Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Exploding/melting HB3 bulbs
RogB

RE: Exploding/melting HB3 bulbs

Can you keep us updated on this please Harry ?

Also where did you buy them from ? and how much ?

cheers

Rog

2012 Evoque Pure 5 door - Santorini Black, 20'' style 6 wheels, privacy, fogs, (accident damaged wreck direct from LR approved :rollSmile
2011 Evoque Prestige 3 door - Indus Silver, gloss black 19'' style 5 wheels, privacy, partial black pack.

and a few Freelander 2 over the yearsLaughing
27-10-2016 08:37am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
harry2012

These are the ones I've ordered (not received them yet)

http://www.xenonsonline.com/led-products...umens.html
(This post was last modified: 27-10-2016 09:03am by harry2012.)
27-10-2016 09:03am
RogB

cheers Harry

Lot to pay out if it all goes pear shaped but could be useful, im beginning to notice that even with the 120% + Halogen bulbs in the light from the projectors is not good.

2012 Evoque Pure 5 door - Santorini Black, 20'' style 6 wheels, privacy, fogs, (accident damaged wreck direct from LR approved :rollSmile
2011 Evoque Prestige 3 door - Indus Silver, gloss black 19'' style 5 wheels, privacy, partial black pack.

27-10-2016 10:08am
dang

let us know how they get on. i bought some led replacements which were rubbish
27-10-2016 02:09pm
harry2012

Just installed the LED bulbs, took all of 10 minutes to do. No need to remove the headlights or anything like that, theres plenty of room.

First impressions are good. Defined beam pattern haven't driven at night yet though so can't fully say how good they are, but first impressions are good and much easier to fit than HID's

Full beam is instant and defined too.

One LED and one Halogen

[Image: 20161103_165204.jpg]

With sidelights

[Image: 20161103_170226.jpg]

Without sidelights

[Image: 20161103_171305.jpg]

And the beam pattern.
[Image: 20161103_171226.jpg]

All looks pretty good to me, and very similar in colour and brightness to the factory fit LED headlights on our Q3. I had to do something as after the Audis headlights the Evoques looked like candles!
(This post was last modified: 03-11-2016 07:23pm by harry2012.)
03-11-2016 07:21pm
RogB

So ive now had yet another blown bulb, this time it melted and cooled so thankfully didn't explode.

All the bulbs that have blown have been Halfords 120% brighter bulbs, (now 5 in total, both headlights)

Halfords claim there is an issue with certain models of RRS and RRE that's causing this. Having used these bulbs in previous cars (including FL2) with no problems then im reluctantly inclined to agree with them.

Whether that issue is actually a fault with the car, or the fact that it just doesn't like that type of bulb, who knows !!??

Ive booked the car into LR to have the braking system checked out due to some strange noises from purchase, and have asked them to have a look at the electrics, specifically the battery.

Since ive had the Evoque the stop/start function has only kicked in once or twice and as this could be down to a low battery voltage, im wondering if this linked to the bulb issue in any way (i.e. power spike when switching the lights on or similar)

any thoughts ?

cheers

Rog.

P.S. ive now but bosch bulbs in and will see how they go.

29-11-2016 09:09am
dang

i've had all sorts of bulb problems with them blowing. always been supposedly brighter bulbs. the latest problem being it melted the plugs. i think aftermarket bulbs get too hot. and to boot you can only buy a complete light unit. but a suburu plug is the same. so i've changed the plugs and gone back to original bulbs

ps. bosch bulbs will blow too
(This post was last modified: 29-11-2016 02:54pm by dang.)
29-11-2016 02:54pm
RogB

so why do bulbs that work perfectly ok in other cars, including LR vehicles, keep blowing in Evoques ?

Are LR trying to force us to buy their bulbs from them? Wont be happy if this is the answer they come back with.

The service receptionist did ask why was I buying aftermarket bulbs and just grinned when I said convenience of purchase..... its a 40 min drive to my nearest LR dealer, but I pass Halfords on my home from work.

29-11-2016 04:16pm
dang

i can't answer that. i can only assume the quality of lr may not be so great. i originally moved to brighter bulbs because the original ones are pants. but to have melting connectors is not worth brighter bulbs. the suburu connectors do look heavier duty but i won't risk upgrading the bulbs again
29-11-2016 11:39pm
druand

I had Halfords +120% HB3 bulbs on my 2014 Freelander 2, both exploded within a few weeks and damaged dip mechanism on 1 lamp. This was replaces FOC by Halfords.
My new 2016 Evoque SE has HB3 bulbs, headlights "are not fit for purpose"
I have just fitted Halfords +90% HB3 bulbs and find a marked improvement.
Fingers crossed.
30-11-2016 12:44pm