Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Exploding/melting HB3 bulbs
RogB

Exploding/melting HB3 bulbs

Hi all
I had a nearside dipped/main HB3 Halogen bulb failure on my 2013MY 62 plate RRE on Thursday and due to time constraints and failing daylight I dropped into my local Hellfrauds branch to buy and have them fit a new one.

When the guy pulled the old bulb out it was completely destroyed. There are now glass splinters and pieces of the bulb all round the light unit and there are scorch marks on the bulb holder which show how hot it had got prior to failure.

The fitter guy said he had had a new style RRS in earlier with exactly the same issue and reckoned that it was a vehicle fault causing the bulb to heat up and either melt down or explode and that LR knew there was an issue.

Has anyone else experienced this or heard of it happening, or are aware of an electrical fault on RR ?

TIA

Roger

2012 Evoque Pure 5 door - Santorini Black, 20'' style 6 wheels, privacy, fogs, (accident damaged wreck direct from LR approved :rollSmile
2011 Evoque Prestige 3 door - Indus Silver, gloss black 19'' style 5 wheels, privacy, partial black pack.

and a few Freelander 2 over the yearsLaughing
15-10-2016 04:17pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

RE: Exploding/melting HB3 bulbs

After 3 years I'd treat it as a failure, unless it happens again. See how you get on with the new one.

Does happen ...

http://babyrr.com/forum/Thread-Head-lamp...=Exploding

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
15-10-2016 11:03pm
RogB

Cheers Phil

The bulbs came on Bogof so I have a spare again now. If these 2 blow in a short period I'll have it looked into by LR as it's only 2 months into approved used warranty.
Otherwise my plan was to right it off to a dodgy bulb.
Just wondered if anyone had heard of this "known issue" or if the hellfrauds fitter was talking bs.

Rog.

2012 Evoque Pure 5 door - Santorini Black, 20'' style 6 wheels, privacy, fogs, (accident damaged wreck direct from LR approved :rollSmile
2011 Evoque Prestige 3 door - Indus Silver, gloss black 19'' style 5 wheels, privacy, partial black pack.

16-10-2016 08:28am
Sarcastrix

I think it depends if the 'exploded' bulb was OEM-spec or a cheap replacement. Cheap bulbs don't last as long, produce less light and have a tendency to go bang.

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
17-10-2016 12:46pm
RogB

it was a Phillips brighter replacement bulb. Ive now replaced it with a Halfords own branded 120% brighter (same specs as the Phillips so left and right are the same)

I shall see what happens..............................

18-10-2016 12:10pm
mstraka

(18-10-2016 12:10pm)RogB Wrote:  it was a Phillips brighter replacement bulb. Ive now replaced it with a Halfords own branded 120% brighter (same specs as the Phillips so left and right are the same)

I shall see what happens..............................

All brighter than OEM bulbs have a shorter life than the OEM ones. That's why they're brighter. Don't touch the glass surface of the bulb when installing. The oil from your fingers makes a hot spot.
18-10-2016 01:37pm
RogB

yep know all that, but 2 months is a bit ridiculous especially as the darker mornings/nights haven't been enough to have them on that often yet. It was either just a faulty bulb, or a wiring fault in the headlight unit.

18-10-2016 03:17pm
PhilSkill

A Volvo of ours used to blow bulbs quite regularly (lights always on), the Bogof Halfords brighter bulbs used to last the longest and tried many types!

I've turned off auto lights, and just turn them on when required, the Auto lights can turn them on and off quite a lot! I had a Ford Taurus follow me the other day and I thought he was flashing me as the lights were on and off a lot as we drove along a tree lined avenue in the low morning Sun, not great for the bulb life.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
18-10-2016 11:22pm
RogB

mines the Pure peasant spec so doesn't have auto lights or auto wipers............. cant believe I have to go back to taking control of them myself.... shocking!! haha

19-10-2016 08:31am
Sarcastrix

(18-10-2016 03:17pm)RogB Wrote:  yep know all that, but 2 months is a bit ridiculous especially as the darker mornings/nights haven't been enough to have them on that often yet. It was either just a faulty bulb, or a wiring fault in the headlight unit.

Sounds that way hopefully, the replacement will be okay.

(18-10-2016 11:22pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  A Volvo of ours used to blow bulbs quite regularly (lights always on), the Bogof Halfords brighter bulbs used to last the longest and tried many types!

Likewise, I find the extra bright bulbs have a much shorter life. Here in Sweden, where we've always had to drive with our lights on, they last 1 year max whereas the OEM bulbs last forever.

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
20-10-2016 08:35am