Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Do I ask dealer not to prepare
defender_uk

RE: Do I ask dealer not to prepare

sorry...but what are detailers and what do they do???? I know I am thick.....

Defender_uk

Evoque Prestige Lux, OG, maual, style 4 wheels

comes to live with Defender 90 TDCi 07
08-02-2012 12:35pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Valeter

A detailer is an American term for valeter.
In the UK a Detailer is the step above valeter & generally uses very expensive products with multi stage preparation etc. I just don't think new cars really need a detail to be honest just proper preparation provided they havn't sat in a compound for ages or stored near a railway line etc. Apparently some get new cars clay barred by request, this is usually done when a car has become contaminated from air polutants etc which shouldn't be the case if it has just come from the production line.

Generally when you have a car detailed it is usually a bit worse for wear especially the paint & you have a multi stage paint renovation/correction then polished & sealed. Generally a very extensive valet which as predantic as I am to me is a waste of money if you use the car on a daily basis as as soon as you wash the car the next time you are contributing to the next lot of scratches/swirls on the paintwork. I think the only time a car benefits from a "Detail" as such is if it is a car you only use on summer dry days & or for shows only or if you are using it for a special occasion etc.

(not promoting my services) Just to explain that I am a detailed valeter in as much as I take plenty of time in what I do & it is done thoroughly but I do not to paint correction etc as this can be a risky process if done wrong!

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
(This post was last modified: 08-02-2012 09:41pm by The Valeter.)
08-02-2012 09:37pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Mikey777

Hi Peet,
I live in n/yorks and am thinking of using detailer. Can I ask who you using and what dealer?
Thanks
Mikey Very Happy

quote='peet' pid='38195' dateline='1328433764']
I'm getting a detailer to prep the car at the dealership before I take delivery. They know each other and I can be assured of a thorough inspection of the finish before I accept the car.
[/quote]

Pure 2.2 SD4, Manual, Firenza with cirrus, Pano, Zenons, Front Fogs, Camera, Privacy glass,
19" Style 4 and Spare
08-02-2012 09:49pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I would have thought that having a brand new car "detailed" would be about the worst thing you could do for a new paint finish. In my younger days as a new car owner I was always told never to to polish a new car in it's first year - use good quality detergent to wash it on a cloudy day and then dry it carefully with a Chamois leather but NEVER to apply any polish. I appreciate that water based paints are not as good and cars leave the factory with a zillion paint defects, but the first time you drive out in it it's going to get road crap on it so what's the point of wasting loads of money on a "detail" on a new car

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-02-2012 10:25pm
THEMACS

(08-02-2012 10:25pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  I would have thought that having a brand new car "detailed" would be about the worst thing you could do for a new paint finish. In my younger days as a new car owner I was always told never to to polish a new car in it's first year - use good quality detergent to wash it on a cloudy day and then dry it carefully with a Chamois leather but NEVER to apply any polish. I appreciate that water based paints are not as good and cars leave the factory with a zillion paint defects, but the first time you drive out in it it's going to get road crap on it so what's the point of wasting loads of money on a "detail" on a new car

I have spoken to a detailer who is going to do our new Evoque at the dealers before we pick up, from what I understand it is more of a protection with perhaps a bit of corrective work if required. I think you would be surprised at the state a lot of new cars com e through to the dealers, although I am sure you know that Tim, maybe thats why you chose whiteLaughing

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
08-02-2012 11:03pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

At the moment mine is more Ipanema mud over Fuji white - haven't washed it for a week and don't see any point in doing it until the weather improves - now I remember why the last 2 cars have been Stornoway Grey!

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
08-02-2012 11:32pm