Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
LED TURN SIGNAL BULBS
Crimdog

RE: LED TURN SIGNAL BULBS

Does the evoque run a canbus system? My vw's have but I didn't think the evoque did.
16-06-2013 10:28am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LIONHEAD

(16-06-2013 10:28am)Crimdog Wrote:  Does the evoque run a canbus system? My vw's have but I didn't think the evoque did.

That's what I'm thinking also and that's why I ordered 2 without canbus bulbs to give it try.

So does that mean if Evoque's doesn't have a canbus system, when we have a bulb out we won't be notified on the dash?
16-06-2013 07:19pm
dynamicgirl

I fitted my LED turn signals today and it's a fairly easy job. To remove the OEM bulbs (front and rear) you have to push up on the plastic tab on the the wiring plug and pull it from of the middle of the bulb (which will stay in place). Then you look for the plastic tabs on either side of the bulbs and press them firmly in towards the centre of the bulb and pull it clear of the light housing.

Once you have removed the standard bulb, it's a good idea to hold it against one of the replacement LED's to compare them. There are 3 small plastic ridges that protrude from the LED bulbs, but only 2 on the standard ones, so once you've decided which 1 of these ridges needs to be removed, you can do it easily with either a scalpel or as LIONHEAD says a Dremel. I used a scalpel, which cut through the plastic with ease. Then you can fit the new LED's and pop the wiring plug back in. No faults on the dash and they look really cool! I'll post some pics next week once my new headlights have been fitted. Smile

The owner's manual states that the turn signal bulbs are PS24WSV fitment, but they are in fact PSY24WSV. These are the same bulbs as my MY10 Audi S3 used in the front indicators. AFAIK PS24W doesn't even exist, you can have PY24W, PS24WFF (which are not amber) or PSY24W (PSY24WSV if they have the silver coating on them) but NOT PS24W! This is quite misleading of a manufacturer to not get their facts right when letting an owner know which bulbs they require to fit replacements for failed ones. The manual is pretty lacking in a few areas TBH. Sad
03-07-2013 04:29pm
LIONHEAD

Nice job dynamicgirl.

Sorry haven't posted about the new cree. The new cree bulbs were on back order and I finally received them yesterday. I tried them temporarily on my current headlights/tailights and they work but I'm waiting for my new tailights from Dan@Duckworth before I permanently install them.

So it looks like canbus bulbs are not necessary on the Evoque. Once my tailights arrive, I'll take video of the new cree turn signals. Here is a pic of the new Cree (left) compared to the LED turn signals that I posted earlier. The cree is much brighter compared to the led turn signal bulbs.

[Image: ba1_zps028f7976.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 03-07-2013 10:46pm by LIONHEAD.)
03-07-2013 10:45pm
speary

(03-07-2013 04:29pm)dynamicgirl Wrote:  I fitted my LED turn signals today and it's a fairly easy job. To remove the OEM bulbs (front and rear) you have to push up on the plastic tab on the the wiring plug and pull it from of the middle of the bulb (which will stay in place). Then you look for the plastic tabs on either side of the bulbs and press them firmly in towards the centre of the bulb and pull it clear of the light housing.

Once you have removed the standard bulb, it's a good idea to hold it against one of the replacement LED's to compare them. There are 3 small plastic ridges that protrude from the LED bulbs, but only 2 on the standard ones, so once you've decided which 1 of these ridges needs to be removed, you can do it easily with either a scalpel or as LIONHEAD says a Dremel. I used a scalpel, which cut through the plastic with ease. Then you can fit the new LED's and pop the wiring plug back in. No faults on the dash and they look really cool! I'll post some pics next week once my new headlights have been fitted. Smile

The owner's manual states that the turn signal bulbs are PS24WSV fitment, but they are in fact PSY24WSV. These are the same bulbs as my MY10 Audi S3 used in the front indicators. AFAIK PS24W doesn't even exist, you can have PY24W, PS24WFF (which are not amber) or PSY24W (PSY24WSV if they have the silver coating on them) but NOT PS24W! This is quite misleading of a manufacturer to not get their facts right when letting an owner know which bulbs they require to fit replacements for failed ones. The manual is pretty lacking in a few areas TBH. Sad

Hi Dynamicgirl, good info
Can you please clarify for me the fitment type for front and rear indicators. Also am i right in assuming that the led's must be orange as there is no orange lense in the light unit, if so what is the part number for the led bulb
thanks
Steve

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
04-07-2013 01:41pm
dynamicgirl

(04-07-2013 01:41pm)speary Wrote:  Hi Dynamicgirl, good info
Can you please clarify for me the fitment type for front and rear indicators. Also am i right in assuming that the led's must be orange as there is no orange lense in the light unit, if so what is the part number for the led bulb
thanks
Steve

Hi Steve, the bulb fitment for both the front and rear indicators is PSY24W (the SV is only added afterwards on the bulb to indicate that the bulb has a silver coating). Here is a pic of the original front indicator bulb fitment info on the bulb itself.

