Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
LED TURN SIGNAL BULBS
mfhphil

RE: LED TURN SIGNAL BULBS

Can I just say how much I'm enjoying this thread, it's exactly how a forum should be, helpful, funny and interesting. Just a pity I haven't got a clue what you're all talking about lol.

Phil
28-07-2013 07:07am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BFGEvoqueMan

(27-07-2013 04:55pm)dynamicgirl Wrote:  LIONHEAD, if I had known you had the RHD version I would easily have sent you my brand new smoked VB Edition LHD lights! I would have preferred to have RHD ones, but I am sure the European LHD adaptive lights I have will pass an MOT here in the UK, so was happy to settle for them. If you want to do a swap for the ones you already have fitted, then I would be happy to send them to you. Dan is indeed a star though, I can vouch for that!

LHD Evoque lights WILL NOT pass an MOT as they have a kick to the right. The MOT needs them to be totally flat or dip to the left (British nearside). I know this as my RHD lights will not pass a German TUV inspection, but are suitable for temporary tourist use only. There is no adjustment possible of the shutter to make it fully flat beam.

This also applies to Halogen and non-adaptive Zenon's. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Sad

(27-07-2013 11:36pm)LIONHEAD Wrote:  You are definitely smarter than the average bear! lol I'm pretty sure we don't have that extra lamp that turn on during cornering in the US. I know they swivel by just turning the wheel left and right during slow speeds. I know what you mean though as I have it on my Jaguar XKR and it's very noticeable when I'm turning slowly left or right, an additional lamp turns on which looks like a H8 type halogen bulb. I don't remember seeing that on my Evoque. That might be what's triggering the warning light on the dash.

Think this is the cause of the problem? I have swapped many sets of lights for people here in Germany (Hal, Zen, Ad Zen) and RHD to LHD is plug and play. Do your original lights have the extra cornering light which your new lights do? If not then I would definitely suggest that this is what the problem is.

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
(This post was last modified: 28-07-2013 04:31pm by BFGEvoqueMan.)
28-07-2013 04:26pm
dynamicgirl

(28-07-2013 04:26pm)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  LHD Evoque lights WILL NOT pass an MOT as they have a kick to the right. The MOT needs them to be totally flat or dip to the left (British nearside). I know this as my RHD lights will not pass a German TUV inspection, but are suitable for temporary tourist use only. There is no adjustment possible of the shutter to make it fully flat beam.

This also applies to Halogen and non-adaptive Zenon's. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Sad

Hi BFGE, I realise they have a kick up, but the kick up on them differs between the Halogens and Xenons. It is much more pronounced on the Halogens. Pic of LHD Halogen beam pattern with normal 15 degree wedge kick up.

[Image: 67b65873-7829-4458-bcf0-9ab57ca1298c_zps0985da55.jpg]

Pic of AFS Xenon RHD beam pattern which has more of a zig zag pattern than a kick up, which is definitely less than 15 degrees.

[Image: c2af185f-f258-4f05-bdff-d8a5264e6b35_zpsa11a586e.jpg]

When I have my new lights fitted I will have them checked by the garage and if they are unsuitable to pass an MOT then I will just swap my RHD AFS Lights back in before MOT time. After all, I know the LHD lights do not cause any dazzle to road users on either side of the road, so that being my top priority, it won't be a biggie to swap them over as and when I need them. I have checked the lighting regs and if I am stopped by the boys in blue, they will be able to see (even on my LHD lights) the markings which clearly show they are suitable for driving on the left hand side of the road, ie DCR --->. If there is no dazzle to road users and they have the correct markings that cannot be removed from the headlamps and can be seen clearly on the casing of the light by raising the bonnet of the car (as stipulated in the lighting regulations), then I anticipate no problems with the police. Passing a German TUV is stricter than the UK MOT test, where even black tape on a headlight is acceptable funnily enough. It's not as if I need to register my car or have need of a Certificate of Conformity, ..it is already registered, so is slightly different than moving a RHD car abroad to the continent. There are many people with the facelift Jaguar XF (uses the same headlight tech as the Evoque) and their cars with RHD lights have obtained CoC's and have passed the strict CT, the French version of the MOT without a problem. I wouldn't do anything that would endanger anyone on the road or cause them discomfort by way of dazzling them and I know that both my RHD and LHD lights do not do either.

Taken from the UK MOT Testers Regulations on the aim of headlamps. It doesn't say the beam pattern has to be TOTALLY flat -

"A flat top or other alternative headlamp dipped beam pattern (not being one of the examples) is acceptable providing all of the beam upper edge, including any “peak” is contained within the appropriate tolerance band"

I really appreciate your input though, thanks. Thumbs Up
(This post was last modified: 28-07-2013 07:05pm by dynamicgirl.)
28-07-2013 07:02pm
dynamicgirl

(27-07-2013 11:36pm)LIONHEAD Wrote:  I'm pretty sure we don't have that extra lamp that turn on during cornering in the US. I know they swivel by just turning the wheel left and right during slow speeds. I know what you mean though as I have it on my Jaguar XKR and it's very noticeable when I'm turning slowly left or right, an additional lamp turns on which looks like a H8 type halogen bulb. I don't remember seeing that on my Evoque. That might be what's triggering the warning light on the dash.

