Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Depreciation...
IKM

RE: Depreciation...

(22-03-2013 01:48pm)jbob Wrote:  I suppose the point is it's not *bad* as such, but it could be made better (i.e more efficient).

Building a new gearbox two years ago would have delayed the launch, so they went with what they had at the time, and when the new box was ready they refresh the car.

Makes sense, but I do worry that if a new 9 speed comes out with good MPG that the early cars will be hit be depreciation.
Evoque owners to date have been fortunate with depreciation. Buy the car you want and can afford and be done with it!

Arrived 16 December 2011: Prestige SD4 auto 5dr in OG with Adaptive Dynamics, Adaptive Xenons, Surround Cameras, Auto Dimming Rearview, Grey Oak Wood, Spare Wheel and Powered Tailgate.

Joining 2010 Freelander XS Td4e in Stornoway Grey (we like Grey!)
22-03-2013 11:51pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
donot521

(22-03-2013 11:24pm)Evo-king Wrote:  Please refresh my memory who is providing this 9 speed auto?

ZF
23-03-2013 12:39am
ED209

Just realised my evoque was actually cheaper new than I thought. I actually got 91.5% back after a year. Not too shabby

td4 Pure manual in orkney grey, auto wipers/lights, front fogs, spare wheel. carmats4u mats, travall dog guard. Collected 30/03/12.
27-03-2013 09:34pm
The Valeter

(22-03-2013 12:29pm)Urban Splash Wrote:  Of course.....the auto box in the evoque is so good, LR are changing it after only 2 years........

In Evoque terms yes but in production terms no as the 6 speed auto is in the Freelander on same production line etc so I guess given the new box wasn't ready at Evque launch it was better to sell 2 years worth of cars with a 6 speed rather than wait for new box. Of course those who bought early Evoque with 6 speed will in most cases like the car then go back after the 2 years when some may replace anyway & buy the 9 speed.

Came Home On 02/03/13 Pure Tech In Barolo Black/Cirrus Trim with Bespoke Firenze Ascents + Numerous Factory Options!!
Also :-

Rover 25GSi - 2005 Everyday Car.
MG ZR-Express Van - 2005 Special Factory Order (Literally a one off).
MG Montego 2.0i - 1990 Shows/Sunny Days.
MG Metro 1300 - 1983 Being Restored!
27-03-2013 11:57pm
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
xxxx5

(27-03-2013 11:57pm)The Valeter Wrote:  Of course those who bought early Evoque with 6 speed will in most cases like the car then go back after the 2 years when some may replace anyway & buy the 9 speed.

I wouldn't bet on it. I certainly wouldn't buy another JLR product, to many issues and terrible dealer service wouldn't have me part with my money.

Now Sold: 5dr Pure SD4 Man / Fuji White / Pano Roof / Tech Park / Style 6 Alloys / Privacy Glass / Xenons / Black H'lining / Power Fold Door Mirrors / Power Tailgate / Carpet Mats / Front Fogs.
28-03-2013 07:55am
markwiggy

Just sold my Evoque so I can be honest now,look around you there are Evoques everywhere I see one every time i go out on the road which is not a good thing for residuals. The main reason I got shut apart from the dreadful fuel consumption and the lousy auto box was I could see values plummeting in not to distant future. I do think the party is almost over, owners have had it good with cars fetching really good money,but LD are churning these cars out 24hrs a day.I offered my car to my local dealer in Liverpool, he offered me 32k and stated that UK stock cars are now available so bang goes the long waiting list which will have a knock on effect with used cars. We buy any car offered me 30k, I did receive a private offer ( you know who you are) but eventually got a good price from Clive Head at Hadley Green LD.

Mark

Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Auto 5 door Orkney Grey Black Roof with Panoramic and Privacy Glass
29-03-2013 06:20pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

Excuse me for maybe seeming ignorant but show me any new car that doesn't depreciate steeply after the first 18- 24 months of production. Many start depreciating steeply much sooner. I buy cars for use and enjoyment not because they are going to be worth so much after 2-3 years ownership. I note in the last 18 months since Evoque was launched no mainstream maker, especially BMW, Audi and Mercedes who the traditional volume sellers who made cars that allegedly held their values well, has produced a car that has been as desirable or held its value as well as an Evoque - not even the gold standard Merc SLK or Porsche Boxter have pulled that off. All good things come to an end and anyone who brought an Evoque thinking it would be worth more than 50% of it's purchase value after 3 years needs their head looked at. If it turns out at 3 years old that my Evoque is worth more than 50% of what was paid for it then I'll be happy but I went into purchase with my eyes open and was not swayed by it's looks and smart interior (after all its immediate predecessor on my drive had much higher interior quality - a FFRR)

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 30-03-2013 09:48am by XFullFatTim.)
30-03-2013 09:43am
markwiggy

I don't disagree with you,your never going to make any money buying a new car but I do think a lot of people thought the high residuals would last a lot longer. Some people can afford to take the hit, some can't. A guy on here was interested in buying my car but after reading this thread he decided not to pursue the purchase as he was worried about prices plummeting, I think he made the correct decision.

Mark

Range Rover Evoque Dynamic SD4 Auto 5 door Orkney Grey Black Roof with Panoramic and Privacy Glass
30-03-2013 11:52am
JohnM

(30-03-2013 09:43am)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Excuse me for maybe seeming ignorant but show me any new car that doesn't depreciate steeply after the first 18- 24 months of production. Many start depreciating steeply much sooner. I buy cars for use and enjoyment not because they are going to be worth so much after 2-3 years ownership. I note in the last 18 months since Evoque was launched no mainstream maker, especially BMW, Audi and Mercedes who the traditional volume sellers who made cars that allegedly held their values well, has produced a car that has been as desirable or held its value as well as an Evoque - not even the gold standard Merc SLK or Porsche Boxter have pulled that off. All good things come to an end and anyone who brought an Evoque thinking it would be worth more than 50% of it's purchase value after 3 years needs their head looked at. If it turns out at 3 years old that my Evoque is worth more than 50% of what was paid for it then I'll be happy but I went into purchase with my eyes open and was not swayed by it's looks and smart interior (after all its immediate predecessor on my drive had much higher interior quality - a FFRR)

+1 Thumbs Up
30-03-2013 03:06pm
j7david

(30-03-2013 11:52am)markwiggy Wrote:  Some people can afford to take the hit, some can't.

Who's forcing anyone to sell the vehicle?

Jan '12 Dynamic SD4 Auto, 19" General Grabber AT, a few options, off to Kenya soon.
30-03-2013 09:18pm