Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Choosing number plate
babyhazey

Choosing number plate

When I bought my current car the dealer was able to get me a number plate with my initials.

Land Rover can only get 5 for me to choose from. Does anyone know how this works and what they can do?

Thanks
12-05-2014 09:25am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Choosing number plate

You can select any plate you fancy (if it hasn't already been issued!) from the DVLA Select website here http://dvlaregistrations.direct.gov.uk They have 30 million registration numbers up for sale!
It will offer you a search in any of the new or old formats so you can type in what you are looking for and then the websites searches their database - lowest price you pay is around £280 which includes all documention and VAT - the price shown on the listing is the total price you will pay. It will even search for parts of a number and suggest alternatives. All you have to do after receiving the documents is to hand the certificate to the dealer for when they register the car, but it isn't difficult to do yourself if you have already taken delivery of the car with a "standard" plate on it, you apply to transfer the new plate using the form that can be downloaded from the DVLA website

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 10:21am by XFullFatTim.)
12-05-2014 10:09am
Vader

I bought a plate with mine and the wife's initials from DVLA for our (waiting for) Evoque. DVLA prices are all in so nothing else to pay!

Evoque Pure with extras on order, delivery June 14th?
1976 Triumph Stag
1999 Triumph Daytona 955i
12-05-2014 11:01am
MrNoo

(12-05-2014 09:25am)babyhazey Wrote:  When I bought my current car the dealer was able to get me a number plate with my initials.

Land Rover can only get 5 for me to choose from. Does anyone know how this works and what they can do?

Thanks

If your current car already has a number plate with your initials you could transfer that to your new car. You need a V778 form from the DVLA to put it on "retention" (and the DVLA will allocate a new number for your old (existing) car). When you get your new car you just transfer the registration that's on retention to it. This can be done either by the dealer before delivery or by you later on.
Currently it cost £105 to put the registration on retention for up .to 12 months

Arrived - SD4 Prestige, 5 door, manual in Orkney Grey with Element interior. Style 4 wheels, spare wheel & auto-dimming rear view mirror.
Joining MX-5 2.0i convertible.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 08:47pm by MrNoo.)
12-05-2014 08:43pm
THEMACS

I went to sort the paperwork out on my new car today, it was delivered to the dealer by BMW today. The dealer allocated me a registration number whilst I was there and I was told they are now generated by computer, it was the same two years ago when we got the Evoque. With my 2 previous New BMW's, the last in 2007, I was able to pick from a few different registrations.

Orkney Grey 5 Door Prestige, Manual SD4, Vibe Interior, Panoramic Roof and Privacy Glass. Order Placed 2/7/11 Picked Up 17/3/12, Gone 10/5/14
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 08:56pm by THEMACS.)
12-05-2014 08:54pm
DavidB

Choosing number plate

I've just collected my new Evoque. I was offered about two dozen numbers by the dealer and selected the one I liked most and which seemed most memorable.

I shall keep it on the 14 plate until later in the year then transfer my amateur radio call sign plate into it then. It is currently on a retention certificate.

Diesel Coupe 2.2 SD4 Prestige Lux. Orkney Grey. Privacy Glass. Cirrus/Lunar with Dark Grey Oak Trim.
20" Style Six Wheels + Steel Spare. Auto dimming Rear View Mirror. Adaptive Xenon Headlights.
12-05-2014 09:42pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

As far as I know it is up to the dealer whether they choose to take blocks of numbers or just take what the DVLA issues at first registration. I have heard both what The MACS says and what David says from dealers too. I transferred the plate over from my last Evoque to the new one, with a spell on retention in between, when I applied to put the plate on retention the DVLA issued a year and location specific standard plate for my old car.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 12-05-2014 09:55pm by XFullFatTim.)
12-05-2014 09:52pm