Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Difference Between Sport & Drive
Good shot

RE: Difference Between Sport & Drive

(14-10-2014 02:57pm)DVFlyer Wrote:  To echo what others have said, I've used "S" mode a bit. Seems to hold the revs longer before shifting, but doesn't get near redline during casual acceleration and seems to shift quicker. Also holds gears longer before shifting up, which I like. e.g. coming to slow speed corner, it holds a lower gear so the car doesn't seem to lug during the turn.

I plan on keeping it in S mode for a tank or two to see how it affects the gas mileage.

That's the same for me. Just auto changes up at higher revs in S. Be interested to see how your mileage comparison between S and D works out.

Last 2013 SD4 Auto, Prestige, Pano, Firenze Red. Loving the USB shuffle.
14-10-2014 09:00pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Doody

(14-10-2014 02:57pm)DVFlyer Wrote:  I plan on keeping it in S mode for a tank or two to see how it affects the gas mileage.

I'll tell you how it affects mileage, dude.....

ShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

doody

2012 Prestige Premium
15-10-2014 01:30am
DVFlyer

(15-10-2014 01:30am)Doody Wrote:  I'll tell you how it affects mileage, dude.....

ShockedShockedShockedShockedShocked

doody

ha ha ha. Laughing

2014 Zanzibar Pure Premium. Black roof, black wheels, black interior.
15-10-2014 02:18pm
jcarrot

The difference as I have found it on my 9 speed is that changing up and down usually involves around 500 revs more to change up and changing down is quicker.
This is very useful on winding country lanes instead of using excessive braking.
It is the only time I use Sport as I have found very little difference in forward progress between the the two apart from a lot of noise!
20-10-2014 01:16pm
Gjh0702

I originally posted this
The background to the question is would it be 'safer' on a Motorway to run in 'S' on the basis should i need to accelerate responsiveness will be much better- although would not wish to see MPG drop

Prestige 5 door ,my 2014,Loire Blue, Silver Roof, Panoramic roof, privacy glass, 20in Alloy style 7
20-10-2014 05:12pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

What's the point of having an auto if you are going to manually shift gears all the time with the paddles or when the revs get high enough to force an up shift? Personally I find the kick down in auto is pretty swift and mine will kick down several gears as fast as you can do it with the paddles

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
20-10-2014 09:43pm