Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Foot brake ... Clunking noise?
IKM

Foot brake ... Clunking noise?

Hi, I picked up my Prestige Auto yesterday and generally delighted with the drive, especially using Commandshift paddles. However, when I press the foot brake right down to stop I hear a clunking noise (and also sometimes as I release the brake). This may be normal, and in which case I can live with it, but I've never experienced this noise in any other car I've owned or rented. Any advise or thoughts please would be appreciated.

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
17-12-2011 04:27pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Evo-king

RE: Foot brake ... Clunking noise?

I think it's the EPB and if it is, it has been discussed on here at length, an owner will be along to confirm this no doubt.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
17-12-2011 04:43pm
caroline11000

I ca't say I have noticed this on my car yet but as Evo-King says it has been disessed on here before
http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Electroni...ight=brake

Pure 5dr SD4 Auto
Fuji, Ebony, Tech Pack, Pan Roof, Privacy Glass, Front Fogs, Park Assist, Rear Camera, Power-Fold Mirrors, Xenons & Spare Wheel
Got car 9th Dec 11
REJECTED car 9th Jan 12 - paint runs down doors & seals one side, obvious bad re-spray before delivery! Big Cry
New car arrived 31st March 12 Very Happy
17-12-2011 04:48pm
IKM

(17-12-2011 04:48pm)caroline11000 Wrote:  I ca't say I have noticed this on my car yet but as Evo-King says it has been disessed on here before
http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Electroni...ight=brake
Thanks, but my clunkie noise comes from the foot brake not the EPB that replaces the hand brake (or is that related somehow? - please excuse my lack of mechanical knowledge).

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

(This post was last modified: 17-12-2011 05:58pm by IKM.)
17-12-2011 05:17pm
M.I.B

Looks like this is related to the brakes sticking on, pulled into a lay-by today came to rest using the foot brake only, took my foot off the brake to let the car roll forward, after about 3-4 seconds the brakes released and the car started to move.

I had several attempts at doing this with the same results but with no noise, after 3 minutes all returned to normal with no sticking brakes, at no time did I touch the Electric HB, however further down the road i pulled in to park, applied the foot brake, selected reverse got the crunching noise with some resistance which felt like the brakes were stuck on, and then released after a couple of seconds.

Will speak to the service manager next week to see what can be done.
17-12-2011 11:09pm
IKM

Thanks M.I.B., I'll also try dropping by my dealer next week as well to discuss.

17-12-2011 11:17pm
cjfp

Hill start assist ?

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
17-12-2011 11:35pm
IKM

(17-12-2011 11:35pm)cjfp Wrote:  Hill start assist ?

No HDC used yet, maybe tomorrow I'll set off down the hill with it and see what happens. But shouldn't be any different from FL2. By the way, any word on delivery of your car before Christmas?

18-12-2011 12:37am
Xvoyag

@IKM FWIW:

I recently had the RRE serviced at the dealer to balance the tires; 4-wheel job so all the wheels removed and balanced. Upon leaving I noticed a similar sound as you described in the brakes, very loud and "scrunching" on release and braking. Continued for a while, then returned to normal.

I surmised that the wheel hubs, rotors/calipers, were a little tight and had to self-adjust, which they did after a couple of hours of normal braking. Now they're as smooth as a hot knife through butter, no harm - no foul.

Hope it works out!
18-12-2011 04:50am
cjfp

Not HDC, but hill start assist - not 100% sure of how/when it kicks in but when the brakes are applied, and u then take yr foot off the brake, the brakes are held on for a period so that the car doesn't roll when you are on a hill - maybe this is what u r hearing but I cannot tell you if it is functioning correctly or if u have an issue with it.

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
18-12-2011 09:41am