Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Next a Evoque - Petrol or Diesel
MY13 Prestige

Hi all,

When I place my next order I'm considering a petrol engine. I hate the diesel noise - this is prob my first and last diesel car. Re resale value, do petrol engines fare worse?

Using Tapatalk
30-04-2014 03:30pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Next a Evoque - Petrol or Diesel

Bluntly - YES! However for those that only make short trips and loads of stop start running they make more sense than a diesel so those who have had issues with DPF's are returning to petrol engines.
I wanted to change the order for my Zanzibar baby to the Si4 as my annual mileage is boarderline for justifying the extra cost of the fuel, however since getting it the improved fuel consumption of the 9 speed auto (I'm averaging 46mpg in local driving on my 16 mile drive to town!) has made the diesel the better choice for me again.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 30-04-2014 05:31pm by XFullFatTim.)
30-04-2014 05:27pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

There's more to life than fuel economy and it doesn't take much to work out that you will lose far more in depreciation than the cost of the fuel you put in it. In round numbers, my Si4 has depreciated £15k and I have spent £5k on fuel for it over 22k miles. I might have saved £500 - £1000 with a diesel but in the total scheme of things, it's not that big a deal.

The diesels are more expensive to service but their fuel cost per mile is lower. The diesels are relatively sluggish and the petrol with 237 bhp has a respectable turn of speed, none of this hesitancy when pulling away. The petrol is a more sporting drive but it is by no stretch of the imagination a sports car.

A bigger problem is that there is now only a single model variant which uses a petrol engine which may or may not suit which I'm afraid does reflect the lack of popularity of the Si4.

There is no denying that you will lose more in depreciation with a petrol because fuel economy IS more important for people buying secondhand.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
30-04-2014 06:10pm
Evogirl

My new Si4 is ready for collection on Saturday, I'm coming from a diesel manual Pure Tech to the new 9 speed auto. For me this car is a long term keeper so depreciation is not an issue. Anyway I'm sick of pleasing others in this life I'm pleasing me now with an Si4.
(This post was last modified: 30-04-2014 07:53pm by Evogirl.)
30-04-2014 07:53pm
MarkA_

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_exhaust

Worse than petrol in almost every way. If I was a betting man, I would bet that things swing back the petrol way when people start realising the long term health effects of having so many diesel cars on the road far outweighs a few extra mpgs.

Now: MY14 Dynamic Mauritius Blue/Contrast Pano, IP, BP, PIP, Powered Tailgate, IncontrolR+S, etc.
History: '08 BMW 123d MSport Coupe, '01 Mini Cooper, '91 BMW 316i, '96 Mitsubishi FTO, '96 Mazda 323, '88 Holden Camira
(This post was last modified: 30-04-2014 09:03pm by MarkA_.)
30-04-2014 09:01pm
mark_n

(30-04-2014 07:53pm)Evogirl Wrote:  My new Si4 is ready for collection on Saturday, I'm coming from a diesel manual Pure Tech to the new 9 speed auto. For me this car is a long term keeper so depreciation is not an issue. Anyway I'm sick of pleasing others in this life I'm pleasing me now with an Si4.

Good for you. I was out walking on Exmoor today and looked at the 3 cars of my walking group, my Evoque, an Audi and a Citroen. I was so pleased the Evoque is mine and I know the Si4 gives the best drive, having tried the SD4 and not liked it.

Enjoy the Si4...

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
(This post was last modified: 01-05-2014 06:48am by mark_n.)
30-04-2014 11:14pm
timhum

It will be interesting to get some details about the new 'Hotfire' diesel and petrol engines. The petrol engine could well be reasonably powerful and economic although in the past economy has never been a strong suit for LandRover. All being well it might be just what many of us diesel haters are looking for.

Tim
Evoque SD4 Pure Tech, Auto, Orkney, Panoramic roof, dipping and folding mirrors
01-05-2014 09:33am
PhilSkill

The future is likely to be in the smaller petrol-turbo engines, until Hybrid/Electric/Hydrogen Tech becomes viable mainstream, (and probably the oil companies can no longer make huge profits from it!)

Diesels may also have DPF, which is a concern at the moment, but don't forget Petrols do still have Catalytic Converters that were just as unreliable and expensive, but now are hardly ever mentioned (mainly as you can't buy leaded fuel accidently easily anymore), but tech and implementation does improve.

DPF Regeneration is a drain on fuel and effects MPG though.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
01-05-2014 02:26pm
Evogirl

Cheers Mark...looking forward to a more spirited drive than my SD4 tractor
01-05-2014 03:43pm
cjfp

If your SD4 is a tractor then you're not pushing it hard enough. Wink. Admittedly it's not a porsche (and neither would I expect to be) but, having come from a porsche, I find my SD4 has plenty of poke

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
01-05-2014 04:43pm