Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Next a Evoque - Petrol or Diesel
mark_n

RE: Next a Evoque - Petrol or Diesel

(01-05-2014 03:43pm)Evogirl Wrote:  Cheers Mark...looking forward to a more spirited drive than my SD4 tractor

Takes time to completely run in though so give it a few thousand miles, you'll also find it gives a very relaxed cruise on the motorway. For best performance you need to run the gearbox in S mode which means it holds on to gears when accelerating and feels generally more lively.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
01-05-2014 04:58pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
MY13 Prestige

Next a Evoque - Petrol or Diesel

I hate the diesel engine noise - I love my car when it's switched off. A bit like my partner. Lovely when asleep.

Using Tapatalk
01-05-2014 05:46pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Land Rover must have changed an awful lot of soundening material in the latest cars because several people have expressed surprise that I have bought a petrol engined Evoque - it is noticebly quieter inside and out than my last one. I haven't yet had a frosty morning to start up on although we got down to +2C here last night and it was as quiet as normal.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
01-05-2014 07:41pm
Evogirl

Advice taken on board....gently does it initially.
01-05-2014 08:13pm
mark_n

Yes, of course, gently does it initially but the point I was trying to make was that the engine gets better as it accumulates a few miles, all to do with the parts bedding in and loosening up. I did a 200 mile drive last night, motorway and spirited cross country and the car was great.

Mark

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 06:54am by mark_n.)
02-05-2014 06:03am
DfunkyT

A week with my petrol and I've not found it lacking in any way. A long time ago I had a Mazda CX-7, which is more or less the same weight and dimensions and (rumour has it that it's the same Mazda/Ford collaboration engine in the Evoque, or a descendant of), but anyway, the 2 liter turbo packed a punch on that one as well. Interestingly, both sound(ed) diesel-esque on start up. However, the 9 speed mated to the Evoque brings on the power whenever it's needed. Off to the mountains again tomorrow!
02-05-2014 11:16am
buckiebabyrr

S mode in the Si4 is really good love my petrol cars never owned or thought about buying a diesel.

Car history so far......
2005 Vauxhall corsa sxi
2007 Vauxhall corsa vxr
2008 Vauxhall astra nurbergring vxr
2013 Ford focus st3
2014 Cool - MY2014 9 speed auto,Si4 engine,Dynamic,Fuji white,Santorini roof,Black design pack,Heated steering wheel,Lunar/ivory interior,Privacy glass
09-06-2014 03:52pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

If I can ever afford to buy my 3rd Evoque it will be a petrol one, for no other reason than that in 2016 EU is imposing very high additional taxes on diesels because of the particulate emissions that still get out even with a DPF. For the annual mileage I do it makes no difference whether I go Diesel or Petrol, however I will object to having to visit forecourts twice as often as I do in the SD4

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
09-06-2014 04:07pm
J77

I'm facing the same problem. At the moment I'm running around in a big old 3.0ltr diesel D4, I don't do a massive amount of miles so I don't get the best from diesel. Got a Disco Sport on order but the dealers unsure if it will be available from launch with a petrol engine and if petrol will be available on all specs.

At the moment it's looking like a diesel again for me until my dealer gets more info on the car.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
09-06-2014 07:05pm
mark_n

First, Tim is wrong when he suggests you need to fill up a petrol Evoque twice as often as a diesel. I've done 24000 miles in mine and I consistently get 28mpg and that is with me driving it hard. I doubt any Evoque gets an average 56mpg and, besides, the fuel tank is bigger.

Second, I wouldn't bank on more petrol Land Rovers. There are currently but two - one particular Evoque variant, one RRS/FFRR, both of them in top spec. I don't expect either the Freelander or next gen Discos to have then.

Third, the diesel Evoque is a sluggish old thing. Sure, you can wind it up on the motorway but take off and overtaking ability are poor. The Si4 is a much better performer but you have to use it in S mode and be prepared to rev the engine to achieve the maximum power which comes at higher revs than the diesel.

Petrol all the way for me.

Mark

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2014 09:44pm by mark_n.)
10-06-2014 06:51am