Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Farewell...
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Farewell...

The biggest difference over the pre-2012 models is the 8 Speed auto, there are also two tunes for the engine TDv6 and SDv6 as well as the fantastic 5.0lt S/C

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
23-10-2012 07:13pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Coolbanana

(23-10-2012 07:13pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  The biggest difference over the pre-2012 models is the 8 Speed auto, there are also two tunes for the engine TDv6 and SDv6 as well as the fantastic 5.0lt S/C

I wouldn't want the S/C one - because I can't afford it Laughing

But the HSE SDV6 looks good and my 'ol man just bought one and is raving about it. He has driven my Evoque for a couple of weeks too - reckons the RRE is still better around the corners but not as comfortable.

My biggest concern is that I chopped in the Disco 4 for the RRE since it was too large and I hated the wallowing around roundabouts. Apparently the RRS sits sort of mid-way between the D4 and RRE in terms of handling and isn't as large as the D4 so might suit me. I'm actually fine with the RRE size and space - I generally like a smaller car - but since getting the RRE we don't take the dog on long trips anymore.

Then there is the issue that a completely new RRS is due next year (?) so that'll affect depreciation enormously.

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
Bike:Ducati Monster 1100 EVO
23-10-2012 07:42pm
XFullFatTim

To not roll around the roundabouts you need the S/C as it has the trick handling pack with the electro-hydraulic anti-roll bars - my TDv8 RRS had the previous generation of them and they were good, but not a patch on the RRE with AD. RRS/D4 and all FFRR's have the top weight to overcome and it takes a lot of doing! The 4.4TDv8 had generation 3 of the trick handling - the S/C version didn't get it like it didn't get the 8 speed gearbox or the TR upgrades. I changed from RRS to the 2010MY FFRR mainly because I wanted the TDv8 engine that had been discontinued in the RRS. I can take some local twists and turns 20-30mph faster in the RRE than I could in the FFRR and probably 20mph faster than I could in the TDv8RRS. Current generation RRS is very much improved but still is way way too heavy to be "chuckable"
I have a deposit down on the next RRS for 2014/2015

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 23-10-2012 07:58pm by XFullFatTim.)
23-10-2012 07:56pm
Coolbanana

Cheers Tim, I might also wait for the 2014 model.

Just looking at the 2012 HSE model and it has Evoque-like suspension too though:

"Dynamic Pack (Adaptive Dynamic & Dynamic Response)

The Dynamic Pack enhances Range Rover Sport’s exhilarating on-road performance even further. It consists of Adaptive Dynamics and Dynamic Response. Adaptive Dynamics monitors contact with the surface of the road 500 times a second and predicts the response to driver input, allowing the system to mitigate any excessive movement (rather than a conventional system, which reacts after the vehicle has already moved). Dynamic Response senses cornering forces and compensates for them automatically. Together these minimise body roll while helping to maintain sure-footed control and supreme comfort. The Dynamic Pack is standard on the Supercharged, HSE and Autobiography Sport vehicles and optional on the SE vehicle."

So that should help! It'll never match the RRE but it must be better than the 2007 model I last test drove.

Car:Range Rover Sport 3.0SDV6 HSE - Orkney Grey, Almond interior and with lots of options
(This post was last modified: 23-10-2012 08:17pm by Coolbanana.)
23-10-2012 08:15pm
alibeau

Hubby recently part ex'd his 2007 RRS for the 2012 model (autobiography). I'm no motoring expert but the acceleration and handling of the new model is a dramatic improvement on the old one, remarkable in fact.

When he test drove the RRE he loved the way it handled particularly in sport and dynamic mode but in reality the car is far too small for him so he opted for the RRS again. I much prefer my RRE to his as I still feel as though I am floating around like royalty in his car whereas mine is mean and sporty Laughing I could be dangerous if I knew the correct technical terms for this load of waffle Very Happy

Ali Smile

Black Dynamic Si4 - gone but not forgotten.
(This post was last modified: 23-10-2012 08:26pm by alibeau.)
23-10-2012 08:25pm
Coolbanana

(23-10-2012 08:25pm)alibeau Wrote:  Hubby recently part ex'd his 2007 RRS for the 2012 model (autobiography). I'm no motoring expert but the acceleration and handling of the new model is a dramatic improvement on the old one, remarkable in fact.

When he test drove the RRE he loved the way it handled particularly in sport and dynamic mode but in reality the car is far too small for him so he opted for the RRS again. I much prefer my RRE to his as I still feel as though I am floating around like royalty in his car whereas mine is mean and sporty Laughing I could be dangerous if I knew the correct technical terms for this load of waffle Very Happy

Ali Smile

I like the nippiness of the RRE Si4 too and the handling. I did like the motorway manners of the Disco 4 though and liked being in it. If the new RRS is a big improvement on wallowing about like a drunk penguin I might just prefer it.

The RRE isn't too small for me...I'm only 5ft 6in Laughing The RRE does all I need really. The only space issue isn't really a serious one and that's down to me taking our labrador to France on holiday a couple of times and now we can't.

23-10-2012 08:38pm
Evo-king

Can't really claim to be an expert in the differences between the RRS and the RRE, but when we did the Full LRE Experience day recently, we drove the RRE and the RRS.

We all know what the RRE is like, the RRS is simply luxurious, with a smooth absorbent ride, however, when you hustled it the handling was lacking compared to the RRE.

I can see why many people go for the RRS, but it is an altogether different beast.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
23-10-2012 10:05pm
XFullFatTim

It wasn't when it was launched! It took 5 years of complaints that the "hjtech" green LCD displays were not really the white hot heat of 2005 technology, more like 1995 and the interior generally was not in the least up to the Range Rover name (seeing as it was really a Disco 3 in drag that wasn't surprising!) but all came good at the 1st face lift in 2010 and everybody had to agree that it was worthy of the RR brand - shame though that the price is now well into the stratosphere for a well specced one too - you are looking at £72k + for a decently specced SDv6 HSE, but it is a good car. It will be interesting to see how much weight it can shed with the Mk3 in 2014, it shouldn't be too hard to get it down from the current 2.8tonnes with the new lightweight bits from the L405 FFRR. It has been a huge success for Land Rover despite all the bad press and being labelled either a Footballer's Special or drug dealer's car. I believe 70% of RRS production has been Black HSE's with gangsta glass.................

(This post was last modified: 23-10-2012 11:23pm by XFullFatTim.)
23-10-2012 11:20pm