Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Evoque on top gear tonight
cjfp

RE: Evoque on top gear tonight

(11-07-2011 10:09pm)MW73 Wrote:  Sussex?Very Happy

Laughing

Pure 3dr SD4 Tech Man ; Firenze Red ; 19" Style 3 ; Pano ; Ebony / Ivory Int ; Auto dim rear view ; 2 seats ; Park Aid - Rear cam ; Ext. folding mirrors ; Adap Xenon ; Fogs ; Mud Flaps ; Side Steps - Rec'd 28/12/11 - Sadly going 6/6/14 - Gone, now running BMW X6
11-07-2011 10:15pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Alex

I would love to get the coupe as it looks a sportier than the 5 door. However despite not having children yet, fingers crossed maybe we may have one this time next year, in theory we could fit the supposed demographics/or buyer for the 3-door.

I mainly choose the 5 door as we only have one car, if it was a second car then the coupe for sure. But with the assumed baby arriving at some point (trust me getting the Evoque has been easier than getting a child!), plus with visiting parents and friends the 5 door is more practical.

Going back to what I said intially the Coupe does look a lot more agressive and sportier than the 5 door, that was the first thing I noticed at the Evoque live event. For some reason the wheels appeared to have a larger footprint than on the 5 door.

Arrived 22nd December - SD4 Dynamic Auto, Fuji White, Panoramic/Contrast Roof, Dynamic Plus & Lux Pack
12-07-2011 07:20am
griff

(11-07-2011 10:15pm)cjfp Wrote:  
(11-07-2011 10:09pm)MW73 Wrote:  Sussex?Very Happy

Laughing
Oh you are such wags (old meaning,not footballers wife etc) Wink

Arrived: SD4 Prestige Auto Coupe with Lux pack. Ipanema Sand with Black Panoramic Roof
Ambience Interior with Macassa wood.

Now a Jag XFR Kyanite Blue - wow what power.
At home and superb.
12-07-2011 08:17am
cobkelly

Quote: trust me getting the Evoque has been easier than getting a child!

I'm with you on that one Alex - after a looong time getting there we now have 16 month old twin girls - And it doesn't matter if the vehicle had extra wide winged doors, never mind 3 or 5 - doing anything with twins takes forever. Gone for a 5 door, and yes it was from a practicality point of view but mainly for ease of access when one of them decides to throw up as on a recent trip to Cornwall! Interesting to hear Charlie's comments about the designer's experience and I can see how that would make sense. Either way, I also have a Touran so any really long journey's will be in that due to larger boot and believe me, there is usually a ton of stuff that accompanies us everywhere!

All the best Alex - it is definitely worth the journey!
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2011 09:59am by cobkelly.)
12-07-2011 09:58am
Owend

(12-07-2011 09:58am)cobkelly Wrote:  Quote: trust me getting the Evoque has been easier than getting a child!

I'm with you on that one Alex - after a looong time getting there we now have 16 month old twin girls - And it doesn't matter if the vehicle had extra wide winged doors, never mind 3 or 5 - doing anything with twins takes forever. Gone for a 5 door, and yes it was from a practicality point of view but mainly for ease of access when one of them decides to throw up as on a recent trip to Cornwall! Interesting to hear Charlie's comments about the designer's experience and I can see how that would make sense. Either way, I also have a Touran so any really long journey's will be in that due to larger boot and believe me, there is usually a ton of stuff that accompanies us everywhere!

coincidence.. just speccing a VW Touran for my missus and little one now. Either that or a Yeti..... that way I can have the 3 door.....

I can see it now.... me waking up on a Monday morning, getting ready to head off to work, and the Evoque keys are gone...!!! my little girl is at school..!!!! and the Touran is sitting on the drive.... as my missus speeds off to work in the RRE
12-07-2011 11:57am
cobkelly

Yes, I've had similar thoughts - especially as my wife reminded me that she 'should' be on the insurance...
12-07-2011 12:30pm
Fox

(12-07-2011 11:57am)Owend Wrote:  
(12-07-2011 09:58am)cobkelly Wrote:  Quote: trust me getting the Evoque has been easier than getting a child!

coincidence.. just speccing a VW Touran for my missus and little one now. Either that or a Yeti..... that way I can have the 3 door.....

I can see it now.... me waking up on a Monday morning, getting ready to head off to work, and the Evoque keys are gone...!!! my little girl is at school..!!!! and the Touran is sitting on the drive.... as my missus speeds off to work in the RRE

We bought a Yeti to join our FF Range Rover. Simply amazing (IMO) for the price. £16k for a decent one if you don't want 4x4 when we bought pre-VAT increase.

Plan was to change it for an Evoque, but that plan has gone out of the window. At double the cost for a decent one plus it's wider my wife wants to keep the Yeti. She hates parking wide cars in parking spaces as you can't open the door and has become attached to the little snow monster.

We did look at the Touran, but it's just another VW. No personality and several thousand more than the Yeti for a smiliar vehicle.

