Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Repairs - will this ultimately cost me?
fedup

Repairs - will this ultimately cost me?

Quick back story:

- Test drove 18 month old Evoque, rattle, dealer said it'd be sorted before I collected the car, so I went ahead with the purchase.

- Collected car, rattle still there, car booked in to workshop

- Today, car went to workshop, rattle fixed.

And here comes the issue. I also mentioned a creak coming from the rear. Turns out the boot hinges are faulty and the boot has dropped/mis-aligned The hinges need replacing. Also, the creaking is actually the boot damaging the paintwork. The whole boot is to be re-sprayed (the don't just do touch-ups).

This fault clearly existed prior to my purchase.

Land Rover are fixing the problem, but considering I've only had the car 3 weeks, should I go ahead? Or should I just ask to return the car? Will this cost me when I resell as the boot will have been resprayed? Should I have got some sort of discount on the purchase as there was such a major fault?

Any comments welcome.
(This post was last modified: 27-04-2015 10:37pm by fedup.)
27-04-2015 10:36pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
vinny

RE: Repairs - will this ultimately cost me?

This is a known fault so you think this would be checked before resale of used cars,there are several threads relating to this already.

My order- fuji white sd4 manual coupe,tech pack,xenons,style 6 20's,pano roof,privacy,front fogs,rear camera,folding mirrors,ebony int/ivory headliner,dec delivery.(still waiting!) Collected 14/01/2012
NOW SOLD as of 26/07/14 Very Happy
Now driving Audi SQ5, everything the Evoque should of been.
27-04-2015 10:49pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

As Vinny says it is a known fault and should be repaired under the makers 3 year warranty. Only thing to watch carefully is the quality of the paint repairs which should be done by a Land Rover approved paint shop. I concur too that the repairs should really have been carried out as part of the LR Approved Used checks as it is a known defect. You would have to give the dealer 3 (I think) attempts to fix the problem before you can reject the car.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
27-04-2015 11:04pm
ChuckieB

Complete new tailgate on mine due to a hairline crack where the hinge attaches to the tailgate itself

Going back in as the boot is not yet aligned and the spoiler has again knocked some paint off where it butts onto the top of the c pillar.

Certainly couldn't fault their paint match though!

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
27-04-2015 11:14pm
bee

I don't recon the lr approved checks are done by some dealers. mine had a door that wouldn't lock/unlock after purchase.

2013 auto sicillian yellow special edition. with all the goodies supplied with this model.
28-04-2015 10:03am
fedup

But when I come to re-sell it, it'll have a completely re-sprayed boot. I wonder if that'll be obvious to some eagle-eyed buyer who'll want money knocked-off?
28-04-2015 10:08am
bee

(28-04-2015 10:08am)fedup Wrote:  But when I come to re-sell it, it'll have a completely re-sprayed boot. I wonder if that'll be obvious to some eagle-eyed buyer who'll want money knocked-off?

well in my opinion boots don't have a very good paint finish anyway, so if they have blended the paintCool in correctly it will probably bee a better finish than before. if you are happy with the boot im sure it wont bee noticed on selling. Cool

2013 auto sicillian yellow special edition. with all the goodies supplied with this model.
28-04-2015 10:14am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

The boot isn't painted! It is made and supplied complete in body coloured composite and if the entire tailgate is replaced then you get it as a finished unit from the factory. If the work is carried out by a Land Rover dealer it will show on the vehicles electronic history anyway so any new buyer can get a printout and will see that it was done by the company's approved body shop. I had to have the whole lot replaced on my 1st Evoque after I reversed into a safety barrier on a frosty morning and the external part of the tailgate cracked from the number plate recess upwards and the interior surface also fell to pieces!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
28-04-2015 01:15pm
fedup

And to make matter worse, the rattle they said they had fixed is still there. So it'll need to go into the workshop for a third time.

I have an Evoque when they first came out and swore I'd never own another one as it was plagued with rattles and creaks. But this was second-hand so I decided, as it only had the one rattle which the dealer assured me would be fixed before collection, I'd get another one.

I'm really tempted to just ask to return it.
28-04-2015 07:10pm
PhilSkill

Had the Front bumper replaced on mine when it was new due to faults in the paintwork, and it was done by a LR approved Bodyshop, it also came from the factory, and you'd never know it's been replaced, looks perfect.

Just get it fixed, check it well before you accept it back, and get on enjoying the car.

If you really are considering rejecting the car, then the 3 times to fix on the rattle will be your most likely option as you'd agreed that before buying it, but don't delay telling the dealer you are considering it, In fact if it goes back for the rattle for the 3rd time, you should tell them that if it's not fixed this time you want to reject it.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
29-04-2015 10:11am