Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Hate to post but : iPhone 5 compatability
mzn50

Hate to post but : iPhone 5 compatability

Just pre ordered.. And soon after seeing I had to buy cable adaptors and new USB cables due to the new pin and power input on the phone.. I cringed at if this phone will work in the Evoque ..

Wait n see I guess..l

Matt
Ottawa
2012 Evoque in Barolo Black : Dynamic Package -Active Dynamic Suspension -20" Shadow wheels (delivery July-09) Front Tinted

My Toy - Stealthy and Heavily mod'ed Porsche 997.2 C4S
Hers - Lexus RX350
14-09-2012 11:48am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
cutter7

RE: Hate to post but : iPhone 5 compatability

(14-09-2012 11:48am)mzn50 Wrote:  Just pre ordered.. And soon after seeing I had to buy cable adaptors and new USB cables due to the new pin and power input on the phone.. I cringed at if this phone will work in the Evoque ..

Wait n see I guess..l

How come you had to buy the USB cable etc? over here the USB cable is included.

What’s in the box?

iPhone 5 with iOS 6 Documentation
Apple EarPods with Remote
MicOne-year limited hardware warranty
Lightning to USB Cable
90 days complimentary telephone support
USB Power Adapter 5w (our mains charger)

14-09-2012 12:26pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I believe that there will be adapters to make it compatible with other systems

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
14-09-2012 01:22pm
mzn50

New connecter on iPhone 5
My concern is not the cable or connectivity but more the compatability with the Evoque firmware

Matt
Ottawa
2012 Evoque in Barolo Black : Dynamic Package -Active Dynamic Suspension -20" Shadow wheels (delivery July-09) Front Tinted

Hers - Lexus RX350
14-09-2012 06:11pm
Reto

Yes - thats the big question:

Will the Iphone 5 and IOs6 work with the evoque?

Fuji white, 5dr Pure, TD4, Xenon, PDC, 20", color matched plastic parts
15-09-2012 08:05am
NightFox

Well one of the differences with the new iPhone connector ("Lightning") is that it has no analogue audio out, only digital. I've already had confirmation from LR that the dedicated iPod/iPhone interface on the Evoque is digital, so audio connection should not be a problem.

Some car audio heads actually 'mirror' the iPod/iPhone's display, and it looks like this functionality (basically video out) won't be directly supported by the new connection. However, the RR/iOS interface uses its own touch screen control interface, it just sends commands to the device (e.g. play a track, show album contents, shuffle all songs by an artist) and the pins that supported remote control and the data output appear to still be there in the new interface.

As for bluetooth phone integration, the pre-release version of iOS6 on an iPhone 4 has worked fine, even the final version that will be the same as what comes out next week so I would not expect any problems there.

That only leaves streaming audio over bluetooth, and I'm afraid I don't know as it's something not supported by my current car. I know people have had problems with this in the past, so maybe it might even be improved? The new interface won't have any effect on this though.

Obviously no-one knows for sure until Friday, but I think the indications so far are that the new Lightning interface should not cause any issues, except that people may want to buy an additional USB -> Lightning cable to leave in the car all the time.

MY13 TD4 Pure Manual ~ Tech Pack ~ Mauritius Blue ~ Panoramic Roof ~ Adaptive Xenons ~ Park Assist ~ Keyless Entry ~ Reversing Camera ~ Powerfold Mirrors ~ Autodimming Mirror
Ordered 14/6/12 ~ Built 13/11/12 ~ Delivered 15/11/12 ~ Collected 20/11/12

[Image: 163643.png]
(This post was last modified: 15-09-2012 12:58pm by NightFox.)
15-09-2012 12:56pm
mzn50

Nightfox
Thank you for the update.. Good info .. IOS6 should be out mid week .. it "should" be the same Firmware as the new iPhone 5.. If that works on my current iPhone 4.. I would think it should be same on iPhone 5

Bluetooth works very well on my car.. I actually have issue with the USB cable and music apps other then iTunes .. RDIO for example.. Some anomalies

Time will tell !
Thanks

Matt
Ottawa

Hers - Lexus RX350
17-09-2012 01:50am
simonc

Just in case anyone was still wondering, the iPhone 5 appears to work just fine - paired up the bluetooth just fine and played over the USB connection with no issues. Was able to browse playlists etc. just as before (I previously had the 4S).

I've not tried Bluetooth streaming yet as I never normally use it. I also haven't checked to see whether iOS6/iPhone 5 still has the quirk of occasionally changing to bluetooth streaming mode when the Evoque is expecting it to be in USB mode either. Will post back once I've had a chance to check that in a bit more detail.

Just need to hope that Brodit come out with an iPhone 5 holder sometime soon so I have somewhere to actually put it!

Dynamic Si4 5dr Orkney Grey, Black Pano, Vortex + Ebony, Keyless Entry, Spare Wheel
Collected 12th March 2012
(This post was last modified: 24-09-2012 02:50pm by simonc.)
24-09-2012 02:48pm
Coolbanana

(24-09-2012 02:48pm)simonc Wrote:  Just need to hope that Brodit come out with an iPhone 5 holder sometime soon so I have somewhere to actually put it!

I'm still using the Brodit holder that I used for my iPhone 4.

The iPhone 5 is thinner so it isn't quite as snug but nothing to worry about, not enough to change the holder anyway.

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
01-10-2012 09:04am
Westy

Hello, I had to pop into the apple store last week for some time with the guru re an iTunes problem.

Sorted my problem with my itunes music in five minutes, whilst I was there I was talking to him about Bluetooth and cars and we got talking about cars and ipods, when I told him I had an evoque and I found the firmware frustrating, one of his colleagues overheard our discussion and told me has a friend who works for infotainment development for JLR and that one of his current projects is bringing the Evoque firmware up to Audi BMW standards.

Didn't say when but at least it's good to know someone is looking into it for the future.

One of the happy owners, ordered June 2011, delivered Wednesday 8th February 2012, now 97000 miles. Scorpions lasted 78'000 miles.

Pure TD4 5 door, fuji white, ebony interior, Pan roof, Front fogs, spare wheel, privacy glass, towbar and black roofrails.

Cars got to go back to company March 25th 2015 Sad
01-10-2012 12:57pm