babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum
Park Assist issues - Printable Version

+- babyRR.com - The Range Rover Evoque Forum (https://babyrr.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Regional Discussions (/Forum-Regional-Discussions)
+--- Forum: Australia & New Zealand (/Forum-Australia-New-Zealand)
+--- Thread: Park Assist issues (/Thread-Park-Assist-issues)

Pages: 1 2 3

Park Assist issues - mnd - 17-01-2012 11:51pm

Hi all,

Who's had dodgy experiences with Park assist??

The first few initial 'practice' ones i did worked great (although during the day)

Last night, went out and found the perfect park assist spot. Scanned, picked it up, followed instructions and it cut into the spot way too early and if i'd continued on, i would have side-swipped the front car!! No joke.

I tried a different spot, further up. Again, perfect spot, plenty of room and a clear gutter. This time it judged it much better but ended up wanting to mount the gutter! Another serious fail!

Spots had plenty of room an no different to other ones i tried the other day. The only difference was it was night time.

Anybody else had similar experiences?

RE: Park Assist issues - DefLeppard - 18-01-2012 12:05am

My brother has park assist in his VW,
and it does exactly the same thing.

He doesn't bother using it anymore, because you can't trust it.

Hence I didn't bother paying for it as an option.

Great idea - i just don't think the science is completely there yet.

RE: Park Assist issues - Claud - 18-01-2012 12:20am

Only used it twice, with this information I will take extra care next time....

RE: Park Assist issues - Jimmy Millna - 18-01-2012 09:35am

(18-01-2012 12:20am)Claud Wrote:  Only used it twice, with this information I will take extra care next time....

Mmm i was worried this would be the case... Ordered it tho. Looked great on the you tube easy as to use but was always a little sceptical but got sucked in. Hope will be ok at night! Science in theory vs science in real life hey.

RE: Park Assist issues - SW6RR - 18-01-2012 10:45am

I think it works well, not perfectly but well enough to warrant speccing it.

The only issue I have had is kerb contact (and so potential scraping of alloys). Not good obviously, but I remedied this by setting up my dipping wing mirrors properly. Now, when I reverse, I can see each back wheel in each wing mirror. If the car is clearly going to make kerb contact, I abort.

I think it only happens 5% of the time or less, though, so I haven't found it to be a big issue.

RE: Park Assist issues - Big Dave - 18-01-2012 11:16am

I've not had any problems with it and I'm parking in tight spots a few times a day. I am wary of it though and always monitor what it is doing during the manoeuvre.

The only issue I have had is my own fault where I have stopped too quickly after it spots a space and having to pull forward a bit more before it can proceed.

As above the auto dipping mirrors give you a great view of the rear wheels and are a massive help.

RE: Park Assist issues - fam1x - 18-01-2012 02:05pm

RE: Park Assist issues - LDT - 18-01-2012 07:26pm

You must have nerves of steel!!

RE: Park Assist issues - DynamicRRV - 18-01-2012 09:05pm

I too think it's a very good thing to have,no problems as yet for me.

RE: Park Assist issues - mnd - 18-01-2012 10:21pm

(18-01-2012 10:45am)SW6RR Wrote:  I think it works well, not perfectly but well enough to warrant speccing it.

The only issue I have had is kerb contact (and so potential scraping of alloys). Not good obviously, but I remedied this by setting up my dipping wing mirrors properly. Now, when I reverse, I can see each back wheel in each wing mirror. If the car is clearly going to make kerb contact, I abort.

I think it only happens 5% of the time or less, though, so I haven't found it to be a big issue.

Wow, I'm glad others have had positive experiences. I did another last night and again, it made contact with the gutter. I had to pull out and start again.

I REALLY want it to work well coz I love the feature (when it works) but so far it's been really bad. Is it possible it could be a sensor fault ? I'll definitely mention it to the dealer Monday when I take her in for the 'fan noise' fault.