Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Has anyone hired a roof box before?
paulcon

Has anyone hired a roof box before?

Afternoon all

Much as I am interested in buying a Disco Sport I ain't going to rush buying one just because I need to transport four plus a lot of baggage for a long weekend in April.

Has anyone hired a roof box before and can recommend a supplier? I'm in the Midlands near Telford and fear such roof boxes may have a generic fitting that would end up knocking my roof/ paintwork.

Excuse the ignorance but you can use one with a pano roof can't you?

Thanks

Paul

Black 'n Black SD4 Dynamic Lux 5-door with privacy.
16-01-2015 03:50pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
duckworthparts
Site Sponsor

RE: Has anyone hired a roof box before?

as long as you have roof rails and crossbars fitted you shouldn't have any issues with any box,

Try your local dealer, LR run a scheme where you can hire roof boxes from dealers.

http://www.duckworthparts.co.uk
http://www.duckworthlandrover.co.uk - Vehicle Sales
My Direct Line: 01673 849873
Email: danroberts@duckworthlandrover.co.uk

You can make a paypal directly to the email above

[Image: hwc8.jpg]
16-01-2015 05:16pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
LaserTam

I investigated a while back, there are few places about (but need to be fairly local). Decided that if there is a chance that you may use it more than once (and can store it somewhere) then its probably worth buying, ideally 2nd hand (although I bought new).
If you dont have roof rails, then you can still fit roof bars across the car (with a pano roof), and I see you have 5 doors which is also essential Smile

Born 28th June - Pure Tech 2.2 eD4 Manual in Santorini Black, Pano roof, Cirrus leather, style 6 wheels, rear camera, power mirrors, auto dim RVM
16-01-2015 06:09pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

You don't need to have just a 5 door to fit roof rails, I had them on my coupe ( it also had a pano roof) and they worked well. Don't forget that you can use them for other fittings like bike carriers and the like not just for a roof box and the cross bars are easily removed when they aren't needed too.
The question I have is whether I can use the same roofbox with a Land Rover Expedition Roofrack.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 17-01-2015 03:26am by XFullFatTim.)
17-01-2015 03:25am
LaserTam

(17-01-2015 03:25am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  You don't need to have just a 5 door to fit roof rails, I had them on my coupe ( it also had a pano roof) and they worked well. Don't forget that you can use them for other fittings like bike carriers and the like not just for a roof box and the cross bars are easily removed when they aren't needed too.
The question I have is whether I can use the same roofbox with a Land Rover Expedition Roofrack.

Didnt say you did. BUT if you fit roof rack bars across the car without the rails, you need to have back doors because they clamp down in the door opening.

Born 28th June - Pure Tech 2.2 eD4 Manual in Santorini Black, Pano roof, Cirrus leather, style 6 wheels, rear camera, power mirrors, auto dim RVM
17-01-2015 08:57pm
paulcon

Thanks for the replies. No roof rails and cross bars so very good to know it's still possible and hear what you're saying about buying if likely to hire more than once. Also thinking hiring a large estate for the weekend may be another option. Quite surprised to find that a 5-door Evo has 80 more litres capacity than an A4 Avant and C Class estate.

Saw a Disco Sport in the flesh for the first time today. Very good .... but no Evoque and found myself spec'ing a Land Rover to basically be a Range Rover but one that will always be a Land Rover even with the same engine as the Evoque. Looks like I may be hanging out for the Evoque XL (if it ever materialises!)

Black 'n Black SD4 Dynamic Lux 5-door with privacy.
17-01-2015 09:54pm
markdartj

I used to sell both Yakima and Thule products. If you have a "naked" roof, you can get crossbars and fittings to mount on your roof. Thule does the best job of isolating any part which could possibly damage the paintwork (thick rubber feet). I have Thule "Aero bars" to hold my box for skis etc. It is a good idea to remove them when you don't need them, to prevent wear and tear and deterioration due to weather. Mounting the Thule Aero Bars is relatively simple. I placed small stickers inside the door opening so I don't need to measure the mounting location every time I put them on my car. Good luck.

2014 Fuji White Pure PremiumWink
25-01-2015 11:35am