Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Oil on drive after first service
Kentboy

Oil on drive after first service

Guy Salmon of Maidstone carried out the first service on Monday, just 3444 miles on the clock!
Left the car on my drive since and drove it for the first time this morning only to find a reasonal amount of oil on the drive.

My drive was block paved 13 years ago and we have had many cars since (currently the Evoque and a 5 series BMW) not one drop of oil from any of them on the drive until now.

The car seems fine so is this careless servicing with oil over the engin and dripping off later or something else?

At these servicing prices I really don't expect to have my drive ruined.

Evoque Prestige SD4, Barolo Black contrast white roof, Ambiance Upholstery with Figured Macassar wood insert, Privecy glass, Lux Pack, 20" Style 6 Alloys, Spare Wheel. Ordered 10th March estimated completion date 6th July.
10-07-2013 08:26am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WB
WB

RE: Oil on drive after first service

Sounds like they may not have tightened the draining bolt or the oil filter properly. I would suggest you avoid driving the car and get them to come and collect it on a low loader.

The dealership should also sort out your paving.
10-07-2013 09:54am
rchrdleigh

Something similar happened to me with a different dealer, oil drain plug worked itself loose and dumped oil on drive. Called LRA who arranged for car to be returned to Dealer and Evoque hire car and Dealer came and pressure washed drive to remove oil. Also gave me a very nice food hamper as an apology.
Could also just be excess oil on the undertray that has run off while parked but I'd still get it checked.
10-07-2013 01:39pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Call out LRA, they will trailer it back to the dealer. Never ignore even a small oil leak, even though older Land Rovers are renowned for them. In November last year I ignored rainbow drips on the street outside my house, put the Defender into winter storage until April and left a large sheet of cardboard under incase the drips I had seen really were from my "never leaked oil in 11 years" Defender........... In April I got a bill for £1200 to supply and fit a new transfer box and casing to it. Those rainbow spots on the street had been mine, even though nothing else leaked out over the winter.............. that's because there really was no more oil to leak out, it had already been left on a Scottish hillside and the roads coming home! By the time I got it to the garage that repairs the car when I break it I had driven about 70 miles on a gearbox with no oil in the transfer mechanism, no wonder it felt a bit strange to drive! Shortly after that little expense I whacked the tailgate of the Evoque!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 10-07-2013 02:23pm by XFullFatTim.)
10-07-2013 02:09pm
Trapdoor

It may be something as simple as the 'mechanic' (term used loosely) being shoddy when filling the car with oil - had it happen to me with my BMW, and the git must have spilt a litre of oil all over the engine and exhaust and I never got rid of it smelling of burning oil) - but you need to get it looked into.

I had my BMW back to the stealer 3 times because it just continued to drip oil and smell of burnt oil, although the oil level never dropped - and I was assured it was a very small spillage on my engine - hmmmm....

I get very anal about drips of 'stuff' on my drive and garage floor, and even the A/C condensate if it's excessive will get a poke and a sniff to check it isn't anything more serious. I'll go mental if after my service I get oil drips...

Had: 2013 Prestige Auto Lux
Have: MY17 Autobiography in Waitomo Grey with Ivory/Espresso interior, HUD, Adaptive Cruise, Adaptive Dynamics, Dynamic Driveline, Wading, Massage Seats. Delivered 17/09/16
16-07-2013 09:09pm
Kentboy

Advised the dealer and they came out and collected the car form my fife at work immediately and took it back and found a damaged sump gasket. I wonder how that happened!

Then send a company out to power wash the drive, all of the drive.

Then the dealer called for me to give them 9 out of 10 for the service.

My drive looks good!

Evoque Prestige SD4, Barolo Black contrast white roof, Ambiance Upholstery with Figured Macassar wood insert, Privecy glass, Lux Pack, 20" Style 6 Alloys, Spare Wheel. Ordered 10th March estimated completion date 6th July.
21-07-2013 05:28pm