Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Heat it up? Do you.
evQ

Heat it up? Do you.

Do you warm the engine before driving off....

The weather is getting colder so wondering what to do.

I've heard that new cars don't need engine warming
--Some say it does not but taking it easy for the first few miles
----Some say heating the engine extends engine life....?
-----Some say nothing

Whats the myth, whats the truth ?
15-11-2012 03:55pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kofer

Heat it up? Do you.

I am studding now Webasto GSM module Thermo Call TC3, that is turning on heater by mobile. Awaiting official reply from Webasto office in my country
(This post was last modified: 15-11-2012 04:09pm by Kofer.)
15-11-2012 04:08pm
Evo-king

RE: Heat it up? Do you.

In the UK we don't get engine pre heaters.

We are advised to drive the car as soon as it is safe to do so, i.e. All glass areas are clear. The heater is said to be Ceramic therefore not reliant on engine temperature.

This is meant to be better for the car and the environment.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
15-11-2012 04:24pm
Easty

Re: RE: Heat it up? Do you.

If its freezing out, let it warm up before getting the revs up. Rapid temp cycling is not good for any material.
15-11-2012 06:31pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Never leave a diesel engined Evoque standing idling for any length of time - you will clog up the DPF. What is the insurance situation if you start the car and then leave it unlocked and walk off with the fob in you pocket as the car will keep running until you next press the stop/start button.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
15-11-2012 06:57pm
slee18

evQ where are you located? Im in Cali and notice last year that when the rev kick down in the morning that i can drive it because the heater blowing warm air already. My Lexus never did that! Usually my winters can ice up the windows on a clear day.

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
15-11-2012 07:03pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Slee, that is because heater doesn't use engine waste heat to heat the cabin, the heater is an electric ceramic element one like you might use in your house so you get almost instant heat from it regardless of whether or not you have the engine temperature up to normal. Google PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient) heaters.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 15-11-2012 07:07pm by XFullFatTim.)
15-11-2012 07:05pm
PhilSkill

It's probably also better for the engine when cold to run it at faster than idle, but not rev it to high heaven, so driving with revs at a constant 1500-2000 will be better for it than sitting idling while cold, but you need be able to see first!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
15-11-2012 08:06pm
slee18

ah make sense now. I usually watch the temp gauge and drive off when i see it move from cold level.

12 Evoque Si4 (US) Galway Green Prestige ivory expresso interior
15-11-2012 09:22pm
evQ

(15-11-2012 07:03pm)slee18 Wrote:  evQ where are you located? Im in Cali and notice last year that when the rev kick down in the morning that i can drive it because the heater blowing warm air already. My Lexus never did that! Usually my winters can ice up the windows on a clear day.

In cold USA.....below freezin temp from early Dec- end of Feb.

When we get snowstorm its Not an issue as engine will warm up by the time I' done shovelling the driveway,
but cold without the snow, don't want to just sit there if I can drive away.

(15-11-2012 07:05pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Slee, that is because heater doesn't use engine waste heat to heat the cabin, the heater is an electric ceramic element one like you might use in your house so you get almost instant heat from it regardless of whether or not you have the engine temperature up to normal. Google PTC (Positive Temperature Coefficient) heaters.

Is the temp indicator in the dashboard for engine heat?

Related to this , I usually have settings in Auto/AC with desired temp, but that doesn't seem to blow the air much.
If I turn it up from auto, it does blow hot air amply...??strange as I would think auto would detect cold cabin and start blowing a lot..strange no?
(This post was last modified: 15-11-2012 11:00pm by evQ.)
15-11-2012 10:57pm