Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
November Top Gear magazine
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

A brilliant spread about taking their Dynamic 5 Door off the LRE and out onto some seriously serious trails of the Atholl Estates - not the routes usually used by LRE Dunkeld, there were no tracks where TG went, just mud and heather and buried rocks. Guess what? They broke it!

Not seriously, they didn't remove the Dynamic's removable bits so managed to pull off the rear trim between the exhausts and squash the front bumper taking out the surround cams. They had taken the precaution of fitting some seriously aggressive mud terrain tyres (will have to find out which brand as they look very very macho!) and one of the experimental Mantec sump guards. It also helped that they had LR's offroad driving wizard Roger Crowthorne riding shotgun. Yes they needed a couple of "assists" from the accompanying tricked up V8 powered Defender 90 that was with them. It got out otherwise unscathed - there are some seriousy deep scratches on the sumpguard though and it was the 8mm Aluminum one........
TG's verdict " It might not be as capable off road as a Defender, but it's not supposed to be. It might have showy bits of plastic that need some modification, and it might not be the car you'd use for a hardcore expedition. But for a car so brilliant on road, the extent of Evoque's ability off road is quite astounding. Looking back down the glen (they were on the summits around Glen Bruar), you see the vastness, the roads we didn't use, and have to wonder what it takes to be a proper Land Rover because from where I'm sitting, this feels like it!"

Good on yer TG, now go try it in an X3/ Q3! If you want to read this in WH Smith unfortunately you can't as this issue is in a cellophane wrapped pack with a James May guide to expensive wrist watches . I'll try to scan it if anybody wants a copy of this item.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2012 06:17pm by XFullFatTim.)
11-10-2012 06:11pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

RE: November Top Gear magazine

I'm sure there are some on here well versed in removing magazines from their cellophane wrap to take a gander in the shop without having to pay for it .... they're just not normally car mags!

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
11-10-2012 06:15pm
XFullFatTim

CJ I think even the "experts" might struggle with this one, I had to use scissors to get into my copy!
I would like to think that TG may have filmed this expedition for the show, but I doubt it as the item was written by Tom Ford and not one of the presenters which is a pity as they set out to prove to themselves that the Evoque isn't a "girlie" car and is a proper Landie.
Better watch the used car listings for OY12 OUB when it gets returned to LR's press garage, it will need to have it's OG paintwork touched up a fair bit, at least they enjoyed putting the scratches there in the first place.
AND, before anybody asks the answer is NO, I have a Defender to take into that kind of wild country.......................

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 11-10-2012 06:32pm by XFullFatTim.)
11-10-2012 06:28pm
Stadt Panzer

I'd love to have a scan of it if you find the time.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
11-10-2012 06:28pm
rchrdleigh

Also explains why LRE Centres use Prestige rather than Dynamic as it gives you more ground clearance and better approach and departure angles.
11-10-2012 06:31pm
flurberman

(11-10-2012 06:28pm)Stadt Panzer Wrote:  I'd love to have a scan of it if you find the time.

+1

Orkney Grey, Si4 Dynamic Coupe with LUX pack, privacy glass, 20" shadow chrome wheels, heated steering wheel, adaptive xenons, TPMS & contrast panoramic roof.
11-10-2012 06:44pm
FujiSan

I agree Tim. I can't help wondering now if, for the sake of balance, TG could be persuaded to do the same with a Q3 and the X1?

I can't help but think that the supposed 'competition' just does not have the DNA to work as well as an LRE off the black, smooth stuff.

TD4 Pure - Now a rare breed...

[Image: 131166.png]
12-10-2012 06:36pm
XFullFatTim

Should we petition Top Gear to repeat the test with Qashqai, Q3, X1, CRV etc etc just to show how useless they really are when it comes to big boy's tough stuff?

12-10-2012 07:45pm
Evo-king

+1 there Tim.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
12-10-2012 11:13pm
FujiSan

Absolutely!

I have read the article now, and can't help but look at my LRE in a whole new light. Definitely got an adventurous streak has my motor!

Laughing

TD4 Pure - Now a rare breed...

[Image: 131166.png]
(This post was last modified: 13-10-2012 09:11am by FujiSan.)
13-10-2012 09:09am