Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Park Assist issues
mnd

Park Assist issues

Hi all,

Who's had dodgy experiences with Park assist??

The first few initial 'practice' ones i did worked great (although during the day)

Last night, went out and found the perfect park assist spot. Scanned, picked it up, followed instructions and it cut into the spot way too early and if i'd continued on, i would have side-swipped the front car!! No joke.

I tried a different spot, further up. Again, perfect spot, plenty of room and a clear gutter. This time it judged it much better but ended up wanting to mount the gutter! Another serious fail!

Spots had plenty of room an no different to other ones i tried the other day. The only difference was it was night time.

Anybody else had similar experiences?
17-01-2012 11:51pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DefLeppard

RE: Park Assist issues

My brother has park assist in his VW,
and it does exactly the same thing.

He doesn't bother using it anymore, because you can't trust it.

Hence I didn't bother paying for it as an option.

Great idea - i just don't think the science is completely there yet.

SD4 Pure, Auto, 5 dr, Mauritius Blue, Pure Tech Pack, Reversing Camera, Front parking aid, Heated seats, Sat Nav, mud flaps. after market tint.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjyQDpCj
18-01-2012 12:05am
Claud

Only used it twice, with this information I will take extra care next time....

[Image: 118733.png]
2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
Sold - 2011 Evoque SD4 Prestige, Auto, Magnaride, Orkney Grey, Lux Pack, TPMS, Heated Steering Wheel
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
18-01-2012 12:20am
Jimmy Millna

(18-01-2012 12:20am)Claud Wrote:  Only used it twice, with this information I will take extra care next time....

Mmm i was worried this would be the case... Ordered it tho. Looked great on the you tube easy as to use but was always a little sceptical but got sucked in. Hope will be ok at night! Science in theory vs science in real life hey.

On order Since august 2011 with zero sign of build slot!!Evil
Fuji white 5 door, prestige si4, pano roof, spirit interior, style 5 wheels, prestige tech pack, park assist,
18-01-2012 09:35am
SW6RR

I think it works well, not perfectly but well enough to warrant speccing it.

The only issue I have had is kerb contact (and so potential scraping of alloys). Not good obviously, but I remedied this by setting up my dipping wing mirrors properly. Now, when I reverse, I can see each back wheel in each wing mirror. If the car is clearly going to make kerb contact, I abort.

I think it only happens 5% of the time or less, though, so I haven't found it to be a big issue.

Arrived (5/11/11): SD4 5-door "Presnamic" Lux Very Happy Auto, Fuji, Spirit/Tan, Style 8 20" Wheels, fully loaded (bar RSE, smoker's pack and Homelink)
18-01-2012 10:45am
Big Dave

I've not had any problems with it and I'm parking in tight spots a few times a day. I am wary of it though and always monitor what it is doing during the manoeuvre.

The only issue I have had is my own fault where I have stopped too quickly after it spots a space and having to pull forward a bit more before it can proceed.

As above the auto dipping mirrors give you a great view of the rear wheels and are a massive help.

2.0 Si4 Dynamic 5Dr Auto, Fuji White, Lux Pack, Dynamic Plus Pack, 20" Chrome Shadow Alloys, etc etc etc
18-01-2012 11:16am
fam1x

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
18-01-2012 02:05pm
LDT

You must have nerves of steel!!

Prestige SD4 Auto, Ipanema/Ambience, Style 4 Wheels, Pan Roof, Privacy, Dimming Mirror, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps.
[Image: 116286.png]
18-01-2012 07:26pm
DynamicRRV

I too think it's a very good thing to have,no problems as yet for me.
18-01-2012 09:05pm
mnd

(18-01-2012 10:45am)SW6RR Wrote:  I think it works well, not perfectly but well enough to warrant speccing it.

The only issue I have had is kerb contact (and so potential scraping of alloys). Not good obviously, but I remedied this by setting up my dipping wing mirrors properly. Now, when I reverse, I can see each back wheel in each wing mirror. If the car is clearly going to make kerb contact, I abort.

I think it only happens 5% of the time or less, though, so I haven't found it to be a big issue.

Wow, I'm glad others have had positive experiences. I did another last night and again, it made contact with the gutter. I had to pull out and start again.

I REALLY want it to work well coz I love the feature (when it works) but so far it's been really bad. Is it possible it could be a sensor fault ? I'll definitely mention it to the dealer Monday when I take her in for the 'fan noise' fault.
(This post was last modified: 18-01-2012 10:21pm by mnd.)
18-01-2012 10:21pm