Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How secure is the Evoque and........
mark_n

RE: How secure is the Evoque and........

Checking the list of configured keys is nothing more than a sensible precaution. It does nothing at all to harden the car's security. Currently, the OBD port is unprotected and the presumption is that only trustworthy people will make use of it which is where the giant flaw is.

Disabling the OBD port will help by slowing the thief down but it is possible to connect elsewhere - you are only connecting into the CAN-BUS network after all.

My view is that the only way to protect the codes is to encrypt them in the car's memory and to require the one person who has most at stake - the owner - to authenticate the download of the codes to cut a new key.

So my idea is to supply a smart card - think Chip and PIN - with the car which has to be used to respond to a challenge issued by the car when a code download is requested. In that way, the owner is in the authentication loop and without the correct response code, no download, no cloned key. We're not talking here about simple passwords, instead encrypted information which changes each time it is used.

Even if they didn't want to go the full smart card route, requiring the entry of a code - like we used to have to do for card radios - will help by slowing things down - but it's pointless if the memory locations where the information is stored can be cleared or reset to known values through the bus.

In the meantime, physical security is your friend.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
02-11-2014 05:30am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Mark, Citroen's used to have that kind of PIN system way back in the 1990's didn't they - they had a key pad down by the gear stick that you had to activate and then type in a 4 digit PIN.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
02-11-2014 08:29am
PhilSkill

The main issue is the time and ease, ultimately any car can be stolen, you could just load it on the back of a truck and the replace the ECU in a secure facility with a hacked version (but that requires a truck and time), but being able to connect up with a small device you can carry in your pocket in a matter of seconds or minutes is what needs go be dealt with.

Of course watchdog didnt mention the need to access the vehicle or the if the alarm would be triggered accessing the port. But alarms are only useful if the process takes so long the thief is going to be putting himself at too much risk.

I agree Mark any reprogramming of the ecu should be done via encrypted comms with proper security access, the trouble is with passwords or codes they can be forgotten, left with the vehicle or not transferred to a new owner unless you have to use them everytime you use the car, not something I want.

It's not an easy solution, and locking down ECU reprogramming would reduce access for independent garages etc rendering dealers with too much power so the emphasis on gaining access does need to stay with the customer so independent garages arent frozen out.

Physical restraint is a good basic solution as it slows down the process and can be added to the obd port access or simply a steering wheel lock as a first measure.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
02-11-2014 09:45am
Stadt Panzer

How secure is the Evoque and........

Fully agree with the password part and how independent garage's need access. So why not put the access code in the key fob ie you can only access the ECU if an original key is in the car? If you lose your key on holiday for example and you don't have access to your spare one then only a phone call to LRCS via a LR dealer would be the solution. LRCS in turn would be able to supply the LR dealer with a code which would access the system.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
02-11-2014 10:34am
Donny Dog

Fingerprint recognition in the stop/start button?
02-11-2014 12:07pm
jitenc

Off to buy a Stoplock Pro today. I can't take any chances.
How good has the trackers being in recovering cars? What has everyone got for their security? Or is it too intrusive to ask?
Thanks in advance.

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
02-11-2014 02:53pm
t16mbo

Try a sky tag tracker
02-11-2014 02:58pm
XFullFatTim

These used to work quite well at stopping you driving off when you had parked where somebody didn't want you to park and not bad value for £60
http://www.saundersonsecurity.co.uk/acat...LCC01.html

Must admit my disclok has been a pain to put on and off the steering wheel this week, it's very heavy, takes up a fair bit of room in the boot when not in use and is a very tight - too small diameter by about 2mm - on the Evoque's chubby steering wheel, I can get it on the car and locked but I'm worried about damaging the leather so it will only get used when absolutely necessary, to avoid that

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 05:14pm by XFullFatTim.)
02-11-2014 05:13pm
RREVO

My new Disclock is the small version, which states it will work with a steering wheel size of up to 43cms which measured correctly is the width of the Evoques steering wheel, but it is bloomin' tight which sort of defeats the idea of the Disclock spinning on the steering wheel, also if you haven't got the complimentary cloth protector it will tend to leave indentations in the leather on the steering wheel. Has anybody gone up a size to a medium Dislock?

Dynamic Si4 Auto 5dr, Orkney Grey, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Powered open & close Tailgate, 20” Gloss black wheels
02-11-2014 06:18pm
XFullFatTim

Mine is the 35-39cm diameter one. I measured the steering wheel at 37cm. Looks like I might have to send mine back into the loft and buy the next size up, even though the small one should fit my car!

(This post was last modified: 02-11-2014 06:24pm by XFullFatTim.)
02-11-2014 06:24pm