Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Misty lenses
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Misty lenses

2 RRS's had them, 2 FFRR's had them and now my RRE follows the family trait and has condensation inside both rear lamp units.........................
Now FFRR's have been in production for 10 years, RRS for 7 years and LR still don't have a cure. Over on Martin's other forums there are "fixes" such as drilling tiny holes in the units but then you run the risk of them filling up with rain water unless you do it from the back/ inside the bodywork.
I never seem to see other marques with misty light lenses so how come LR gets it wrong with every new car it launches? It is infuriating to see those lovely petal lights all misted up.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 15-02-2012 04:48pm by XFullFatTim.)
15-02-2012 04:46pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
RacingSnake

RE: Misty lenses

I've seen this across a number of marques, including on my own cars, so I don't htink it's a unique problem to land rover.
The rre might be more suceptible to it though as I remember reading a specific passage about the lights misting up and a statement saying it will not impact or impede the light output or beam pattern.

Ordered: Fuji Dynamic Lux Coupe / style 7 wheels / Privacy glass / adaptive xenons / something else which I've forgotton.
Should be end of April (was March, then April, then end of May/June).
Collected, Friday 13th Shocked April 2012
15-02-2012 04:50pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

It doesn't impact on anything just that it looks awful on a premium priced car

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 15-02-2012 07:28pm by XFullFatTim.)
15-02-2012 04:57pm
lngrn36

The brighter the lights the more heat. Moisture will be drawn in like under a vacuum as it cools. More heat means more time to pull in moisture.
Sad

Tim
Evoque Coupe Pure+
SI4 - Auto
Sumatra Black - Ebony/Ebony
Climate package
Satellite Radio
15-02-2012 06:40pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cjfp

See here too

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Condensat...ndensation

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
15-02-2012 06:57pm
alibeau

Hmmm, Hubby has/had this problem on his new RRS, I could have sworn he said that they were going to replace the whole unit?

Will double check.....

Ali.

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
15-02-2012 08:30pm
Wired

Its very common and dpends a bit on the size (internally) of the headlights.
What happens is that during use the inside air warms up due to the lamps and warm air sucks up water.
When you park your car and it gets cold outside the air in the light cools of and cant hold much less water. If it reaches dewpoint water will form on the coldest places, like the windows in your house can condensate.

The bigger the inside of the housing, the more air is inside and hence the qty of water in it.

Is it something to worry about? Not if the design is prepared for this, meaning there will be air holes and water outlet holes. The same you find in the bottom of your car doors Smile

Its just not a pretty sight.

SD4 Automatic Prestige BALTIC BLUE - 5 DOOR - 19" wheels - Xeons - Tech pack - winter pack - Pano roof
15-02-2012 08:45pm