[Image: 2f94ab76-c2fe-469d-bce7-2d4673bb326a_zps08b8255a.jpg]

The replacement LED's are fitment PSX24W and they MUST be the amber ones. They do require a little modification to skim off one of the plastic ridges, but they will fit and work perfectly after removing this.

I have today however found a set of amber PSY24W LED's for sale on Ebay, which will require NO MODDING and these will definitely be plug and play on our Evoques. The great thing about these ones is that they are Osrams, so they are the same make as our OEM bulbs!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PSY24W-Amber-E...2a2d26871f

It's a shame that there don't seem to be any UK suppliers of these bulbs. I paid £53 for the 2 sets I bought and then I had to pay a further £15.70 in customs duty, but they DO look good, Laughing

I have thought about the Cree projector lensed indicators and although I am sure they will look great, the thing I like about the normal LED's is that they have 360 degree visibility, whereas the Crees (only in my humble opinion of course) are better viewed straight on, in applications such as fog lights or reversing lights, etc, so I will stick with the LED's I have just popped on the car. Think I've spent enough lately on new front and rear lights, bulbs etc, so don't want to go looking for other bulbs to spend money on, lol Laughing.

(03-07-2013 10:45pm)LIONHEAD Wrote:  Nice job dynamicgirl.

Sorry haven't posted about the new cree. The new cree bulbs were on back order and I finally received them yesterday. I tried them temporarily on my current headlights/tailights and they work but I'm waiting for my new tailights from Dan@Duckworth before I permanently install them.

So it looks like canbus bulbs are not necessary on the Evoque. Once my tailights arrive, I'll take video of the new cree turn signals. Here is a pic of the new Cree (left) compared to the LED turn signals that I posted earlier. The cree is much brighter compared to the led turn signal bulbs.

[Image: ba1_zps028f7976.jpg]

Those look cool, LIONHEAD! I look forward to seeing the results of them in your new rear lights. Cool
(This post was last modified: 04-07-2013 03:50pm by dynamicgirl.)
04-07-2013 03:47pm
speary

(04-07-2013 03:47pm)dynamicgirl Wrote:  Hi Steve, the bulb fitment for both the front and rear indicators is PSY24W (the SV is only added afterwards on the bulb to indicate that the bulb has a silver coating). Here is a pic of the original front indicator bulb fitment info on the bulb itself.

[Image: 2f94ab76-c2fe-469d-bce7-2d4673bb326a_zps08b8255a.jpg]

The replacement LED's are fitment PSX24W and they MUST be the amber ones. They do require a little modification to skim off one of the plastic ridges, but they will fit and work perfectly after removing this.

I have today however found a set of amber PSY24W LED's for sale on Ebay, which will require NO MODDING and these will definitely be plug and play on our Evoques. The great thing about these ones is that they are Osrams, so they are the same make as our OEM bulbs!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PSY24W-Amber-E...2a2d26871f

It's a shame that there don't seem to be any UK suppliers of these bulbs. I paid £53 for the 2 sets I bought and then I had to pay a further £15.70 in customs duty, but they DO look good, Laughing

I have thought about the Cree projector lensed indicators and although I am sure they will look great, the thing I like about the normal LED's is that they have 360 degree visibility, whereas the Crees (only in my humble opinion of course) are better viewed straight on, in applications such as fog lights or reversing lights, etc, so I will stick with the LED's I have just popped on the car. Think I've spent enough lately on new front and rear lights, bulbs etc, so don't want to go looking for other bulbs to spend money on, lol Laughing.

Those look cool, LIONHEAD! I look forward to seeing the results of them in your new rear lights. Cool

That's great, thanks
Nice reflection by the way Very Happy
Steve

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
05-07-2013 08:18am
dynamicgirl

LIONHEAD, I see that your funky new Cree projector LED's also have 12 SMD chips on the sides of the units, so these will have indeed have the 360 degree range of vision, unlike some of the others on offer, so they are sure to look amazing when fitted. I can't wait to see your video of these bad boys in action, lol! Very Happy Paula
05-07-2013 12:20pm
vcanals

I would like to see those cree in action too Bow down

Lionhead, could you tell us where to buy these cree leds? They look amazing and sure they will make the look of the car change a lot Thumbs Up

Ordered July 10th 2012- Dynamic ed4 Man 5 dr / Style 6 alloys / Fuji White / Pano Roof / Solar attenuating glass / Pursuit leather / Heated seats /auto dimming rear view mirror / Spare wheel
Delivered November 6th 2012 Very Happy

[Image: 161592.png]
06-07-2013 10:42am
m_101

Yup I agree - price dependent I'll probably change mine too. I already changed my reverse bulbs for the T15s similar to yours (cree projector type ones) so would like to match.

5 door MY12 Fuji Dynamic Plus with shadow chromes, santorini contrast roof, power tailgate and a couple of added rattles!
Mods - Black RR bonnet vents, Side steps, Silicone rear wiper, rear sill protector, rear sill plates, LED interior lighting conversion, 2014 Sat Nav update.
06-07-2013 07:41pm