Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Rear view camera has moved
RREVO

RE: Rear view camera has moved

I was thinking last week the rear camera view on mine was looking different ( Shocked thought I was seeing things!)
Thanks to all for confirming the "moving cameras"
Is it a quick fix to put it back to how it was?

Dynamic Si4 Auto 5dr, Orkney Grey, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Powered open & close Tailgate, 20” Gloss black wheels
09-05-2012 10:07am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Firenze

I do think mine was wrong to start with but now after it has moved it is in the correct position as it shows part of the bumper like the photo in the manual

Firenze Dynamic Si4, Pano roof, Verve, Ebony headliner, Black Strata, Privacy glass, Lux Pack - Enjoying since 7/3/12
09-05-2012 10:18am
PhilSkill

I'd be surprised if the physical camera was really moving, maybe there is some auto calibration of the camera image position to align the tram lines, but not sure how it would do this given the image has no real reference points (other than the bumper). I'm guessing this doesn't move after a trip to the dealers where they might have physically re-aligned it or updated software? So must be some form of auto-calibration?

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
09-05-2012 11:53am
Firenze

The cameras do seem quite clever how the same one can give different views which I presume is done via the software as oppose to a mechanical zoom lens or maybe they have an electro mechanical iris? so maybe they do auto calibrate, I wondered if mine wasn't seated properly when fitted but after several shuts of the boot it is now in the correct position as it has moved down slightly prob only a mm or so - I don't slam the boot as it has the electric open/close and it has not been back to the dealer for anything

Firenze Dynamic Si4, Pano roof, Verve, Ebony headliner, Black Strata, Privacy glass, Lux Pack - Enjoying since 7/3/12
09-05-2012 12:06pm
Donny Dog

(09-05-2012 12:06pm)Firenze Wrote:  The cameras do seem quite clever how the same one can give different views which I presume is done via the software as oppose to a mechanical zoom lens or maybe they have an electro mechanical iris? so maybe they do auto calibrate, I wondered if mine wasn't seated properly when fitted but after several shuts of the boot it is now in the correct position as it has moved down slightly prob only a mm or so - I don't slam the boot as it has the electric open/close and it has not been back to the dealer for anything

The reversing camera actually moves when you change views. Get someone to alter the view while you watch the camera. The movement is internal, that is, the iris moves behind the lens.
09-05-2012 01:01pm
Firenze

(09-05-2012 01:01pm)Donny Dog Wrote:  The reversing camera actually moves when you change views. Get someone to alter the view while you watch the camera. The movement is internal, that is, the iris moves behind the lens.

Ahh right so then there is a possibility it could get stuck in the wrong position, will watch it move next time Im out

Thanks for that info

09-05-2012 01:11pm
Donny Dog

(09-05-2012 01:11pm)Firenze Wrote:  Ahh right so then there is a possibility it could get stuck in the wrong position, will watch it move next time Im out

Thanks for that info

I'm not sure it could get stuck, if you mean mechanically (as it appears to be a sealed unit). However, it is possible to look at the bumper and equally avoid looking at it when viewing the rear camera in normal 'Camera' mode (rather than when in actual reverse gear, when it is not user-adjustable), so electronically the iris can obviously adopt both positions. Mine changed a few days after purchase (like many have described here) so that I can now see the bumper when I couldn't before. The only thing that happened between these two events was that I viewed the rear camera in 'Camera' mode and experimented with tilting, panning, and zooming it, and my guess is that it then defaulted to the different position (whether that was a correction or a fault, I don't know).

As a tool to aid reversing, it works just as well with the new view in terms of alignment, is better in terms of close manoeuvring, but worse in terms of spotting something at distance behind the vehicle. The ideal solution would be to offer the same tilt/pan options which you get in 'Camera' mode when in reverse gear. (Suggestion for LR??)
09-05-2012 01:42pm
PhilSkill

The problem with allowing PTZ (Software Pan/Tilt/Zoom) in reverse is the tram lines would have to be "clever" and be able to move with whatever viewing position you choose, this will be why it's fixed in reverse gear mode to ensure the tram lines are correct as they are just an overlay on the image from the camera (maybe if you could disable the tram lines and then allow PTZ quickly). I would think LR also thought it better to always see the same view in reverse so you get used to the distance etc otherwise you might get caught out by the different view.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
09-05-2012 01:51pm
Donny Dog

(09-05-2012 01:51pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  The problem with allowing PTZ (Software Pan/Tilt/Zoom) in reverse is the tram lines would have to be "clever" and be able to move with whatever viewing position you choose, this will be why it's fixed in reverse gear mode to ensure the tram lines are correct as they are just an overlay on the image from the camera (maybe if you could disable the tram lines and then allow PTZ quickly). I would think LR also thought it better to always see the same view in reverse so you get used to the distance etc otherwise you might get caught out by the different view.

That makes sense! Maybe I'll have to use the rear camera to have a look where I'm going before I select reverse gear!

On refection, I agree with your point about a standardised rear view, but (as I mentioned above) mine did, in fact, change in use. Have you any thoughts as to why it might default to a different position after using the 'PTZ' facility (does this seen technically possible?), and which view you think is 'correct'?
09-05-2012 02:02pm
Firenze

I did a few weeks ago play around with the cameras zooming in and out etc, so maybe like yours it was due to me playing around with it and I just haven't noticed till now.

Could it be that from the factory the camera is in its instal position and then when you zoom in and make use of the iris it then goes back to the new correct position showing the bumper? maybe they should be initialised before they left the factory?

Im happy now as I think it is in the correct position as it is better to see a bit of the bumper as it helps judge the distance when really close

09-05-2012 02:33pm