Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ordered...that was the easy bit!
eddkawasaki

Ordered...that was the easy bit!

Hi All,
First post but been reading with interest for a while. Have finally ordered my Evoque and was told to expect October delivery but could come forward, in the meantime I’m trying to get a spec together that I’m happy with.

So far we have decided on a 5 door manual SD4, Havana is currently winning the race for colour but SWMBO seems to think that she likes the Firenze with the black contrast roof which I had ruled out until I saw one at the dealers while looking at the Havana in the sun recently and it did look very nice. Panoramic roof and black interior have also requested by the boss, Spare wheel, keyless entry, dimming mirror and electric tailgate are also on the prelim list at present.

I’m erring on the side of the dynamic at the moment but that may change after I drive one as they only had a pure manual demonstrator in last time I was there. Hopefully they will have a dynamic manual next so I can compare the suspension systems.

I have a couple of questions for some of you owners out there regarding some of the options to help determine if I can live without them or not

Surround cameras, How much use do you get out of these? Are they only really of much use during the initial period until you got used to the dimensions of the car?

Adaptive head lights. Are these actually useful or are the standard Xenons fine?

I can’t help feeling like I’m adding stuff for the sake of it and I’m going to end up not using them after a while.
Cheers, looking forward to your opinions

Edd
30-05-2012 05:05pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
1stRangie

RE: Ordered...that was the easy bit!

Edd,
we added pretty much all of the things that you have mentioned, now we have only had the car since Saturday afternoon so I am hardly an expert but... We drove a standard prestige but ordered a dynamic, the dynamic seems very slightly firmer if memory serves correctly. Some of the perceived difference could easily be down to the 20" wheels to be fair. Panoramic roof, essential, enough said! We originally thought about black interior (in our monochromatic phase) however I thought it was too much so we went for the black/red combination but with the black headliner which even SWMBO now loves. Keyless entry, it was me who didn't want this, however, this time, it was me who was wrong, it does work well. Dimming mirror, must work well... The plank that decided to drive within a few feet of our back bumper never dazzled me at all. Now this could have been due to the extra height(?) but it was a pleasant change to the Civic. Electric tailgate, this was a very last minute addition to our original order. To be fair I don't know just how useful it is but other forum members who were lucky enough to have theirs over the winter thought it was better than getting their hands dirty. What I will say is that it has made me smile each time I use it. Adaptive headlights were added by me so I am slightly biased about their usefulness, but on the couple of occasions it has been dark when I have turned into our drive I can actually see down it. Their true usefulness will be better tested during Autumn/Winter when the nights draw in. We listed all of the options and basically ticked the ones we liked the sound of, crossed the ones we didn't and then discussed the ones left (park assist for instance). Eventually after what seemed like a thousand permutations we settled on our final order (some being left out for financial reasons e.g. surround cameras which could be handy in some circumstances but you have to draw a line somewhere) and we are very happy with what we finally chose.

MY2016 Dynamic HSE four door, Yulong White and a few selected additions. Gone but never forgotten; Dynamic SD4 Coupe, Fuji White...
30-05-2012 10:35pm
Straydox

Welcome. I'm two weeks into a 5 door manual Prestige, whether you go Dynamic or Prestige is a matter of taste - the Prestige has better quality leather (including a leather top to the dash) so smells divine everytime you get in. AD didn't do it for me - because the standard suspension is excellent - and then there is the eye watering cost of the 20" tyres and those rims (19" rims are a no cost option) that are easier to curb so I found the Prestige decision easy to make.

Keyless entry is neat - but a security risk, you could be paying for fuel with a locked car on the garage forecourt and someone could get in a drive away. So many cars have keyless entry now that the criminal fraternity know it. None of the Evoque models have an ignition switch anyway - so once unlocked you can leave the keys in your pocket, hit the start button and drive away. The RRE version of Keyless entry doesn't link memory seat settings to the key fobs like the German cars do - so I think the option is of little real world value as there is little benefit. Your call of course.

I have surround cameras as an option - to be honest I ordered them after a test drive having just got out of my A5 Cabrio and was struck by the width on the Evoque back then. If you sit high in the car then the width is easy to judge - they have great novelty value unless you are going off road on a regular basis...I don't think I'd bother.

Auto-dimming interior mirror works well - should be standard. Auto tailgate I like the option - but had to draw the line somewhere.

Pano roof is worth having - however paying £500 to have the remainder painted seems very poor value - this thread Mauritius Blue Prestige images shows a shot of the car from above - look how little of the roof is left in body colour.....

Standard Xenons are excellent - a broad, none dazzling spread of bluey white light - would be difficult to improve by much.

Do consider the 825w Meridian upgrade - its amazing.

Delivered 15th May 2012, rejected and returned 4th Feb 2013 - SD4 5 door Prestige manual with a bucket full of rattles Mauritius Blue. Crazy Audi MY2020 RSQ3
(This post was last modified: 31-05-2012 12:24am by Straydox.)
31-05-2012 12:15am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Surround cam is not worth paying extra for, I have it and the novelty soon wears off, the only use is off road. Heated steering wheel and electric tailgate IMHO along with the pano roof are must haves. Unless you regularly park on street then forget the auto park feature, I've never used it in 10 months of ownership. If you want superior leather and AD then go for the expensive Plus pack on a Dynamic, the seats are supremely comfortable and you get electric adjustment and memory on both front seats. The 825w audio is great but the lower spec or is pretty good too. I also have dual view and tv, rarely use either as most of my driving is by myself.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
31-05-2012 06:49am
eddkawasaki

Guys,

Thanks for your replies some good info there reassuring to know I’m thinking along the same lines as you guys. straydox & 1strangie congrats on your new arrivals.

