Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Hoegh Osaka
MrNoo

Hoegh Osaka

Seeing this in the news today
http://news.sky.com/story/1401706/salvag...ns-aground
got me wondering whether any of the vehicles on board were Land Rovers. With the ship listing 45 - 50 degrees are the vehicles still upright or all in a heap on top of each other?
If there are Land Rovers on board I guess we can expect the lead times on new cars to get extended as they build replacements for the customers abroad who's cars are probably written off on board the Hoegh Osaka

Arrived - SD4 Prestige, 5 door, manual in Orkney Grey with Element interior. Style 4 wheels, spare wheel & auto-dimming rear view mirror.
Joining MX-5 2.0i convertible.
(This post was last modified: 04-01-2015 07:42pm by MrNoo.)
04-01-2015 06:40pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Hoegh Osaka

Almost certainly a lot of LR's on there, whilst it'll all be covered by Shipping Insurance, won't be good for whoever those cars were destined for. I'm guessing many will be damaged in their containers.

I'm sure Tim can enlighten us more!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
04-01-2015 06:51pm
Redrob

The Insurers have confirmed that a "Chips Away" chap is on his way. Wink

MY13 Dynamic coupe Orkney Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc......soon to be
MY14 Dynamic 5 door Orkney Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc......soon to be
MY15 Dynamic Lux Fuji White Pano Power tailgate DTRL's etc.
04-01-2015 07:12pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Guys I saw this on the UK section of the BBC News app and did some research. Yes she was sailing from Southampton and went agorund on the notorious Brambles Patch. Yes more than likely she will have had a lot of Land and Range Rovers onboard, but also Hondas and Toyotas (nissans go out of Washington), probably some Rolls Royces and Bentleys too. These special ships are just like multi-storey carparks, they drive the cars in, they are not packaged for shipping, just padding to stop the cars touching in shipment. Listed to that angle I would excpect some of the rachet lashings to have parted (they are nylon straps like you see on trucks) and some cars will have fallen down on the rest. I couldn't see if any water was reported getting into the ship, but at that angle is could be possible. It will be a big blow for LR exports and for those waiting for their new cars because I would expect most of those cars to have been pre-sold.
If you remember about 20 years ago a car carrier rolled over after a collision off Zeebrugge (not the Herald of Free Enterprise but the Tricolour) - she was crammed full of the first years production of Right Hand Drive Volvo XC90's and BMW's going to Sheerness. It was a diasaster for Volvo UK as the car was already generating huge waiting lists.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
05-01-2015 12:55am
jitenc

Tim, since you know more about ships and Land rovers, don't these ships come with some kind of new technology that prevents them running aground? I meant the new Landies have Park Distance control and adaptive Cruise Control, so I would guess there would be some sort of vertical depth recognition in place?
Maybe, LR needs to go into ship building as well! Smile

The ship was listing, so that means that there must be a manual override system, for it to be grounded.

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2015 02:06am by jitenc.)
05-01-2015 01:56am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Wheels would be the best anti grounding option! If you read carefully in the item she was deliberately beached outside the main channel because the problem was not a grounding incident but a lack of stability for reasons unknown at the moment. The reason to deliberately ground a ship is actually to save the crew, ship and prevent environmental damage - sure cargo damage happens but it is insured and can be replaced, lives cannot. The fact that she is aground means that she has not rolled over in the main shipping channel blocking the port, that it will actually be easier and cheaper to salvage the wreck and cargo from where she is now than if she were at the bottom of Southampton water even though she is heeled/ listed (they are caused by different things - one due to internal items like cargo shifting and the other external factors like wind!) to a crazy angle. One thing for sure - there will be some worried Lloyds' Names today that they are going to get a "call" on their investment.............

The "vertical depth recognition" you mention - wade sensing in LR speak! - yes we all have to have an echosounding device of some sort, I'm sure that it was in use at the time, it isn't much use though if you are about to capsize due to lack of stability................. I actually saw a very similar vessel to this develope negative stability many years ago at the port of Leixoes, the deep water port for Porto in Portugal when a car carrier on it's maiden voyage suffered exactly the same issue as this one has and the pilot and master did exactly the samew thing - ran it up on a beach to save the ship and crew. All the cargo of Toyotas was salvaged but were so salt water damaged they had to be scrapped. The ship was severely damaged due to winter storms battering it and was declared a "total loss" ie a write off.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2015 10:50am by XFullFatTim.)
05-01-2015 10:39am
mighTTy-RRE

There are some similarities to a ship loaded with Mazdas a few years ago, the full report can be found here:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/cou...afu-at-sea
05-01-2015 10:46am
Earl grey

According to BBC News JLR have said they have 1200 vehicles on the Hoegh Osaka. Confused

2014 Pure Tech, Orkney Grey with Black Pano Roof, Folding Mirrors, Privacy Glass and Front Fog Lights
05-01-2015 06:17pm
jitenc

If they salvage some Range Rover Sports, and sell them at a very discounted price, I wouldn't mind having one.Smile

Got mine : Dynamic Fuji White with Lux Pack and black contrast roof.
Optional extras : Privacy glass, Heated steering wheel and TPMS.
Me: Very HappyVery Happy
05-01-2015 08:41pm
MrNoo

(05-01-2015 06:17pm)Earl grey Wrote:  According to BBC News JLR have said they have 1200 vehicles on the Hoegh Osaka. Confused
Yes, and according to Channel 4 News tonight 65 Minis, 1 Rolls Royce and 105 JCBs

Arrived - SD4 Prestige, 5 door, manual in Orkney Grey with Element interior. Style 4 wheels, spare wheel & auto-dimming rear view mirror.
Joining MX-5 2.0i convertible.
(This post was last modified: 05-01-2015 09:42pm by MrNoo.)
05-01-2015 08:56pm