Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
Glass: Privacy v Solar Attenuating
Kermit

Glass: Privacy v Solar Attenuating

Privacy is a 350 option available on all models, while Solar Attenuating is a 435 option, also available on all models.

Is Privacy glass also solar attenuating, but only for glass rear of the B pillar?

Is the Solar Attenuating glass all of the vehicle's glass, including the windscreen? I gather it wouldn't have any noticeable tint, compared to the Privacy.
06-04-2011 06:10am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Glass: Privacy v Solar Attenuating

My understanding of the solar attenuating glass is that it reflects UV, it isn't the same as the privacy glass which is just plain glass tinted. I would be interested to know if like the RRS and FFRR the Evoque has Laminated side glass for sound deadening (and security). IIRC Renault fits solar attenuating glass to it's cars - you can tell if it is fitted if the glass has a strange appearance / coating when you see the front screen front head on

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 06-04-2011 09:43am by XFullFatTim.)
06-04-2011 09:41am
Kermit

Thinking more about this I think this could be just a windscreen option. My pug has an Athermic windscreen, but not any of the other windows.
06-04-2011 02:34pm
BFGEvoqueMan

I have this on my current ford focus windscreen and my parents on their renault lagun and makes no differance. Fortunately it was standard. In fact it is a hinderance on my car as I have to have an external gps antenna for my sat nav as only about 30% of the signal can get through the windscreen and there are only a couple of places you can put motorway toll stickers/boxes as the cameras can't detect the box/sticker.

Worth considering if you driver on the M6/Dartford Tag/Switzerland/Austria etc.

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
07-04-2011 10:43am
Alex

I would imagine it would deffinately be for the panaromic glass roof and windscreen - or I would have thought should be part of the panoramic roof build as standard (but obviously isn't).

Would make sense for the glass roof to have a UV film to protect toddlers/babies in the back.

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
07-04-2011 12:59pm
XFullFatTim

Panoramic roof has a much lower tech solution than UV reflecting glass....................... electric blinds that fold/open at the push of a button. I see the new model Mercedes SLK has an optional panoramic section in the folding roof that is photochromic and gets darker as the sun gets stronger

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
07-04-2011 01:15pm
Blackseries

(07-04-2011 01:15pm)FullFatTim Wrote:  I see the new model Mercedes SLK has an optional panoramic section in the folding roof that is photochromic and gets darker as the sun gets stronger

Its cleverer than that.......

MAGIC SKY CONTROL a totally unique glass roof will be celebrating its world premiere in the new SLK: at the touch of a button it can be made either transparent or darkened. In transparent mode it will offer an open-air experience during cold weather, while in darkened mode it will afford a haven of shade and prevent the interior from heating up in direct sunlight.

Fancy...

SD4 Prestige Sport Auto 5 Door, Sumatra Black with Ambience interior, Magneride AD, 20" Style 6 Wheels, Panoramic Roof, Surround Cameras, Electric Tailgate, ADRVM.......& Heated Steering Wheel......Gorgeous
07-04-2011 01:47pm
XFullFatTim

Lol, I have that on my Defender only it's even more authentic with the inside climate...................... Pop-out sunroof closed on a cold day the panel is clear but the first bump you go over a shower of icy droplets is dropped down the back of your neck from the condensation that forms on the seal round the sunroof frame...................... it came as a no cost option unlike the Mercedes version Smile

(This post was last modified: 07-04-2011 02:44pm by XFullFatTim.)
07-04-2011 02:44pm
Kermit

(07-04-2011 10:43am)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  it is a hinderance on my car as I have to have an external gps antenna for my sat nav as only about 30% of the signal can get through the windscreen and there are only a couple of places you can put motorway toll stickers/boxes as the cameras can't detect the box/sticker.

My pug's windscreen has a spot either side of the interior mirror's fixing where the metallic film isn't present. It's these spot where you place your toll card and gps antenna.
07-04-2011 03:05pm
vinda

hello all

ive just placed an order and added the option of privacy glass but now am tempted by this solar attenuating glass.

what exactly is it. and which windows does it cover
11-04-2011 03:30pm