RE: Daytime Running taillights - again

It was a right hooker, on a 64 plate

evoque now gone, but not forgotten, on to bigger and better things
19-10-2014 07:29pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Gary pa28

:roll:Perhaps cars should do what AUDI do,

As the dash is lit up all the time and if you don't have AUTO lights fitted , enter a dim lit area IE TUNNEL the dash lights go off , to remind you , your lights are OFF .

Most cars dash are lit up permanently these days and it so easy to think lights are on when there not and having just a little green main head lights lit symbol isn't enough, how can it be when they can't see a bright orange fog light one that's been on for the last week , and the driver just thinks he has a lot of friends because every ones flashing and waving Rolling EyesRolling EyesRolling Eyes
19-10-2014 07:39pm
B_o_b_o

Highway Code anyone?

https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-dri...113-to-116
20-10-2014 05:01pm
IvorRedOne

How we used to laugh at Volvo Owners all those years ago......I was one of those Owners. Seems People don't know what they want anymore.
21-10-2014 02:25pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I see that since this thread started LR has now enabled all the expensive technology that is required to have DRL Tail Lights for the 2014 on RRS and FFRR and that Evoque will get them in 2016MY.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
22-03-2015 10:04am
fedup

(16-10-2014 07:16pm)mighTTy-RRE Wrote:  I never understand why DRLs are front only

Because that way you can see a car coming towards you - even in daylight you can distinguish between a parked car and a moving one at a glance. I've always assumed they're more for pedestrians than other drivers.

As for rear DRLs, I guess it's less of a problem because the car would be going away from you. And is there the argument that it could reduce the effectiveness of brake lights?

(20-10-2014 05:01pm)B_o_b_o Wrote:  Highway Code anyone?

https://www.gov.uk/general-rules-all-dri...113-to-116

"use headlights at night, except on a road which has lit street lighting."

I never knew this! So you can drive without headlights along street-lit roads?!
(This post was last modified: 22-03-2015 01:33pm by fedup.)
22-03-2015 01:32pm
PhilSkill

(21-10-2014 02:25pm)IvorRedOne Wrote:  How we used to laugh at Volvo Owners all those years ago......I was one of those Owners. Seems People don't know what they want anymore.

I still have a Volvo like this, but replacing bulbs is a regular and annoyingly expensive occurrence (at least they made it very easy). Frankly headlights on all the time doesn't make sense to me, sidelights would have been a better option.

LED's Running lights are good and work better than having headlights always on that can be very bright for oncoming drivers, although I find these too bright too and as more cars get them they are getting very distracting, shame they don't dim with the average daylight, so they can be full brightness in bright sunlight, but not so bright in overcast days.

In the Evoque on dull days, I turn my lights to side lights, then I have dimmer fronts running lights and rear lights on too! Does mean turning off Auto though.

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
22-03-2015 08:20pm
Kojak

(19-10-2014 03:35pm)Nowaytk Wrote:  Followd a new Disco Sport today and it looked like it had rear DRL's, the fronts were on DRL's ( no other lights on ) and when it went past the rear lights were on. Thought maybe it had just turned on his lights, so I went past it again to see just the DRL's on the front.
Maybe they've actualy listened and now have the rears as well ?

I'm being a bit lazy here instead of going and checking (It's cold and dark right now Very Happy )

But with evoques regardless whether they have the signature DRL's or the round non LED ones, isn't it the DRL that is also the front side lights?
If so running on side lights will of course give rear lights too.
Could this be what you saw?
The difference I beleive at least with the signature LED DRL's is that they are lower intensity as side lights than as DRL's

I stand to be corrected as this is its only a distant memory from fiddling around a couple of years ago on my 2013 Pure with xenons and automatic lights.

OUT - Pure SD4, Orkney Grey, 5 dr, Manual, Fogs, Xenons, Auto dim mirror, Auto lights / wipers, Power fold mirrors, spare wheel.
IN - Dynamic SD4, Indus Silver, 5 dr, Auto, Heated Steering Wheel, Auto Dim mirror, Spare wheel.
(This post was last modified: 22-03-2015 08:55pm by Kojak.)
22-03-2015 08:54pm