Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
C1 Gtechniq for an amateur ?
maxw523

Hi Guys,

I've been reading the wonderful reviews of the C1 product from Gtechniq.
I can't help but wonder though if it's application is suitable for an amateur like myself. There's lots of dust in the air around Boston and I'm fearful of incorporating contaminants into the paint job.
Some sites recommend using tape to avoid fluid contamination of windows/headlights etc.

Also, for a new vehicle, is it necessary to polish/clay the car if you go ahead?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Max.
26-08-2012 03:00am
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Neo

I had mine done by a pro in an enclosed area. I would image the dust
Be an issue during application. But good luck with it.

SD4 Dynamic, Fuji white 5 door
Pano roof, Adaptive Dynamics, style 7 wheels, auto tailgate, reverse camera, rear vents

Ordered: April 2012 | Built: June 2012 | Delivered: 14 August 2012
26-08-2012 08:30am
kevoque

RE: C1 Gtechniq for an amateur ?

(26-08-2012 03:00am)maxw523 Wrote:  Hi Guys,

I've been reading the wonderful reviews of the C1 product from Gtechniq.
I can't help but wonder though if it's application is suitable for an amateur like myself. There's lots of dust in the air around Boston and I'm fearful of incorporating contaminants into the paint job.
Some sites recommend using tape to avoid fluid contamination of windows/headlights etc.

Also, for a new vehicle, is it necessary to polish/clay the car if you go ahead?

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Max.
Yes you still need to do the prep as C1 will not bond to the paint other wise ! Yes it is ok for amateur why not try EXO is easier to apply and amazing finish !!
Still need to do the prep though !!
Kev
26-08-2012 09:20am
BFGEvoqueMan

Trust me the stuff is doddle to use as long as you use C1 as shown on the Youtube video guides. I was apprehensive like you, but you just dab a couple of drops on the applicator pad and "smear" over a panel at a time. It is really easy to see if you have missed anywhere and you really only need to wipe over with the 1st microfibre cloth and then buff lightly with the 2nd.

If you are really worried, experiment on an old piece of metal (or say fridge door) and your mind will immediately be put at ease. I have never used anything like it before but many people have noticed and commented that my Merc is shiner than before and if I had polished it.Very Happy:Very Happy

5 Dr SD4 Dynamic Plus (220PS!)
- Santorini Black with Indus Silver Roof
- Plus Pack (Agility Pimento/Ebony Oxford Leather)
- 20" Style 7 Alloy Wheels, Adaptive Bi-Xenon's with high beam assist, Aero Flip Spolier
- Keyless Entry, Privacy Glass, Auto dipping Interior Mirror, 825W stereo
27-08-2012 09:13pm
WB
WB

The latest version C1+ is much more forgiving and doesn't cure as quickly as the older C1 version. If you can apply it indoors that would be better.

If the car is delivered with paint in good condition then you can skip the polish/clay but you MUST IPA the paintwork thoroughly before applying C1.

Finally if you don't already have a discount and are ordering direct from GTechniq then drop me a PM or email and I'll let you know how to get one
27-08-2012 10:06pm
maxw523

Thanks Guys.
I'm sorry, but IPA means what exactly?
28-08-2012 01:53am
Kentboy

(27-08-2012 09:13pm)BFGEvoqueMan Wrote:  Trust me the stuff is doddle to use as long as you use C1 as shown on the Youtube video guides. I was apprehensive like you, but you just dab a couple of drops on the applicator pad and "smear" over a panel at a time. It is really easy to see if you have missed anywhere and you really only need to wipe over with the 1st microfibre cloth and then buff lightly with the 2nd.

If you are really worried, experiment on an old piece of metal (or say fridge door) and your mind will immediately be put at ease. I have never used anything like it before but many people have noticed and commented that my Merc is shiner than before and if I had polished it.Very Happy:Very Happy

+1

(28-08-2012 01:53am)maxw523 Wrote:  Thanks Guys.
I'm sorry, but IPA means what exactly?

Isopropanol Alcohol (IPA) is an alcohol-based chemical cleaning agent used to remove oil polish and residue from painted surfaces.

I would dilute it one part IPA two parts Water.

Evoque Prestige SD4, Barolo Black contrast white roof, Ambiance Upholstery with Figured Macassar wood insert, Privecy glass, Lux Pack, 20" Style 6 Alloys, Spare Wheel. Ordered 10th March estimated completion date 6th July.
(This post was last modified: 28-08-2012 07:59am by Kentboy.)
28-08-2012 07:54am
kevoque

Advice polish with P1 also as it will take all fine scratches out and not fill as would a lot of other polishes then IPA wipe down !
28-08-2012 09:22pm