Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fog Lights / High Beams?
moofish

RE: Fog Lights / High Beams?

Just checked as well. With high beams, no front fog lamps; however, the rear work, which is not much help for the front.
23-04-2014 10:44pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Why would you want full beam on with fog lights, in my 30+ years driving experience the backscatter/ glare in any form of fog even on old style halogen headlights on full/high beam is so severe that you have to switch back to low/ dip beams anyway. The only reason I can think for wanting them on is to use them like driving lights, but they don't have the reach or spread for that. The rear fog lights stay on because the idea is to allow following drivers to see your car at a greater distance and hopefully prevent them from tailgating you.

In the USA you need to check the DoT 49 CFR 571 regarding the positioning and use of foglights and that will answer why your great leaders over there don't want you to drive on front fogs along with high beams. You may also find this website "illuminating" if not educational! http://www.garageboy.com/fahrt/fog.html

The US DoT CFR is here
http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/rulings/glare.html

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 24-04-2014 07:26am by XFullFatTim.)
24-04-2014 07:17am
mstraka

From this post it appears that its USA regulations that the fogs and high beams don't work together, not a Land Rover decision. The Evoque's fog lamps do a great job of brightly illuminating the road directly in front of you and in combination with the high beams would be very good on poorly surfaced dark country roads at night without fog.
24-04-2014 02:01pm