Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Roof box makes noise
PapaRod

RE: Roof box makes noice

So I went for the switch of bars. There were no marks - what so ever - on the bars, so it's a,game of trial and error. Shifted them so that the thinner profile is now facing forward and at least the box fits better than before, although I still find it a bit noicy. We'll see how it works...

Pure SD, Fuji, TechPack 1, Clearview, Auto, Privacy, Park assist - now with a towbar...Very Happy
10-02-2013 04:20pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PapaRod

Back on the issue, not completely satisfied..

I have the OEM rack that has a wingform to it, i.e wider on one side and a bit thinner on the other. The instructions unfortunately don't show which way to assemble it and the marking that the manual shows should be in the racks isn't there. At first the box didn't lie correctly on the rack causing a constant rattle to it. I switched the rack and now the box is aligned, but instead I have a whistle from 70 mpg and onwards...

Is there anyone on the forum that figured out the correct way to mount the rack?

Pure SD, Fuji, TechPack 1, Clearview, Auto, Privacy, Park assist - now with a towbar...Very Happy
23-02-2013 10:23am
ChuckieB

You have fitted the rubber strips along the t track presumably?

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
23-02-2013 10:33am
mickydd

(23-02-2013 10:23am)PapaRod Wrote:  Back on the issue, not completely satisfied..

I have the OEM rack that has a wingform to it, i.e wider on one side and a bit thinner on the other. The instructions unfortunately don't show which way to assemble it and the marking that the manual shows should be in the racks isn't there. At first the box didn't lie correctly on the rack causing a constant rattle to it. I switched the rack and now the box is aligned, but instead I have a whistle from 70 mpg and onwards...

Is there anyone on the forum that figured out the correct way to mount the rack?

The roof bars should be mounted with the slightly thicker section to the front of the vehice, the tapered side should be facing the rear.

As ChuckieB has said, it is important you have inserted the rubber strip in to the T groove on the bars, if you leave the smallest of gaps, the wind will find it and that's usually the reason for the excessive wind noise.

If you need any pictures of the fitting and how I have cut/inserted the rubber strips, drop me a line.
Good luck.

Arrived 24th February. Dynamic 5 dr SD4, manual ,Firenze with Verve interior, 20" Sparkle
(This post was last modified: 23-02-2013 12:05pm by mickydd.)
23-02-2013 12:04pm
PapaRod

(23-02-2013 12:04pm)mickydd Wrote:  The roof bars should be mounted with the slightly thicker section to the front of the vehice, the tapered side should be facing the rear.

As ChuckieB has said, it is important you have inserted the rubber strip in to the T groove on the bars, if you leave the smallest of gaps, the wind will find it and that's usually the reason for the excessive wind noise.

If you need any pictures of the fitting and how I have cut/inserted the rubber strips, drop me a line.
Good luck.

Thx for the answers. Switched the bars back to the correct setup, I'll see if the rattles are still there tomorrow. Frustrating to spend money on OEM parts just to find out they aren't a perfect fit. Could have gone for the chinese components on ebay I guess..Evil

24-02-2013 10:42pm
PapaRod

*bump*

Sorry to bother the forum on the same issue, but I just can't get the OEM parts to do the job.

I ordered OEM rails+bars from LRparts.net in the UK and at least the packing and markings indicate that the parts are OEM. I've got a few glitches in the sense that e.g. the bars don't hold any markings for assembly - as is indicated in the instructions.

Aaanyway. I've tried to mount them all ways possible. I've switched the thicker side facing forward and the thinner sider facing forward. I switched from front to aft, just to make sure there's nothing there.

Unfortunately it doesn't work as I would expect it to do. My roofbox (Thule Atlant 780) rattles and makes noice while on the bar, not to mention the loud humming that sets in post 100 km/h. Annoying as ****, but something I had to live with the first winter.

Furthermore, as I took the box off - all of a sudden there was a good singing noice from the bars....constantly.

Not the whistle as when I had the slim side facing forward, but almost even worse. Just and incredibly disturbing hum, that starts at low speeds and just escalates!! WTF?

Not to mention the assembly and the system itself, my roof rails start to look like s--t due to all the on-and-off excercises I've been through?

Are the rest of you happy with your OEM bars? I've used Thule in my previous cars and NEVER had this kind of crap - just assembly and drive off.

07-04-2013 01:26pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Not a whistle or rattle / vibration from mine that I used this week for a 600kms round trip mostly done at 120-150kph, mine are LR OEM from the dealership

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 07-04-2013 03:12pm by XFullFatTim.)
07-04-2013 03:12pm
PapaRod

(07-04-2013 03:12pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Not a whistle or rattle / vibration from mine that I used this week for a 600kms round trip mostly done at 120-150kph, mine are LR OEM from the dealership

Makes me even more confused and annoyed...Idea. Don't seem to get it right no matter the assembly chosen....

As I said before they're unmarked on the rack itself, but I've tried mounting them in the different configurations possible, but none seems to work for me.

It's so bad that I consider selling them off as I can't use them....and it annoys me.

07-04-2013 06:11pm