Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Exploding/melting HB3 bulbs
RREVO

RE: Exploding/melting HB3 bulbs

I recently made the change to light blue led bulbs (to match the sills illumination at night) in the front foot wells of my 12 dymamic. When I got to the passenger side the original bulb which is sited under the glove box had melted into the side of the base glove box Shocked I was not pleased to say the least. I would recommend everyone checks the original bulbs in this area.

Dynamic Si4 Auto 5dr, Orkney Grey, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Powered open & close Tailgate, 20” Gloss black wheels
20-10-2016 10:06pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
PhilSkill

Sounds like we need pics RREvo , my Merc had this and I rather liked it, hadn't considered changing the Evoque.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
20-10-2016 10:11pm
RogB

Ive also changed the interior bulbs (courtesy lights and footwells) for LED but went for standard white light all round. No issues so far but I like the idea of the blue footwells. I also fancy some illuminated tread plates as they appear to be an easy swap.

2012 Evoque Pure 5 door - Santorini Black, 20'' style 6 wheels, privacy, fogs, (accident damaged wreck direct from LR approved :rollSmile
2011 Evoque Prestige 3 door - Indus Silver, gloss black 19'' style 5 wheels, privacy, partial black pack.

and a few Freelander 2 over the yearsLaughing
21-10-2016 08:23am
RREVO

(20-10-2016 10:11pm)PhilSkill Wrote:  Sounds like we need pics RREvo , my Merc had this and I rather liked it, hadn't considered changing the Evoque.

I'll try and take some pics this evening of the light blue foot wells.

Dynamic Si4 Auto 5dr, Orkney Grey, Panoramic Roof, Privacy Glass, Powered open & close Tailgate, 20” Gloss black wheels
21-10-2016 02:47pm
RREVO

Pics as promised.
The foot wells use light blue led's which I found are the closest match to the illuminated sills, but you can get a darker blue, which will give your shoes that blue suede look Laughing

21-10-2016 09:13pm
RREVO

One more this time passenger side.
As well as matching the sills blue colour, the light blue led footwells now match in with the centre cut out illumination.
Cool

22-10-2016 12:19pm
PhilSkill

Looks good RREvo!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
23-10-2016 07:46am
druand

I replaced the original HB3 bulbs in my previous FL2 (same projector lamp as Evoque) with Halfords +120%. They were brilliant BUT both blew within 5 weeks on same journey. When I took bulbs out both had exploded.
I refitted original bulbs and found O/S dip mechanism not working, jammed on dip.
Credit to Halfords they refunded price of bulbs and as unable to repair lamp they supplied and fitted a genuine LR new headlamp FOC.
I believe that the high powered bulbs are just not suitable for projector type lamps.
24-10-2016 03:00pm
RogB

time will tell, ive got the Halfords 120% in both, and ive got a spare one, so ill see what happens

ive also got a nearside light lens full of tiny glass fragments !!!

if they persist in blowing ill be back to Halfords to sort it out.

Although when funds permit in the new year I might look into a 2nd hand pair of Xenon lights

2012 Evoque Pure 5 door - Santorini Black, 20'' style 6 wheels, privacy, fogs, (accident damaged wreck direct from LR approved :rollSmile
2011 Evoque Prestige 3 door - Indus Silver, gloss black 19'' style 5 wheels, privacy, partial black pack.

and a few Freelander 2 over the yearsLaughing
24-10-2016 03:08pm
harry2012

I've ordered a set of replacement LED bulbs for the Halogens on mine, so we'll see how good or bad they are...
27-10-2016 07:33am