Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Engine won't start help!
thelastnat

Engine won't start help!

Last night I parked my car in the garage, left the key in it (I often park the car at home with my key in it). I decided to use my Freelander the next day, when I came back home in the evening, I suspect that the Evoque's taillight come on. So I went in to the car try to see if I have left the something on, but the engine won't start at all! Shortly after I tried to start it a few times, all the electrical in the car went off. I swear that I didn't leave the lights on because I always park my Evoque and use my Freelander every other day. This is the first time that it happen. Anyone has an idea what's wrong with it?
13-04-2012 07:21am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mickydd

RE: Engine won't start help!

It shouldnt be low battery as the Evoque has numerous safety systems built in.
Have you tried placing the key remote in the cut out under the steering column.
I know that I had to do this when I had left my key in the car overnight, I believe the car only searches for key remote for a set time and then stops.
Good luck and let us know.

Arrived 24th February. Dynamic 5 dr SD4, manual ,Firenze with Verve interior, 20" Sparkle
13-04-2012 09:01am
thelastnat

(13-04-2012 09:01am)mickydd Wrote:  It shouldnt be low battery as the Evoque has numerous safety systems built in.
Have you tried placing the key remote in the cut out under the steering column.
I know that I had to do this when I had left my key in the car overnight, I believe the car only searches for key remote for a set time and then stops.
Good luck and let us know.
Thanks for the comment, Micky
I did tried placing the key in the cut out, but nothing happened. I might have to call in the dealer.... Crying
13-04-2012 09:10am
bell-auto-services

Just put the battery on charge for a few hrs and try it again.

Pete

TV/DVD-On-The-Move modules available from £145+ £10 UK mainland shipping Excluding higlands and Islands.
13-04-2012 10:19am
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mikey777

Hi, I have had similar problem where car would not start on a couple of times and dealer recond keys need resetting. However, poped into dealer and they said put key where you said, but press hazards once and then car should start This is special feature which is also on large RR
Hope it helps maybe try other key?
Cheers
MikeyIdea

[/quote]

Pure 2.2 SD4, Manual, Firenza with cirrus, Pano, Zenons, Front Fogs, Camera, Privacy glass,
19" Style 4 and Spare
13-04-2012 01:04pm
thelastnat

To day I tried jump starting the car, the battery light came on. I think there's something wrong with the battery, in Thailand we're on holiday until the 18th, so I'll take it in and have the dealer look at it.
But how could the batter failed so fast on the new car?
14-04-2012 08:10am
Land Rover Techy

(14-04-2012 08:10am)thelastnat Wrote:  To day I tried jump starting the car, the battery light came on. I think there's something wrong with the battery, in Thailand we're on holiday until the 18th, so I'll take it in and have the dealer look at it.

Hi, Sorry to hear your having trouble with your Evoque

Batterys can become faulty at any known time a dealer should have the relevant equipment to test the condition of the battery. If the battery is ok, do you have any aftermarket fitments to the vehcile such as a tracker or any other electrical devices. It may be a case that something is draining the battery and this can also be checked by the dealer.

With ref to you jump starting the car,

Did you connect the leads straight onto the top of the battery in your evoque.
If so you may of damaged the Battery Monitoring Unit which is bulilt onto the negative battery lead. If you need to jump start the car in the future i would reccomend to put the negative lead onto the engine mounting Close the the RH headlamp area.

It may be a case that the dealer will have to reset the battery monitoring system if the car is showing the battery light even though is now recharged

Thanks

Ask me, I may just know the answer !!
14-04-2012 10:32am
Donny Dog

(14-04-2012 10:32am)Land Rover Techy Wrote:  Ask me, I may just know the answer !!

OK, I will!

I have always had battery problems with my cars as I don't do many miles or long journeys. To combat this, I purchased a CTEK Multi XS 3600 which is a sophisticated trickle-charger. I hard wire the plug to the battery (negative to the chassis) and the charger then just plugs in as and when required. Prior to this, I had used a more old-fashioned charger, and it had wrecked the instruments of my Mercedes (I was told by the dealer that I should have disconnected the battery, but that in itself caused lots of reset issues). Since using the CTEK, I have successfully left my Mercedes and my wife's Toyotas on long-term charge without problems and without disconnecting the battery.

So the question is, am I safe to do exactly the same with my wife's Evoque? (Charging it as described without disconnecting the battery).
14-04-2012 11:50am
Wicksy

(14-04-2012 08:10am)thelastnat Wrote:  To day I tried jump starting the car, the battery light came on. I think there's something wrong with the battery, in Thailand we're on holiday until the 18th, so I'll take it in and have the dealer look at it.
If you leave your keys in the ignition (even in the off position) it can flatten your battery. I experienced the exact same thing in my Lexus RX.
14-04-2012 12:26pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Donny I leave mine undriven for up to 3 months and all I do is plug in a solar powered trickle charger into the boot area socket - the really important thing is to remember to unplug it before starting the engine.
Have done this since last September with my Evoque and before that with my 2010MY FFRR without any problems. I would recommend anybody who is going to leave their Evoque at an airport long term open air carpark to spend £20 on one of Maplin's devices that has a diode protector built-in to prevent discharging the battery at night so they don't end up at 3am after a long flight home having to call out LRA so they can get into their pride and joy.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 14-04-2012 02:01pm by XFullFatTim.)
14-04-2012 01:59pm