Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evoque supercharged?
ami_evo

RE: Evoque supercharged?

(25-12-2011 08:51am)mark_n Wrote:  Yes, but in the meantime, you will be missing out on a great car to drive. You can wait for the next version of any product because there's always something new coming along. All the signs are that this is a car built to a high standard and there are very few reports of serious problems.

As for Tata, I think they got a bargain from Ford who were too busy minding the shop in Detroit and there's no shortage of investment being made here in the UK. It's a rare UK manufacturing success story.

I'm sure it is a great car to drive, as was my RRS. But my RRS had to be taken to the shop every 3 weeks, as something new would develop each time. It was bar none the most unreliable and annoying car I have ever owned and after that experience I was put off from LR products until the RRE came out. I'm hoping they did improve their cars a lot and so I'm hearing from the newer cars across the range. I had no way of knowing how it will come out, and decided to wait, even if I put my deposit now I'll get the car in summer, which I won't be using then, so why not postpone it a bit more and wait for MY 2013, I'd get a newer car with all the usual first model year kinks worked out and peace of mind?
(25-12-2011 08:49am)rsk21 Wrote:  Why ?

Is it not obvious? It's one thing to have the experience, technology and funding from an auto giant like Ford, and it's another to have an Indian company with no tradition in this industry, and far less experienced, overseeing the design and manufacturing of a completely new car. Need I elaborate further?
(This post was last modified: 25-12-2011 05:20pm by ami_evo.)
25-12-2011 05:14pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rsk21

Evoque supercharged?

Probably yes.

On the basis that Ford royally cocked up with their whole PAG investment their heritage and expertise counted for sod all.

As for why the fact that they're Indian should make a difference I have no idea.
(This post was last modified: 26-12-2011 12:42am by rsk21.)
26-12-2011 12:41am
mark_n

Everything I have heard is that Tata are taking a hands-off approach and are letting JLR get on with it and the success of the RRE must be encouraging. If anything, the problem is over at Jaguar where volumes are not what they would wish and there's strong competition from the big German Three.

Tata recognise they have much to learn from JLR so are hardly going to upset the apple cart.

Halewood has had a better reputation for quality than Solihull and the early signs are the RRE is well put together for its price point. The kinks you talk repeatedly about are not visible to this experienced engineer.

So, by all means delay your purchase of an RRE. That will let someone else in earlier and we'll all be having fun in this great car while you continue to carp from the sidelines.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
26-12-2011 09:38am
lngrn36

(24-12-2011 01:09am)Evoqess Wrote:  Excuse me while I go and paint my Evoque badge red (with the high gloss nail polish in my glove compartment)! Surprised

Laughing

(26-12-2011 09:38am)mark_n Wrote:  Everything I have heard is that Tata are taking a hands-off approach and are letting JLR get on with it and the success of the RRE must be encouraging. If anything, the problem is over at Jaguar where volumes are not what they would wish and there's strong competition from the big German Three.

Tata recognise they have much to learn from JLR so are hardly going to upset the apple cart.

Halewood has had a better reputation for quality than Solihull and the early signs are the RRE is well put together for its price point. The kinks you talk repeatedly about are not visible to this experienced engineer.

So, by all means delay your purchase of an RRE. That will let someone else in earlier and we'll all be having fun in this great car while you continue to carp from the sidelines.

Well said! I have an eye for design so I didn't buy from LR because I wanted more than a box. When you step out of tradition like LR did on this Evoque you better get it right or you will be done. I for one think that it is a high quality product with very few "kinks" and very happy to have one!

Tim
Evoque Coupe Pure+
SI4 - Auto
Sumatra Black - Ebony/Ebony
Climate package
Satellite Radio
(This post was last modified: 26-12-2011 01:40pm by lngrn36.)
26-12-2011 01:31pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ami_evo

(26-12-2011 09:38am)mark_n Wrote:  Everything I have heard is that Tata are taking a hands-off approach and are letting JLR get on with it and the success of the RRE must be encouraging. If anything, the problem is over at Jaguar where volumes are not what they would wish and there's strong competition from the big German Three.

I wouldn't know if one factory churns out better built products than the other. Imo that shouldn't be happening. If that indeed is true, it speaks volumes about LR. Although to be fair I've heard that post MY 2010 cars are well sorted and far more reliable than the older ones.

First model year cars usually have a fair share of bugs and it's somewhat understandable, be they german, japanese or british. Given my previous, very disappointing experience with LR I would rather be safe than sorry.

I think we've gone off topic enough though.
26-12-2011 04:34pm
mark_n

(26-12-2011 04:34pm)ameer Wrote:  I wouldn't know if one factory churns out better built products than the other. Imo that shouldn't be happening. If that indeed is true, it speaks volumes about LR. Although to be fair I've heard that post MY 2010 cars are well sorted and far more reliable than the older ones.

What speaks volumes about LR is the post MY 2010 improvement you've heard about coincides with Ford's investments coming to fruition and the company being sold to "those Indians".

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
26-12-2011 05:47pm
ami_evo

(26-12-2011 05:47pm)mark_n Wrote:  What speaks volumes about LR is the post MY 2010 improvement you've heard about coincides with Ford's investments coming to fruition and the company being sold to "those Indians".

Not in the way you want to make it seem. While I like LR, and wish them continued success, and applaud their progress in making better cars, it took them far too long to do so. Also it's not about the owner's place of origin , it was about their lack of experience. I was disappointed with LR while they were under Ford ownership, naturally, I was even more cautious when they came under the current ownership with little experience and tradition in this industry.

That said, I'm glad everyone is happy with their cars, and I really hope we won't be hearing the horror stories that plagued past models, and so far it's looking pretty good with only minor issues. I will place my order once my dealer accepts deposits for MY 2013, as there is really no point in doing it now anymore. It's a 4-5 month wait for a new car.
(This post was last modified: 27-12-2011 08:48am by ami_evo.)
27-12-2011 08:39am