Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Eco Stop/Start problems
Pedalpower

Eco Stop/Start problems

I know this has been mentioned before but there is def some sort of software bug with the Stop Start, sometimes it does not work, sometimes it does. After reading through posts relating to the conditions it will/wont operate under, i have narrowed it down to be connected to the internal temperature setting.

Someone mentioned that stop start will not work in the internal temp is not within a certain amount of the requested temp on the dial, however bug seems to think the internal temp is not inline with this. If you stop start is nto working, just turn the temp down, turn the engine off, restart, then once running you can turn the temp back up to where it was before, and bingo, stop start works !. Pretty disappointed to find another software glitch. Not sure how this one was missed !.

anyone else tried this ?
06-03-2012 10:18am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Eco Stop/Start problems

I have a suspicion that this could be linked to the way that the "smart" alternator decides which functions are giving the battery a hard time / are more important to the driver and limits them in cold weather. By adjusting the cabin temperature right down you are reducing the load on the alternator caused by the PTC cabin heater and allowing more power to go to the Stop/Start system.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
06-03-2012 10:32am
PhilSkill

Interesting find pedal power, as Tim says it may not be a bug, but an effect of the systems to keep the Battery charge level good, I have noticed my Stop/Start has not functioned since my mate raised the passenger side temperature when travelling back from Halewood, although it did work when we came off the Motorway, so fit's with your power cycle theory, but that needs to be cross checked with lower temperatures outside again too. I'll keep an eye out, and guess this is one for the software list.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
06-03-2012 12:41pm
rchrdleigh

Eco/Stop Start checks whether it is OK to switch the engine off before doing so. Things which may stop the engine switching off are low battery charge, climate control has not stabilised the interior temperature, low external temperature, high drain on the battery due to radio/sat nav etc being used. Also the slightest pressure on teh clutch will keep the engine running.
06-03-2012 01:02pm
Pedalpower

Good point Tim, i didn't think the Evoque had the regenerative braking type alternator ?, does it ?.

Its def a odd one, i changed nothing other than dropped the temp from 23 to 21 (and the outside temp remained at 3deg), turned the car off, started it again, then start stop started working... then i put the temp back to 23 for the rest of the journey and start stop kept working !, even tried at 24 and it still worked....
06-03-2012 01:04pm
rchrdleigh

The engine will not automatically stop if:-
• the external temperature is below approximately 0°C (32°F)
• the external temperature is above approximately40°C (104°F)
• engine has not reached operating temperature
• driver’s seat belt is not fastened
• driver’s door is not fully closed
• the driver’s foot is on either the clutch or accelerator pedals
• climate control system demand is high
• battery charge is low
• the DPF is regenerating
• HDC or a Terrain Response special program are selected

I suspect in your example above the demand on the climate control system reduced to a level where the car decided it was OK to stop the engine and that when you restarted the engine it decided it was still OK to stop even though you changed to desired temperature setting. Either that or the battery charge initially was low and by the time you turned the car off and restarted it, the charge had reached a satisfactory level.
06-03-2012 02:32pm
PhilSkill

Having not had stop/start cut in recently with ext temps at 4 deg, I dropped my passenger heating to 20.5 (from the raised 21.5) after starting engine and the stop/start came in once warmed up, but also ext temp was 8 deg, raised it to 23.5 and stop start still came in at the next lights. Can only really summise that the temperature delta from cabin to selected temp is causing the climate control demand too high to be taking effect to stop it being used.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
06-03-2012 09:52pm
THEMACS

I assume there is an override to turn the Stupid thing Off!!!!!

I really don't believe that all this Stop Start Censored actually does anything but knacker your engine and parts there of, and it certainly doesn't increase fuel economy, its all a big Swizz to get the CO2's dow, not that I am complaining about that, as long as it has an OFF Button thats fine by me!!Very Happy

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
06-03-2012 10:01pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

You are safe, it isn't fitted to the SD4. I agree with your sentiments The Macs and also doubt it's benefits or if owners actually ever use it.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 06-03-2012 10:04pm by XFullFatTim.)
06-03-2012 10:04pm
THEMACS

(06-03-2012 10:04pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  You are safe, it isn't fitted to the SD4. I agree with your sentiments The Macs and also doubt it's benefits or if owners actually ever use it.

I think it is, well according to the Internet, its fitted to ALL Manual carsCrying

It should have an On button not an Off button!!Laughing

I have drove a few 1 Series courtesy cars that have it on and its a pain in the proverbial!! I am sure it puts unnecessary strains on moving parts!!

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
06-03-2012 10:10pm