Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Curry Stain on front seat - aaarrrrrggghhh
paisan

RE: Curry Stain on front seat - aaarrrrrggghhh

Well I have certainly learned my lesson ! That wont be happening again , will be driving around with a box in the car to put takeaway in and its going in the footwell.

Apparently the vaseline breaks down the turmeric . The talc helps dry it all back out .
As turmeric is a dye when it comes into contact with something else it dyes that as well. Not sure how you go from black leather to green when in contact with curry oil though.

Since I was dealing with a leather seat I couldnt use anything too abrasive / bleach like . Also no perforations on the leather seat , its a PURE.

The seat looks pretty much OK now , I will give it another go and then some leather clean/feed.
06-08-2012 07:25pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
WB
WB

(06-08-2012 07:25pm)paisan Wrote:  Well I have certainly learned my lesson ! That wont be happening again , will be driving around with a box in the car to put takeaway in and its going in the footwell.

Apparently the vaseline breaks down the turmeric . The talc helps dry it all back out .
As turmeric is a dye when it comes into contact with something else it dyes that as well. Not sure how you go from black leather to green when in contact with curry oil though.

Since I was dealing with a leather seat I couldnt use anything too abrasive / bleach like . Also no perforations on the leather seat , its a PURE.

The seat looks pretty much OK now , I will give it another go and then some leather clean/feed.

Good news that you're sorted. Leather feed is a myth for modern leathers by the way. Clean and protect are the two steps you need - a quick google and you'll find a wealth of info... as you already seem to have done with the vaseline trick!
06-08-2012 08:58pm
Mudi1

I love the way you explained the incident, fantastic, also the advice thanks. I have the Ivory leather and am still stupidly fussing each time my daughter steps in with her freshly applied fake tan!!
07-08-2012 01:51am
Ian s

sorry to hear your dilemma ..but the way you had written it made us laugh..

Fuji Pure SD4 Auto, Pano roof, privacy glass, style pack, . Arrived 25th October 2012Very HappyVery Happy
07-08-2012 11:43am
paisan

So , to end on a happy note.
Second treatment with vaseline and talc ( ooer missus ) on Monday night.
Wiped off this morning , cannot see any outline stain . Not even in bright sunlight.
Phew.
Now I can laugh at my own stupidity. Very Happy
07-08-2012 12:49pm
Evo-king

I'd never heard of that before, useful to know although it might not be so good on the perforated seats.

Evoque No3: MY15 Dynamic Lux SD4, Auto, Santorini Black, Pimento Dynamic Plus Sports Seats, Ebony headlining, Pan Roof, Shadow Chrome Alloys.
(This post was last modified: 07-08-2012 09:21pm by Evo-king.)
07-08-2012 09:20pm
PhilSkill

Yep that's something I learned too Vaseline and talc! Bit like white wine and salt on a red wine stain!, but an even better lesson is never to put the curry container on the seat Laughing

I'm Glad it worked paisan!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
07-08-2012 09:48pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

A rubber footwell mat on the seat squab is even better than the cardboard box for protecting the seat cushion. The other alternative is to get hold of one of Sainsbury's multi re-usable/ recyclable carrier bags and keep it in the boot so you can then hook it on the "curry" hooks in the boot.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 09-08-2012 10:57pm by XFullFatTim.)
09-08-2012 10:56pm