Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Heated steering wheel problem?!
Evo-king

RE: Heated steering wheel problem?!

Did you contact your dealer today?

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
30-11-2012 10:17pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
anton

(30-11-2012 10:17pm)Evo-king Wrote:  Did you contact your dealer today?
Yes i emailed them,they emailed me back and said they are going to have a word with the driver and look at the mileage charts .The thing is when it went in for its annual service 2 weeks ago at a cost of nearly £400 they couldnt even give it a wash.I just think its a very poor service to let people collect customers cars and do as they wish with them,they are supposed to be ringing back to rectify the cause of the steering wheel.Question for everyone i have took out a 3yr service plan,do i have to still use Stratstones?
01-12-2012 11:46am
Evo-king

I know you can transfer the policy to different LR vehicles, but not so sure about dealers as you signed up to a specific dealer.

My contract says I am signed up to the one dealer.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
01-12-2012 06:40pm
anton

(01-12-2012 06:40pm)Evo-king Wrote:  I know you can transfer the policy to different LR vehicles, but not so sure about dealers as you signed up to a specific dealer.

My contract says I am signed up to the one dealer.
Thanks looks like i will have to use the same dealer then,but i will never let them collect the car again and i will demand a courtasy car when it goes in for the steering wheel heater.
01-12-2012 07:59pm
Onebigjobby

Check to see if you get the low battery warning, if you do then it automatically switches the heated steering wheel off until the battery is up to charge then it will allow it to heat up again. This is what the LR assist technician told me, as the battery level gets lower it switches internally things off to allow you to start your car.
See post on low battery warning for fix.
Onebigjobby
02-12-2012 04:48pm
phutumsch

All working fine in my 2011 dynamic Evoque, but then about 2 weeks ago my heated steering wheel did not warm. The switch illuminated so fuse 44 was good, either it was the small loom/module that lives behind the airbag or it was the steering wheel itself.
I tested on many journeys and never did the wheel warm again, so........find on youtube the video that shows how to test the steering wheel resistance, i did such a test and both readings were fine, good news is this because replacing a steering wheel is by far the pricier option Crying.

So i went to the main dealer for part number LR028799, it was just over £100.00 and is the steering wheel control module.

Not a difficult job at all to replace, again view a youtube video that shows evoque steering wheel removal, ignition was off and i did not disconnect the battery, that option is yours. Just work your way through the plugs, referencing the new loom you now have and remove one by one, you will see which are the airbag ones which you do not need to touch, some pulling about on the plugs/leads is necessary but it all goes back as before, make sure all is left tidy.

Offer the airbag back on and with a palm slap it goes back home, you may set the horn off when doing this i shall warn.

Heated steering wheel now works again Wink.
13-01-2018 02:21pm
PhilSkill

Nice work phutumsch, good to know it can be fixed fairly easily, although I don't have the option myself Sad

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
15-01-2018 11:17am
phutumsch

(15-01-2018 11:17am)PhilSkill Wrote:  Nice work phutumsch, good to know it can be fixed fairly easily, although I don't have the option myself Sad

Thank you, my first post you may notice but after searching the web for help initially before xmas i did feel my input/experience was required, so hence i signed up.
I did read about having a low battery, define low, less than 10v and would this crank anyway, the wheel will not warm - this sounds like forum bs to me !!
My battery has always been strong and i'll also just add i have not had it 'plugged in' at any dealer for a good 6 months to have any influence on the problem, all points to hardware to me - think i've proved.
Since i posted i made a mess of the module itself with a blade, the black rubber covered square shaped thing and it is a pcb as i suspected under there but the rubber is moulded on it and does not want to come off !!
15-01-2018 02:19pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Low Battery - it isn’t BS, most modern Land Rovers through up all sorts of messages/warnings in the info screen if the voltage drops below 12v. On an Mk1 Sport and Discovery 3 the engine won’t crank and you get warnings like No HDC available and just having a tail light lamp out will give you Blackpool Illuminations of the dash. On Evoques there is an often troublesome Battery Management System that monitors not only battery condition but also load. On cold frosty morning, despite the car having an electric cabin heater if the BMS senses that having the heated seats on, the heated screens on the headlights on, the steering wheel heater on, wing mirror heaters on all at the same time it will shut some of them down so as not to overload the alternator. It is one reason why you cannot run the audio system for more than 10 minutes without running the engine. It’s all from earlier L322 Range Rovers and Discovery 3’s that would flatten their battery overnight for no apparrant reason. Owners of early Evoques (and that was 9 years after D3 and 8 years after L322 RR was launched ) still suffered rapidly flattening batteries, including both my 2011 launch day delivered Evoque Coupe and my 2014MY 5 Door...........

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
15-01-2018 10:51pm
PhilSkill

(15-01-2018 02:19pm)phutumsch Wrote:  Since i posted i made a mess of the module itself with a blade, the black rubber covered square shaped thing and it is a pcb as i suspected under there but the rubber is moulded on it and does not want to come off !!

Yes quite common these days to pot the circuit board completely in a form of glue, I did this with my tailgate closer modules, it avoids moisture ingress onto the circuit board and helps with vibration effects too, but does make them disposable unless you're really keen to scrape away the coating.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
16-01-2018 12:43pm