did ponder on getting the rails added, but at £1k fitted, I have decided to just buy the Thule bars that attach to the roof and I will just have to be careful.

Born 28th June - Pure Tech 2.2 eD4 Manual in Santorini Black, Pano roof, Cirrus leather, style 6 wheels, rear camera, power mirrors, auto dim RVM
05-05-2013 06:24pm
ChuckieB

The slide bars have a very big profile, much bigger than the aero bars. Hence u clamps don't generally fit around. At the same time they are about as aerodynamic as a railway sleeper and so they are not quiet above 50mph.

I actually leave my bike racks a permanently attached to the bars. With the slide bars ( extending them on one side) it's is quite easy to take the complete and rigid assembly off ( you do need a wiling helper though). It does then save so much time when putting them back on as they are pretty much adjusted to exactly where they need to be! Would really recommend them. I do happen to have a set of LR bars though and so use these for the roof box which is used much less frequently.

Delivered 17/2/2012!

05-05-2013 06:45pm
Noki

I was mainly going to use the roof box for holidays etc generally travelling at 70 mph for 3 or 4 hours and was thinking about the slide bars for ease of packing the roof box without being close to the car. I am going to get a tow bar for the Thule cycle carrier I already have.

Just unsure what bars to get. Slide, Aero or another. I then read that some boxes require T track adapters to be fitted to some rails and wondering what combo works best.
05-05-2013 09:47pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

If you are getting a tow bar then instead of roof bars why not buy a small trailer that you can also put the bikes onto. No lifting stuff onto the roof of the car and risking scratches. Years ago when I owned bigger LRs I bought an Ivor Wiiliams trailer that they custom fitted extra ladder racks to for carrying my windsurfers, the bikes and sails, booms, masts and other parafinalia go inside the "box" part of the trailer and no damage to the roof of he car! When I only want to carry bikes I have bike roof rack fittings I can fit to the cross bars across the trailer that the boards would otherwise go on. Trailers have other uses too........... Mine is a Wiiliams P100e drop tail and the ladder racks are easily removed and replaced so I can also get a quad bike in it if necessary. I can also tow it behind any car with a tow bar - useful when you change cars or have two. The only problem I've had with mine was when I had my Defender re-chassised and replacement suspension fitted......... The old suspension was so tired that the car ride 3" higher with the replacement springs and the tail of the trailer dragged on the road. No problem for IW, they are used to dealing with re-chassised Defenders and for £24 inc VAT they fitted a new specially designed draw to the trailer so the hitch was at the right height!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 05-05-2013 10:28pm by XFullFatTim.)
05-05-2013 10:18pm
ChuckieB

(05-05-2013 09:47pm)Noki Wrote:  I was mainly going to use the roof box for holidays etc generally travelling at 70 mph for 3 or 4 hours and was thinking about the slide bars for ease of packing the roof box without being close to the car. I am going to get a tow bar for the Thule cycle carrier I already have.

Just unsure what bars to get. Slide, Aero or another. I then read that some boxes require T track adapters to be fitted to some rails and wondering what combo works best.

In my experience it is quite easy to load a roof box compared with loading bikes. Easier on a 5 door. On configuration the money is possibly better spent on having a quality box that opens left and right. My Karrite hinges just one side and is a nightmare to fit as I can't reach the far clamps without scrambling onto the edge of the flimsy roof! Doesn't make it a 10 minute job.

Delivered 17/2/2012!

(This post was last modified: 06-05-2013 12:37am by ChuckieB.)
06-05-2013 12:36am