Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Park Assist issues
dandavis1

RE: Park Assist issues

I'm amazed anyone bought park assist - such a ridiculous gimmick. If you can't park a car you shouldn't have a licence.

It also makes me wonder about the future of the apparent driverless car. With park assist, are LR liable for any damage as a result of it not working? Similarly, will any manufacturer ever commit to fully automated cars if any deaths/damage are then the fault of the manufacturer?

I thought not.
19-01-2012 01:17am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
fam1x

Really sounds like your a techno phobe DanDavis1, just because we choose to use technology doesnt mean we cant park. Maybe its your age or something trying to not be personal here but making assumptions like that well what can I say.

Have you ever been on an aeroplane ? or are you afriad to fly, oh let me guess you think the pilot is flying it, how narrow minded are you, wow you can control 4 wheels and a steering wheel.

Oh obviously you've not seen the Mercedes S class thats been out for the last 2 years.

Pure SD4 Auto Black Tech pack, Pano roof, Powered tailgate, Dim rear view, Carpet mats & edging, Parking Assist Aid - Rear camera, Folding mirrors, Front Fogs, Auto Light, Rain sensor, Adaptive Xenons, Heated SW, Keyless entry and Privacy Glass arrived 13 Jan 12 Smile
19-01-2012 01:27am
dandavis1

You're right, I'm a 28 yr old technophobe who's never been on one of those big metal birds before. They scare me. When I go abroad I prefer to swim there.

But at least I can park a car.
19-01-2012 09:31am
RacingSnake

Park assist came with the Lux pack, so I wouldn't want to be incorporated into your "shouldn't have a license" group.

However, all the components of self-parking already exist... sensors, power steering, and some 'ecu logic'.
Why not have something to make your life a little easier? thats all it is.... and you don't have to use it if you don't want.

to be honest, driverless cars would make some of the driving standards of some people on the road a hell of a lot better!!!!

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
19-01-2012 10:21am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
caroline11000

(19-01-2012 01:27am)fam1x Wrote:  Really sounds like your a techno phobe DanDavis1, just because we choose to use technology doesnt mean we cant park. Maybe its your age or something trying to not be personal here but making assumptions like that well what can I say.

Have you ever been on an aeroplane ? or are you afriad to fly, oh let me guess you think the pilot is flying it, how narrow minded are you, wow you can control 4 wheels and a steering wheel.

Oh obviously you've not seen the Mercedes S class thats been out for the last 2 years.

LaughingLaughingLaughingLaughing

Pure 5dr SD4 Auto
Fuji, Ebony, Tech Pack, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, Front Fogs, Park Assist, Rear Camera, Power-Fold Mirrors, Xenons & Spare Wheel
Got car 9th Dec 11
REJECTED car 9th Jan 12 - paint runs down doors & seals one side, obvious bad re-spray before delivery! Big Cry
New car arrived 31st March 12 Very Happy
19-01-2012 10:37am
SW6RR

(19-01-2012 01:17am)dandavis1 Wrote:  I'm amazed anyone bought park assist - such a ridiculous gimmick. If you can't park a car you shouldn't have a licence.

It also makes me wonder about the future of the apparent driverless car. With park assist, are LR liable for any damage as a result of it not working? Similarly, will any manufacturer ever commit to fully automated cars if any deaths/damage are then the fault of the manufacturer?

I thought not.

Gosh, I know what you mean. Nothing makes me prouder of myself than a well executed parallel-parking manoeuvre.

In relation to the driver-less car. I imagine that manufacturers will only bring these to market when they are able to fully insure themselves for liability. Insurers will only provide this protection when the technology passes threshold tests.

And seriously - don't expect much positive feedback for making sweeping, clumsy statements.

Arrived (5/11/11): SD4 5-door "Presnamic" Lux Very Happy Auto, Fuji, Spirit/Tan, Style 8 20" Wheels, fully loaded (bar RSE, smoker's pack and Homelink)
19-01-2012 10:51am
LDT

(19-01-2012 09:31am)dandavis1 Wrote:  You're right, I'm a 28 yr old technophobe who's never been on one of those big metal birds before. They scare me. When I go abroad I prefer to swim there.

Only 28??!! I had an impression that you were a grumpy 60+ year old, and old for your years at that! Pipe and cardigan type (no offence intended to 60+ year olds, pipe smokers and those who wear cardis!!). LaughingLaughingLaughing

Prestige SD4 Auto, Ipanema/Ambience, Style 4 Wheels, Pan Roof, Privacy, Dimming Mirror, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps.
[Image: 116286.png]
19-01-2012 02:30pm
Claud

There are a fair few folk out there who cant reverse park, so it is useful to them, you likely have seen people make all sorts of manouvres to avoid reversing, including mounting the pavement in a broad arc!

I can do it and dont ding alloys or hit bumpers. But I can do it a lot faster with the Park AssistThumbs Up

I am old enough to remember Reginald Molehusband who would show us how to execute the prefect reverse parking manouvre on the public information broadcasts on TV in the 60's and 70's. Park assist is the perfect Regie.

[Image: 118733.png]
2013 Discovery HSE Luxury Corris Grey
Sold - 2011 Evoque SD4 Prestige, Auto, Magnaride, Orkney Grey, Lux Pack, TPMS, Heated Steering Wheel
2010 Freelander SD4
1997 Defender 90 XD Wolf (ex Ghurkas)
1991 Defender County 110 V8
1959 Series II
1953 Series I
1952 Minerva Ambulance
19-01-2012 10:59pm
Rossy100

Park Assist issues

Seriously now.... What has this thread turned in to?

Assuming it does work (which incidentally was the question in the original post) Park Assist is a neat feature that some people will use and others won't (the choice is there after all!).

Let's be honest, the Evoque is a great 4x4 but the majority of drivers will never take off road.... Does this mean everyone should get the 2WD version??

The car is full of toys which may be 'unnecessary' but for many add to the fun and excitement of ownership. Whether I use park assist once, or every day..... I wouldn't dream of ordering the car without it!
19-01-2012 11:08pm
Billionaireboysclub

(19-01-2012 02:30pm)LDT Wrote:  Only 28??!! I had an impression that you were a grumpy 60+ year old, and old for your years at that! Pipe and cardigan type (no offence intended to 60+ year olds, pipe smokers and those who wear cardis!!). LaughingLaughingLaughing

I am a 65 yr old, pipe smoking, cardi wearing, horlicks drinking man.....

Buying the Dynamic....I want to return to my youth...

Ranger Rover Evoque Dynamic 5 Door SD4 - Santorini Black/Vortex + Lux Pack
Ordered & Deposit at dealer : 26th Sep 11
Build Date : 17 Feb
Delivery: 6 Mar woohooo!
20-01-2012 12:59am