Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ED4 v New BMW 3 Seriesv VW Golf v Merc E Class E200v Skoda Superb
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

ED4 v New BMW 3 Seriesv VW Golf v Merc E Class E200v Skoda Superb

Autocar this week has a group test of the Evoque ED4 v BMW 320d and the others in the title....................... foregone conclusion, the 3 series won, but LR must be pleased that the ED4 Evoque was 2nd.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 03-03-2012 10:14am by XFullFatTim.)
03-03-2012 10:13am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rchrdleigh

RE: ED4 v New BMW 3 Seriesv VW Golf v Merc E Class E200v Skoda Superb

Did a comparison test last Summer with an SD4, BMW330 Toruing, Audi Q5, Audi TT and Mercedes E200. Admitedly the BMW was the old model but the results based on 100 people testing were:

Evoque, Audi TT, Merc, Audi Q5 and BMW.
03-03-2012 12:15pm
tash

Good result but not a very good write, more pictures than anything. Hopefully will have my ed4 delivered next week and until reading the report was a little worried the ed4 may feel under powered.

Has anyone taken delivery of their ed4 and if so what's the thoughts. I have driven both manual and auto sd4's and they feel powerful enough for every day driving, also used to have a 158bhp FL2 manual few years back and that felt also, so hoping the lighter and 2wd ed4 will be fine.

Ed4 pure 5 door, Fuji, pan roof, tech pack, privacy, fog lights, style 6 wheels, ebony interior, delivery 22nd March
03-03-2012 07:40pm
PAT

The eD4 didn't do as well in this months What Car.

It was up against a Chevrolet Volt and Audi A5 Sportback in what they classed as a 'Something very different for £30,000' test.

It came last by a long way with criticism of the high boot floor, bulky central console which seems to hem in the driver and an unsettled drive.

Overall they classed it as a disappointing drive and gave it three stars out of five.

What Car certainly aren't as big a fan of the Evoque as other magazines so it'll be interesting to read their thoughts once they get one of their own to add to their long term tests. Plus they are going to add an Audi A3 to their fleet so that should be interesting (IMO).

Current: Si4 - HSE Dynamic Lux - Corris Grey with Black Pano - Adaptive Dynamics - ATPC - Adaptive LED Headlights - Privacy Glass - Style 508's - Heated Steering Wheel - Spare Wheel - Ebony Headlining
Previous: Si4 - Dynamic 5 Door - Lux - Orkney Grey with Black Pano
10-03-2012 05:23pm
Sarcastrix

(10-03-2012 05:23pm)PAT Wrote:  It came last by a long way with criticism of the high boot floor,

A high boot floor on a 4x4? - now there's shocker! Rolling Eyes

Ordered: 25th Jan 2012 - Completed: 8th March 2012

Dynamic Coupe SD4 Auto / Fuji / Pano Roof / Tech Park 2 / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Adaptive Xenons / Black H'lining / Cold Climate Pack / Auto-dim Mirror / Aux Heater / Roof Rails / Mud-flaps
10-03-2012 05:35pm
XFullFatTim

Yeh but is was the eD4 = 2WD! So in What Car's tiny mind it isn't an SUV crossover style, it's a family sized small hatchback........... more and more I think What Car? is loosing it's credibility. I stopped my subscription 5 years ago because of their often very biased tests - you could predict that the Beemer, the Audi or the Merc pitted against the others in the group was going to come out tops without reading the test - even though the cars were poor value for money against their competitors, often had rock hard springing and in the case of Audis and Mercs were generally rather boring.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 05:50pm by XFullFatTim.)
10-03-2012 05:45pm
PAT

Although I don't have my Evoque yet I have to question What Car's criticism and lack of professionalism when it comes to their reviews.

Like Sarcastix says, how can you criticis the Evoque for having a high boot floor as its a 4x4!

They have also had numerous reviews stating the car they are testing is a Pure, yet the pictures are of, say a Dynamic or Prestige, so it doesn't fill me with confidence that they actually know what they are writing about.

Either way, I dont understand their stance on the Evoque but each to their own I supose albeit I too am considering ditching my subscription.

Current: Si4 - HSE Dynamic Lux - Corris Grey with Black Pano - Adaptive Dynamics - ATPC - Adaptive LED Headlights - Privacy Glass - Style 508's - Heated Steering Wheel - Spare Wheel - Ebony Headlining
Previous: Si4 - Dynamic 5 Door - Lux - Orkney Grey with Black Pano
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2012 11:56pm by PAT.)
10-03-2012 06:26pm
Evo-king

+1.

What is it with them and the Evouque, won't be buying any of their mags in future.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
10-03-2012 06:49pm
XFullFatTim

I bet if it were badged with a blue and white circular badge and was called the X2 it would have won hands down.

10-03-2012 07:20pm
rchrdleigh

(10-03-2012 07:20pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I bet if it were badged with a blue and white circular badge and was called the X2 it would have won hands down.

+1
10-03-2012 07:42pm