With regard to AD I’m coming from an Astra VXR which is hardly what you would call comfotable on the pothole riddled roads of the aberdeen area. The pure we test drove felt really nice and my wife (who was not convinced that “we” wanted a range rover) complained how harsh the ride was in the Astra all the way home! I’m hoping to get a drive in a dynamic when I get back off of the ship this time so that will help with that decision.

The black interior was a result of not liking any of the other options and not being able to afford the plus pack really. If they had done the verve one the same as the energy i.e. just the centre strip of the seat in the red I would have it in a heartbeat but I feel there is too much red for my taste and I’m not sure how it would go with the Havana paint. I feel I would be so paranoid about the pursuit light leather getting filthy that I had to rule that out straight away also which left energy or black and like the red would the green go with Havana paint?

I did have the 825w sound system specced in my first incarnations but the recent price hike put paid to that idea and after driving the pure I found the standard one more than adequate for my needs but still a vast improvement on the Vauxhall one we have now!

Tim, TV and dual view were also quickly dismissed, if I want to watch TV I’ll stay home and drive the sofa at least I can have a beer then Very Happy

With the surround cameras and active headlights part of me says “what’s another £920 when you are spending £40K+ on it might as well have it and not use it at least it’s there if you need it” then my sensible head kicks in. The last thing I want is to be thinking “I wish I had this or that” whenever I drive it.
31-05-2012 07:50am
swabes

So - I have Havana and love it. Firenze looks great too. I guess you need to decide if you are going for a 'sporty' or a 'luxury' look. For me - I was going for the luxury as the performance of the Evoque certainly isnt sporty to my mind(!)

Therefore I went Prestige to get the better interior, then added the AD suspension and 20" style 6 wheels as I thought the multi-spoke standard 19s would be a real pain to keep clean. Works out less that taking the Dynamic and adding the crazy 'rally style' improved interior.

One thing that I have noticed is that Havana with the pano roof looks like a solid roof from the outside - really surprises people when they get it!

Just my opinions of course.

Ordered 5-2-12 - Collected 23-5-2012
5 door Prestige SD4 Lux in Havana/Ambiance, AD, S6 wheels, Spare wheel
Current: FL Sport, 2 Fiat 500s, MX-5
[Image: 130338.png]
31-05-2012 01:17pm
PhilSkill

If your thinking on budgeting which options you can afford, obviously money no object you'd have-em-all!

From Dynamic/Prestige for general road commuting, I would add in this order till you wince at the price.
+ Panoramic roof
+ Electric Tail Gate
+ Spare Wheel
+ Auto Dimming Headlights
+ Adaptive lights
+ Heated steering wheel
+ 825W Sound System
+ Surround Cameras
+ TV/Dual View

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
31-05-2012 02:05pm
eddkawasaki

Thanks for the replies,

Swabes, the Havana is a nice colour and looks fantastic with your light interior but I could not trust myself with such a light colour interior.

Philskill, I agree entirely money no object then stuff it full to the brim! The spec I keep ending up at is (ignoring colour and interior for now)
5 Door Dynamic SD4
+ Panoramic roof
+ Electric Tail Gate
+ Spare Wheel
+ Adaptive lights
+ Heated steering wheel
+ Surround Cameras
+ Loadspace Stowage Rails
+ Park assist
+ Keyless Entry
+ Auto dimming rear-view mirror

Prior to the recent price hike I had the 825w sound system in too but that has had to go due to budgetary restraints.
31-05-2012 04:44pm
PigLauncher

(31-05-2012 04:44pm)eddkawasaki Wrote:  Thanks for the replies,

Swabes, the Havana is a nice colour and looks fantastic with your light interior but I could not trust myself with such a light colour interior.

Philskill, I agree entirely money no object then stuff it full to the brim! The spec I keep ending up at is (ignoring colour and interior for now)
5 Door Dynamic SD4
+ Panoramic roof
+ Electric Tail Gate
+ Spare Wheel
+ Adaptive lights
+ Heated steering wheel
+ Surround Cameras
+ Loadspace Stowage Rails
+ Park assist
+ Keyless Entry
+ Auto dimming rear-view mirror

Prior to the recent price hike I had the 825w sound system in too but that has had to go due to budgetary restraints.

Good call. I (well the wife) pick mine up tomorrow. I already regret not getting the spare wheel.

Manual Dynamic, Firenze, Chrome Shadows, Santorini Pano,Verve,Ebony Headliner,Lux Pack, Privacy Glass, Adaptive Xenons.TPMS. June the 20th.
31-05-2012 04:57pm
Cedric

I have the surround cameras and use them on a daily basis, then again, I'm only two weeks in and still learning the dimensions of the car. It is useful for parking to put the car inch perfect. Apart from that it's a nice gimmick. Guess you can do without, but I'm glad I got them.
31-05-2012 05:01pm