Current: '97 Camel Trophy Defender, Skoda Yeti, Skoda VRS, Morris Minor.
Previous: 08 RR Vogue SE, 06 Vogue, 07 Defender, 05 Defender and so on.....
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2011 02:23pm by Fox.)
12-07-2011 02:23pm
Owend

(12-07-2011 02:23pm)Fox Wrote:  
(12-07-2011 11:57am)Owend Wrote:  

We bought a Yeti to join our FF Range Rover. Simply amazing (IMO) for the price. £16k for a decent one if you don't want 4x4 when we bought pre-VAT increase.

Plan was to change it for an Evoque, but that plan has gone out of the window. At double the cost for a decent one plus it's wider my wife wants to keep the Yeti. She hates parking wide cars in parking spaces as you can't open the door and has become attached to the little snow monster.

We did look at the Touran, but it's just another VW. No personality and several thousand more than the Yeti for a smiliar vehicle.

The Yeti, do you have an automatic (DSG) or manual.. I'm looking at a 1.4TSI manual for the missus.... we testd drove the 1.2TSI and I felt I'd like her to have a little more power in the mid range..!!!!!!

did you take the skoda navigation ?
12-07-2011 02:27pm
Sassy

(11-07-2011 08:23pm)Charlie Wrote:  I wonder how many of the 371 registered users of this forum are single females? But then if you work in the 'industry' you know it all, eh? Laughing

Okay well if you're going down that route you'd have to factor in the demographic for niche internet forum users (going to be male-led) and then assume that's representative of the orders in total. Unless you are suggesting only 371 orders have been placed worldwide?

Anyway I don't fit the demographic either as I am neither young nor single. My point, which you are choosing to ignore in order to be a bit of a smartarse, is that (like it or not) cars are designed with niche customers in mind, and it's true that some cars are designed primarily for aesthetics. It's fairly obvious the Evoque is aesthetically led - the gunslit rear screen being testament to this - and why shouldn't it be? Life's not one big episode of Outnumbered.

There are plenty products out there which are impractical, overpriced, and not perfect functionally but people still buy them for the way they look and feel, for the image and the brand values. So back to my original point - Jeremy Clarkson trying to pick a hole in the Evoque, when patently they've addressed that shortcoming by offering an alternative. It just demonstrates that if you want to fault the Evoque for not being thoughtful or broad in it's appeal, or for being an overpriced Freelander, or for being pointless (all criticisms I've heard leveled at this car) then you are not in Land Rover's sights as a customer. I didn't understand the previous comments in this forum about a slow electric slide being a huge design flaw - it's only a flaw if it doesn't meet purpose. To me a coupe's purpose is to on the whole dispense with the comfort considerations of rear passengers on the understanding that there will rarely be any, and to focus on driver enjoyment, space and ergonomics. So I can't see how the designers have made a huge booboo with the electric slide on the coupe, when the five door remedies this for those who want easy rear seat access. If the five door was a pain in the bum to use correctly, then fine, I'd agree that designers or LR people reading the forum should be concerned.

Incidentally I almost went for the five door for the same reasons mentioned by another poster earlier, that it looks and feels more like a compact range rover, but in the end I thought about how many times the back doors of my X3 have been opened in the last three years and decided they would rarely be needed so why get them.

I hope this sates your appetite for an argument here Charlie, I'm entitled to my view as a childless individual as much as you're entitled to your experience as a parent. I don't think it's necessary however to disparage the young single females who might be the customers LR is after in this instance. LR provide for several other sectors of the market with their product range, many of which are very family-friendly. Why shouldn't they seek out a new customer base with a car more suited to a different need than those of LR's existing owners?

On order: Coupe SD4 Dynamic Auto, Indus Silver, 20" Chrome Shadow Wheels, Pursuit/Lunar/Gloss Black
Current cars: BMW X3 (MK1)
Gone: Mini Cooper S
Gone: Lotus Exige
12-07-2011 02:32pm
Fox

(12-07-2011 02:27pm)Owend Wrote:  The Yeti, do you have an automatic (DSG) or manual.. I'm looking at a 1.4TSI manual for the missus.... we testd drove the 1.2TSI and I felt I'd like her to have a little more power in the mid range..!!!!!!

did you take the skoda navigation ?

My wife can only drive auto so we got the 1.2 DSG.

The 1.4 is a bit nippier. With 7 gears and the quick change of the DSG the 1.2 does feel quite lively up to about 55mph, then starts to tail off a little and doesn't really want to go over 90mph. So fine for pottering about or trips on the motorway.
Payback is that despite being a petrol it averages over 40mpg, which considering it's got quite a blunt front end and is petrol is fine.

The 1.4 is deceptively nippy for it's cubic capacity, just a shame it doesn't come with a DSG box. I've never seen my wife use full throttle in the 1.2 though as the little one is alway aboard.

Bad point is the waiting list. You often have to wait between 3 and 6 months as they are so popular.

No, we didn't get the navigation as it was nearly 10% of the car cost.
So I bought one off ebay for less than half the cost and fitted that. (factory slight second apparently...)
Great system, seems to have been modelled on the 2006 FF Range Rover system as it's nearly identical, just with a better screen and no TV option.

Current: '97 Camel Trophy Defender, Skoda Yeti, Skoda VRS, Morris Minor.
Previous: 08 RR Vogue SE, 06 Vogue, 07 Defender, 05 Defender and so on.....
(This post was last modified: 12-07-2011 02:37pm by Fox.)
12-07-2011 02:35pm