Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Discovery Sport
Tony

RE: Discovery Sport

(08-09-2014 06:10pm)Craig_d1 Wrote:  Did you watch the youtube clip from What Car? 5 things to know about the discovery sport. At the end they talk about the new engines. I'm assuming they are reading from the press release from LR but if true the new engines are 85kg lighter than the 2.2ltr SD4. That's quite a weight difference and I think will make a bit difference to the driving dynamics.
Think fuel economy plays a lesser role here as the longer you wait, the more you lose on the D4(though depreciation should start to slow), but if you wait 6months from launch and get the DS with the newer engine, you'll just delay the start of the depreciation on the newer car. Hard one as trying to think about it with mine, though my D4 will be 5yrs in November

Just think, as a story last month, LR profit margin has increased in the last quarter to 20.2% per vehicle, or a profit of £924million on sales of 115,596 cars. So LR making on average £8,000 profit per vehicle sold(and dealers have to make a profit on top of that too). No wonder they're more Dacia around.
Think LR should stop hiking prices or at least put some of that profit margin into Quality Control or improving materials used.

I still want a DS though, even though it'll cost more than my D4 hseSad I'm waiting for the jag Xe launch later today so I can read up a bit on the new engines and make my decision whether to wait or not

Craig, I think my fault rectification work so far has eaten in to LR's profit on my car and they will certainly never sell me another one. Our current position with a miss functioning gearbox is today we have been told to basically run it until stops on the road side or something breaks as they cannot find the fault. What a load of cr@p to tell a customer with a new £50k car. LR should be shamed by every means with that sort of customer attitude.

Evoque Dynamic SD4 Lux Auto Total Rubbish, worst car I have owned - GONE AT LAST!
(This post was last modified: 08-09-2014 06:49pm by Tony.)
08-09-2014 06:33pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Valeter

(08-09-2014 09:36am)Tony Wrote:  Tim, that is all true enough. The question remains for many, should they spend up to £50k on a DS which will no doubt have the same appalling quality as the Evoque when they can buy anyone elses 7 seat people carrier for half that.

Well that's just plain ridiculous if a Discovery Sport can be specced up to £50K. Makes nonsense of having a Landrover (Discovery) family which is the cheaper end then a Range Rover (Premium) family & in the case of the D-Sport & the FL2 given these are both built on the same production line as the baby Range Rover are just different versions of the same thing & using the same materials but charged at different prices.

No way would I pay £50K for that, not a chance, total waste of money. You would be better paying a further £10K & getting a Range Rover Sport or if they hadn't foolishly dropped the SE Sport the difference would have been far less.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
08-09-2014 11:11pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J77

It's the same with the RRS and FFRR, one in the same car. The Fl2 top spec was £42k entry level disco starts at that price.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
09-09-2014 04:32am
Craig_d1

(09-09-2014 04:32am)J77 Wrote:  It's the same with the RRS and FFRR, one in the same car. The Fl2 top spec was £42k entry level disco starts at that price.

Bought my D4 hse for £44k. Same car today is over £56k. Also I remember when Hse pretty much gave you everything. The D3 gave you adaptive headlights, my D4 dropped the adaptive but still had auto high beam, now it's a a cost option.

Hse on the DS doesn't give you Windsor leather, but grained, which is the same on an Evoque Pure. Nothing wrong with it but the DS hse auto is £39,395 base price before options. For that I would of thought you get premium leather seats, and free metallic paint(it's free on the Range Rover). I can swallow paying for the paint if the car was cheaper but it's more expensive than the comparable'premium' Range Rover, so how come it's not included. 'discovery' is meant to be the family fun outdoor option
09-09-2014 09:34am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I tried building a DS on the configurator and have found another extra cost option in the kit lists - to have the tow pack fitted you now have to pay separately for the towing hardware and then the electrics will cost you even more on top as they are now not included in the towhook like they used to be. I reckon that will take the cost of having the tow pack to over £900 once you add on the cost of fitting the electrics. What in god's name has come over LR, it's rapidly becoming a fleece the buyer for everything company. They are rapidly pricing themselves out of the market in the UK

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
09-09-2014 10:56am
J77

There is a few strange things with the DS, you can't have auto lights/wipers with the SE and you can't have the powered tailgate either.

It's all to pot, what was wrong with S, GS, XS, HSE each one had its plus points and seemed a reasonable price for the level of kit.

18MY Range Rover Velar R-Dynamic SE D240
09-09-2014 11:39am