Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Premature wear on parcel shelf and boot seal
moonigan

Premature wear on parcel shelf and boot seal

Hi folks,

Just thought I would give you a quick heads up on an issue that my affect everyone. I have had to book the car in today to get the parcel shelf and boot seal replaced under warranty due to premature wear. The premature wear is brought about by opening and closing the boot. This is something my wife does quite a lot as she is a mobile hairdresser which maybe why we have noticed it so soon.

The wear on the boot seal was caused by the parcel shelf rubbing on the seal when the boot is opened and closed. With nothing on the shelf its OK but we had the complimentry LR brolly on ours and this causes the shelf to move slightly when opening and closing the boot.

The LR service manager said they may have to put the car into the bodyshop to modify the shell to ensure the parcel shelf doesnt keep rubbing. Car is booked in at the end of the month so I'll update the thread to let you know what they did.

[Image: DSC_0176.JPG]

[Image: DSC_0177.JPG]

[Image: DSC_0178.JPG]

[Image: DSC_0179.JPG]
12-04-2012 10:01am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xxxx5

RE: Premature wear on parcel shelf and boot seal

I have a similar issue, but it wasnt found by my dealer is was in fact discovered by JLR when then came to inspect my car due to the front driver door not closing properly. JLR said it was due to the tailgate being out of alignement, now wating all new parts to replace it!

Now Sold: 5dr Pure SD4 Man / Fuji White / Pano Roof / Tech Park / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Xenons / Black H'lining / Power Fold Door Mirrors / Power Tailgate / Carpet Mats / Front Fogs.
12-04-2012 10:41am
tetstb

Mine has been replaced already as they thought that was what was causing my rattle

Cheers

Bob

SD4 Auto Dynamic OG , Verve, Panoramic Roof, Chrome Shadow, 825w audio, Park Assist, Privacy Glass.

[Image: 123130.png]
12-04-2012 10:42am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

You also have the same wear (the four wear marks) as mine has on the lip of the parcel tray where it engages on the rubber wedges on the tailgate.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 12-04-2012 06:31pm by XFullFatTim.)
12-04-2012 06:31pm
olde

Please add this to The List thread for PhilSkill

Whistle Our Petition to Improve the Evoque sent to Range Rover CEO, get your copy ---> HERE <---
12-04-2012 07:28pm
mark_n

Mine has those indentations from the wedges in the tail gate which press down on the parcel shelf to keep it in position when closed. However, I can't see how mine would ever show the wear in these pictures. The sides of mine do not touch the rubber seals at all.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
13-04-2012 07:40am
ChuckieB

(13-04-2012 07:40am)mark_n Wrote:  Mine has those indentations from the wedges in the tail gate which press down on the parcel shelf to keep it in position when closed. However, I can't see how mine would ever show the wear in these pictures. The sides of mine do not touch the rubber seals at all.

Likewise. Mine "stop out" on the inside of the "C" pillar before they touch the seals. Will be keeping a close eye though!

Are the hanging chords too short or the tray not clipped in properly. I should think these could make quite a difference.

---------------------------------
Firenze SD4 Prestige Man Eb/Iv AD Keyless Powered Tailgate Roof Rails
Delivered 17/2/2012!

Other '05 Cliosport 182 FF
13-04-2012 10:15am
Ray Parlour

+1. Went out to check after reading this post. Lo and behold, both sides of the parcel shelf scuffed and the plastic trim on the tailgate has developed white scratch marks too where it comes into contact with the shelf. I wonder if this is more prevalent on keep-fit tailgates (like mine) where a hefty yank is required to shut them?

5dr Pure SD4 Auto, Tech Pack, Front Fog lights, Indus + Ebony
14-04-2012 05:35pm
THEMACS

I looked at ours today and noticed that there appears to be a small piece of material attached to the parcel shelf that looks like it is some kind of protection between the two, not sure if this is the same on everyone else's? Up to now ours doesn't have any wear and it doesn't look like it would catch either, there appears to be a small gap between the seal, maybe they changed it on later builds.

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
15-04-2012 06:23pm
Bodlyfunctions

Like Ray, after reading this I checked mine too. Sure enough, two white wear marks on the tailgate and two on the parcel shelf edges.
A call to dealer has been pencilled in for the morning.
Only had the car 2 1/2 weeks, so am surprised at the level of wear for such ashort period.
15-04-2012 07:51pm