Tom, I have dug a little further and it seems that for some reason Land Rover North America decided not to fit Static Bending Lights to ANY of their vehicles on the US market, so I really think this is the most likely cause of the issue with your new Special Edition headlights. There wouldn't be any reason why simply swapping to RHD AFS from LHD AFS lights would throw up an error, so as the SBL is the only thing that is different from your original lights, I would say that this must be the culprit. Hopefully as we discussed over the weekend you'll be able to find the solution in a set of NAS AFS Special Edition lights. Thumbs Up

I read on the web last night that some very clever person in the UK managed to retrofit SBL to the AFS lights on his Discovery 3, by adding a couple of wires to pins in the plug, a bulb (naturally!) and by enabling the SBL function via some programming software. I thought if the plugs were similar then perhaps an auto electrician could do the same thing for your Evoque and you could make use of the lights you have already. However the plugs don't look anything like those on our Evoques and as you said to me the other day, it may be beyond your local dealership tech guys to sort this out for you, considering they couldn't even work out why your car was throwing up the AFS error Laughing. The retrofit made interesting reading though, I was mightily impressed by the guy's ingenuity. Very Happy Paula xx

(28-07-2013 07:07am)mfhphil Wrote:  Can I just say how much I'm enjoying this thread, it's exactly how a forum should be, helpful, funny and interesting. Just a pity I haven't got a clue what you're all talking about lol.

Phil

Hi Phil, don't worry about not understanding all of this stuff, lol. This thread has only been the tip of the iceberg this weekend, with at least 20 transatlantic emails going back and forth between the pair of us and at times I have succeeded in totally flummoxing myself with all the RHD's, LHD's, NAS's, AFS's, SBL's etc! Confusion is pretty much my normal state, it seems Laughing. Paula xx
29-07-2013 09:22am
BFGEvoqueMan

(28-07-2013 07:02pm)dynamicgirl Wrote:  Hi BFGE, I realise they have a kick up, but the kick up on them differs between the Halogens and Xenons. It is much more pronounced on the Halogens. Pic of LHD Halogen beam pattern with normal 15 degree wedge kick up.

[Image: 67b65873-7829-4458-bcf0-9ab57ca1298c_zps0985da55.jpg]

Pic of AFS Xenon RHD beam pattern which has more of a zig zag pattern than a kick up, which is definitely less than 15 degrees.

[Image: c2af185f-f258-4f05-bdff-d8a5264e6b35_zpsa11a586e.jpg]

When I have my new lights fitted I will have them checked by the garage and if they are unsuitable to pass an MOT then I will just swap my RHD AFS Lights back in before MOT time. After all, I know the LHD lights do not cause any dazzle to road users on either side of the road, so that being my top priority, it won't be a biggie to swap them over as and when I need them. I have checked the lighting regs and if I am stopped by the boys in blue, they will be able to see (even on my LHD lights) the markings which clearly show they are suitable for driving on the left hand side of the road, ie DCR --->. If there is no dazzle to road users and they have the correct markings that cannot be removed from the headlamps and can be seen clearly on the casing of the light by raising the bonnet of the car (as stipulated in the lighting regulations), then I anticipate no problems with the police. Passing a German TUV is stricter than the UK MOT test, where even black tape on a headlight is acceptable funnily enough. It's not as if I need to register my car or have need of a Certificate of Conformity, ..it is already registered, so is slightly different than moving a RHD car abroad to the continent. There are many people with the facelift Jaguar XF (uses the same headlight tech as the Evoque) and their cars with RHD lights have obtained CoC's and have passed the strict CT, the French version of the MOT without a problem. I wouldn't do anything that would endanger anyone on the road or cause them discomfort by way of dazzling them and I know that both my RHD and LHD lights do not do either.

Taken from the UK MOT Testers Regulations on the aim of headlamps. It doesn't say the beam pattern has to be TOTALLY flat -

"A flat top or other alternative headlamp dipped beam pattern (not being one of the examples) is acceptable providing all of the beam upper edge, including any “peak” is contained within the appropriate tolerance band"

I really appreciate your input though, thanks. Thumbs Up

You are spot on with what you say, but, because the little zig zag goes up to the right and not the left(irrespective of haw far apart horizontally the aim is between the allowable tolerances) then you could find yourself in difficulty. That said it's a couple of years away yet, and as long as you keep the originals there won't be any drama's. Just enjoy the car!Very HappyVery Happy

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
29-07-2013 06:24pm
dynamicgirl

Hehe, thanks BFGE! I totally get what you're saying. I am loving the car so far and will concentrate on my enjoyment of it, ..until first MOT time at least and then I can pop the standard lights back on again if need be. Hope Evoque number 2 is treating you well, Buddy! All the best. Paula xx
29-07-2013 06:36pm
speary

Just a small point but I am pretty sure the SBL's on the UK Evoque's are LED and not Halogen. As are the fog lights.

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
01-08-2013 01:12pm
dynamicgirl

(01-08-2013 01:12pm)speary Wrote:  Just a small point but I am pretty sure the SBL's on the UK Evoque's are LED and not Halogen. As are the fog lights.

They sure are LED, Steve. Thumbs Up
http://s981.photobucket.com/user/paullie...2.mp4.html
(fast forward video to around 20 seconds)
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2013 10:20am by dynamicgirl.)
06-08-2013 05:27pm
skinrock

So to be clear, the "5202" from autolumination doesn't fit without modification? Did anyone find direct matches (other than that eBay link which doesn't work)? I'm assuming these would require modification as well: http://www.highperformancebulbs.com/py24...e-led.html
22-04-2015 06:31am
PhilSkill

Skinrock, These look to be a direct replacement based on the Info and part numbers "PSY24W" from Dynamic Girl earlier in this thread.

Take yours out and see if they have that number on them

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/PSY24W-...v-24w.html

once you have the part number you can search for LED replacements

https://www.retrofitlab.com/en/psy24w-led-1.html

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-50W-PSY24W...25a34d4df6

Phil

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
(This post was last modified: 22-04-2015 04:37pm by PhilSkill.)
22-04-2015 04:35pm