Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Door resprayed
Kentboy

Door resprayed

Oh dear, had a door dent repaired and the door resprayed (Barolo Black) but it doesn't look right. In the sun there doesn't seem to be the same depth to the black. Really disappointed as the careless driver that opened his door onto my door causing the problem has ruined my car that only has 1000 miles on the clock.

Will it ever look the same?

Evoque Prestige SD4, Barolo Black contrast white roof, Ambiance Upholstery with Figured Macassar wood insert, Privecy glass, Lux Pack, 20" Style 6 Alloys, Spare Wheel. Ordered 10th March estimated completion date 6th July.
(This post was last modified: 22-09-2012 05:07pm by Kentboy.)
22-09-2012 05:06pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Izzy

RE: Door resprayed

Who resprayed the door? A respray often will have an area of "blending" and not just a straight respray because of the issue you mentioned. Why don't you take it back and mention it to the painter? In addition, your vehicle isn't THAT old so color matching shouldn't be too difficult unless sprayer got the wrong color code.
22-09-2012 05:30pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Also dark metallics can be nearly as difficult as silver to match. Was the repair done by an LR approved body shop ?

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
22-09-2012 06:52pm
jettie1767

Why did you have to repaint? Couldn't be fixed using paintless dent repair?

'12 BMW M6 Convertible - San Marino Blue
'12 RR Evoque Coupe Dynamic - Santorini Black
'13 BMW X3 SAV - Space Gray
23-09-2012 01:15am
Kentboy

Hi All

I had the repaint as the dent was down to the metal, it looked like a corner of a door had hit it hard.

I used a spray shop recommended by a guy on here and as they were a family company and had all the equipment and work mainly on high end vehicles I felt they would do a good job.

They did say they may need to go into the rear door to 'blend' the paint in should they not be able to get a perfect match but in the end they were confident they had a perfect match and only painted the door.

In fairness to them they have asked me to take the car back as they want me to be happy and will put it right. I am taking it back tomorrow but I am now wondering if it will ever be to my satisfaction and back as new.

If only people would take more care when they open their door next to another car.

Crying

Evoque Prestige SD4, Barolo Black contrast white roof, Ambiance Upholstery with Figured Macassar wood insert, Privecy glass, Lux Pack, 20" Style 6 Alloys, Spare Wheel. Ordered 10th March estimated completion date 6th July.
23-09-2012 09:16am
XFullFatTim

(23-09-2012 09:16am)Kentboy Wrote:  If only people would take more care when they open their door next to another car.

I feel very sorry for you with this happening to such a new car but your last line just isn't going to happen in this day and age. I watched an elderly couple in a brand new 62 plate E Class throw their car doors straight onto the cars parked next to them in a garden centre car park yesterday - if someone had done the same to their car I'm sure they would have thrown a wobbler at that car owner had they seen it happen. It isn't always the battered old cars full of uncontrolled kids that cause the problems, some older folks need a "care and attention" check.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 23-09-2012 09:37am by XFullFatTim.)
23-09-2012 09:35am
Richieleo

(22-09-2012 05:06pm)Kentboy Wrote:  Oh dear, had a door dent repaired and the door resprayed (Barolo Black) but it doesn't look right. In the sun there doesn't seem to be the same depth to the black. Really disappointed as the careless driver that opened his door onto my door causing the problem has ruined my car that only has 1000 miles on the clock.

Will it ever look the same?

I have a similar problem. I took delivery of my mauritius blue evoque. A few days later, I noticed a paint chip on the front fender. It was so small I didn't notice it at first. Brought it back to the agent. They said they would respray the panel for me for free. So I thought...great! Well not so great...

The respray by LR, did not have the same "sparkle" as the original paint work. It was only noticable in bright sunlight. Since it had been raining, I didn't notice it till 3 days after I got the car back. Bringing it back to the agent on Monday to raise hell at this shoddy work.

Dynamic // Si4 // 5 door // Mauritius Blue // Black Roof // Vortex Interior // 20" Style 6 Wheels // Front & Rear Parking Aid// Auto Dim r.view mirror//voice control//hdd nav//load retention system.
(This post was last modified: 23-09-2012 10:42am by Richieleo.)
23-09-2012 10:41am
The Valeter

(23-09-2012 09:16am)Kentboy Wrote:  Hi All

I had the repaint as the dent was down to the metal, it looked like a corner of a door had hit it hard.

I used a spray shop recommended by a guy on here and as they were a family company and had all the equipment and work mainly on high end vehicles I felt they would do a good job.

They did say they may need to go into the rear door to 'blend' the paint in should they not be able to get a perfect match but in the end they were confident they had a perfect match and only painted the door.

In fairness to them they have asked me to take the car back as they want me to be happy and will put it right. I am taking it back tomorrow but I am now wondering if it will ever be to my satisfaction and back as new.

If only people would take more care when they open their door next to another car.

Crying

I'm guessing they would want to blend into the rear door. I asked for this not to be done once on a bonnet/wing & regretted it.
They will be ok with doing it again. I guess they wanted to repaint as little as possible to keep the original!

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
23-09-2012 08:36pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Kentboy

(23-09-2012 08:36pm)The Valeter Wrote:  I'm guessing they would want to blend into the rear door. I asked for this not to be done once on a bonnet/wing & regretted it.
They will be ok with doing it again. I guess they wanted to repaint as little as possible to keep the original!

Hi Valeter, I really don't want the problem to go any further than the door at the moment as the respray isn't anything like the original paintwork when the sun is on it so don't want to end up with the problem creeping down the side of the car.

I am beginning to think the dent was better!!!!

23-09-2012 09:06pm
XFullFatTim

The problem for the painter is getting the micatallic particles in the paint laying in the same direct as those of the original paint, that will be very very difficult to achieve and I think you may end up with a door that always looks resprayed

23-09-2012 10:12pm