Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Keys pretty well made...
MikeinNY

Keys pretty well made...

After my wife couldn't stand the banging from the jeans in the dryer, she got up and checked only to find my Evoque's keyless-entry fob banging around.

It had been washed, then dried. Was regretting not buying the aftermarket key insurance the dealer tried to sell me. Just for laughs, I went to confirm it had to be dead after the wash.

I opened the garage door, pressed the unlock button and... it worked! Locked it back up and thanked LR for building a tough key housing.

Think I'll go back to the Grammys feeling good about my Evoque purchase. Very Happy

2013 Evoque 5 Door Si4 Dynamic. Indus Silver/Santorini Black Roof. Ebony Interior with Cirrus headliner. Climate Comfort Package, Sat. and HD Radio, Park Assist. Plasti-dipped RR lettering, side blades and wheels.
11-02-2013 02:37am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Keys pretty well made...

They are reputedly waterproof to 30m/100ft, but I doubt that LR required tumbledrier proofing in the spec for them

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
11-02-2013 06:04am
MikeinNY

I didn't know they were waterproof. Shouldn't be a surprise though.

(11-02-2013 06:04am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  They are reputedly waterproof to 30m/100ft, but I doubt that LR required tumbledrier proofing in the spec for them

2013 Evoque 5 Door Si4 Dynamic. Indus Silver/Santorini Black Roof. Ebony Interior with Cirrus headliner. Climate Comfort Package, Sat. and HD Radio, Park Assist. Plasti-dipped RR lettering, side blades and wheels.
12-02-2013 02:24am
Americano

ahahahahah, yes, ok....but I prefer to do no try it.....Laughing

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Fuji White ~ Cirrus Leather ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Xenons with LED Signature~ Reversing Camera ~ Electric Heated Powerfold Mirrors ~ Auto-Dimming Mirror ~ Front Fog Lights ~ 19" Style 5 Wheels M+S Tyres
12-02-2013 02:07pm
z4alfie

(12-02-2013 02:07pm)Americano Wrote:  ahahahahah, yes, ok....but I prefer to do no try it.....Laughing

Mine keeps coming apart, Confused
12-02-2013 07:48pm
Barton Evoque

(12-02-2013 07:48pm)z4alfie Wrote:  Mine keeps coming apart, Confused

Mine to silver piece on the side keeps falling off.Sad

Evoque My13 TD4 Pure.Orkney Grey with Tech Pack~Spare Wheel~Front Fogs~Privacy Glass~Ebony Interior~Mudflaps~Evoque Footrest~DVD Headrests~Towtrust Towbar.Collected 17th Sept. Very Happy
Also nicely modded Audi TT Roadster.
12-02-2013 08:14pm
z4alfie

Keys pretty well made...

(12-02-2013 08:14pm)Barton Evoque Wrote:  Mine to silver piece on the side keeps falling off.Sad

Yeah same here, overall I'm thinking its pretty poor, the car that is, not just the key
12-02-2013 10:31pm
basara

I had a similar situation to MikeinNY. I went into the pools with my keys still in my pockets. Swam for a good 5 mins before I realised I still had them with me. Dried them with the towel and the keys still worked! Great to know that keys are waterproof. Although I don't want to swim in them again.
13-02-2013 11:27pm
Stadt Panzer

Guys, I can confirm that the keys are waterproof, thank goodness, went for a swim in the sea, swam out to one of the buoys and forgot until I'd got back onto the beach that I'd forgotten to take the keys out of my shorts. Took off the silver part and dried the silver key but that was it. Went back to car about an hour later and all is well.
Happy as we are 2000ks from home!

Although as most I won't be doing that again......

Somewhere in the North Sea.
05-08-2014 06:39pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

If I remember from the original FFRR key spec they are not only waterproof but can survive being driven over by the car. I don't intend to find out though!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
06-08-2014 12:13pm