Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
How high does jack need to go? And what weight rating?
j7david

How high does jack need to go? And what weight rating?

Just wondering what specs a jack needs to be - the "official" one seems to sell for £52 but amazon have a variety of 1-1.5-2 tonne scissor jacks available for much less.

The evoque is about 1.7 tonnes, but I'd only be lifting one wheel off the ground to change a wheel.

Do all jacks go high enough?

What weight rating should I be looking at?

Many thanks!

Jan '12 Dynamic SD4 Auto, 19" General Grabber AT, a few options, off to Kenya soon.
07-07-2014 06:18am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JimWooly

RE: How high does jack need to go? And what weight rating?

Copied from Topix

Quote:Always chock the rear wheels when jacking the front of the vehicle.
A hydraulic jack with a minimum lifting capacity of 1500 kg, (3,300 lbs) must be used.

No, all jacks do not go high enough. You need a high lift jack preferably one made for jacking 4 x 4's.

[Image: 298252.png]
07-07-2014 09:05am
mark_n

The problem is that the wheels tend to drop when you jack the car up so you need a jack with extra reach. Jacking both front and back up to swap wheels front to back is a particular problem.

Scissor jacks may be compact but they worry me, their stability is a problem if the car is not chocked. Never ever go under a car which is being held up by a scissor jack. Trolley jacks are better but care is still needed.

As for load, it's not clear to me whether the rating of a jack already makes the assumption that around half the total weight will still be in the ground. So a jack rated two tonnes may be for a car that weighs that, not 4 tonnes. To be safe you should get a jack rated two tonnes or mores try Machine Mart, they have a good range.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
08-07-2014 05:59am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

There have been several nasty accidents with Land Rover scissor jacks be very careful with them.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-07-2014 11:15am
Redrob

On the subject of jacks, is there a certain procedure to follow.....
I remember having 2 new tyres on the RRS and they had to open a door and put the hazards on, before jacking it up.
Due to the self levelling I was told.

MY13 Dynamic coupe Orkney Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc......soon to be
MY14 Dynamic 5 door Orkney Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc......soon to be
MY15 Dynamic Lux Fuji White Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc.
(This post was last modified: 08-07-2014 03:46pm by Redrob.)
08-07-2014 03:45pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

There is nothing special about jacking up an Evoque, you are partly right about the RRS (same goes for D4 and FFRR) my tyre guys never left the hazards on but they always opened doors, but the reason was that they had damaged an RRS's door skin on one car with a trolley jack - what they have to be very careful with with the air suspension cars is not to jack up on the compressor or airlines for the suspension - the guys I use learned that one the hard way too!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-07-2014 04:29pm
j7david

Ok, for future reference for anyone else wanting to know the answer, the LR jack goes to 413mm. I couldn't find an alternative brand one that elevates that much, so I've spent £52 on a new LR one from eBay. I don't know how many of those 413mm you actually require to get the wheel an inch off the ground for a quick roadside wheel change, so ended up forking out for the "official" one.

I'm definitely not putting any body parts under the vehicle.

Jan '12 Dynamic SD4 Auto, 19" General Grabber AT, a few options, off to Kenya soon.
13-07-2014 04:10pm
bangsters

i know this is a few months old, but I'm wondering if you guys with spare tires got the jack bundled from the dealer, or do you have to buy the jack separately?

Also, where does the jack store in the trunk. I've just opened the trunk and I see only a spare tire, with no jack or any room to store one. I don't know why I even carry a spare if I don't have the jack to use to replace a flat lol....

2014 Ipanema Sand Pure Plus. Mods to follow....
Images hosted on PixelsBin
22-09-2014 01:04am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bloubul7

Jack is below the spare
22-09-2014 06:33pm