Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
High Beam Assist
Sj4444

High Beam Assist

Hi! My Evoque gets delivered to the dealer in 6 hours and 47 minutes. Not that I'm counting or anything! Smile

But I got the email today that a bunch of Evoques made (in the US) got messed up during production and they didn't make them with the high beam assist and mine of course was one of them. Sad

My question for those of you that have it... Should I be really bummed about this or is it no big deal? I currently have a Cadillac Escalade with Intellibeam (it actually turns the high beams on and off for you) and I love it and I thought the high beam assist did the same thing, only to find out you do have to turn them on and off yourself but it just dims them... Just wondering why you would need this when you should be turning them off when another car is approaching anyway? I guess I'm just not understanding what this feature is really like and what it does? Not that I'd deny the car anyways (it would have to show up without an engine for me to do that at this point) but still curious to know if I'm going to be upset not to have it. Thanks!
18-04-2012 04:15am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
slee18

RE: High Beam Assist

It operates like your caddy. I never use them because there is to much traffic in California. My Lexus never had it but my parents 80 towncar had it as well. Check Topix with your VIN and see for sure if it has the high beam assist

Hope that help

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
18-04-2012 05:43am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I don't have high beam assist on mine but my understanding of it is that it is a totally separate system to the auto on headlights. High beam assist sets the lights between High/ Main and Dipped beam patterns rather than switching them on and off.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
18-04-2012 10:03am
Donny Dog

(18-04-2012 10:03am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I don't have high beam assist on mine but my understanding of it is that it is a totally separate system to the auto on headlights. High beam assist sets the lights between High/ Main and Dipped beam patterns rather than switching them on and off.

Correct. They are very effective, too, although I live in the country so have little experience of 'city lights' and their potential effect on the system.
18-04-2012 12:39pm
Sj4444

Thanks for the replies. I'm really upset about not getting this and I told them that I would like them added after in the shop and they told me that it can't be done. It has to be done when the car is made...? Anyone know if this is true or not? I told them I wasn't going to pay more than the $110.00 they want to take of my final amount... Just wondering if they are just telling me that because it will cost them more to add it after market of if it really can't be added after the car is made?
18-04-2012 03:30pm
Broadsword1959

The high beam assist sensor is mounted as part of rear view mirror.
I would suspect that the wiring harness may have to change with this option.
Due to headliner removal, re-wire etc I think this may be beyond local dealer.

I may be wrong but it is my suspicion

Pure, SD4, Manual, Baltic Blue, Ebony Interior, Tech Pack, Xenon Headlights, Folding Mirrors / Puddle Lights, Front Fog Lights, Reversing Camera
[Image: 124096.png]
18-04-2012 03:34pm
Gorjan

On my car they "forgot" the correct wiring for the rear camera, altough the camera itself is installed. Now the dealer started talking that LR would not allow adding new installatation, but I am not accepting this....

Colima Lime TD4 Pure.
Tech Pack, Pano roof, Auto....
18-04-2012 06:03pm
DiscoDad

I have high beam assist on my D4 (LR4).
It is rubbish & not worth having in my opinion.
By the time it dips the beam you have already pissed off the driver of the on-coming car and he flashes you. You end up waiting to see if you need to intervene and do it yourself which kind of defeats the object!

Ordered 3-4-2012 - Build date 27-6-2012 - Delivery expected 9-7-2012 - Actual delivery 29-6-2012
SD4 Auto Dynamic, Orkney Grey with black pano roof, style 7 wheels, lux pack, verve interior, ebony headlining, privacy glass, adaptive xenons, heated steering wheel, load retension system.
18-04-2012 06:16pm
slee18

Mine doesnt dip physically. But keep in mind i have Xenon so there is a slider inside the headlamps that moves to open the bulb to full and closes for low beam. Thus the cut lines someone sees when aimed at a wall. The slider cuts the beam for low and high beams.

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
18-04-2012 06:26pm
LDT

Previous posts have indicated that this does not work well, but in my limited experience, it works perfectly. For the use I get I doubt I would specify this again, but only as it is under utilised.

Prestige SD4 Auto, Ipanema/Ambience, Style 4 Wheels, Pan Roof, Privacy, Dimming Mirror, High Beam Assist, Surround Cameras, Spare Wheel, Mud Flaps.
[Image: 116286.png]
18-04-2012 06:29pm