Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Unexpected Economy
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Unexpected Economy

I never bother with the instant - it goes off the scale at 99.9mpg on long down-hill runs on the M74 and M6 but drops to an alarming <15 sometimes on the upslope too....... There is a auto trip function that I use so it automatically resets for every trip and then each tankful get recorded on Fuelly. At the moment my 1996 300TDi Defender is averaging 30mpg on the road, current tankful will be poor as it has spent all today in low ratio offloading and doing a few recoveries of stuck Disco's and Puma Defenders.......

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
23-03-2014 10:37pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
mark_n

The instantaneous consumption is exactly that and will vary wildly according to what the car is doing. The figures of less than 15 or more than 99.9 are entirely reasonable for situations like acceleration, climbing a hill and descending a hill on a trailing throttle.

On a steady cruise, consumption will always rise because the Evoque is about at aerodynamic as a brick you-know-what and the permanent 4WD introduces driveline friction which sap your fuel economy.

In the end, it simply does not matter as you will lose far more in depreciation than it costs you to fuel the thing.

Mark

Evoque was great, now in an RRS SVR
24-03-2014 06:34am
Kah

Hi all
We were out in our pure Manuel yesterday on B roads did about 70 miles.
And achieved 43 mpg
I still believe a manuel will beat a auto any day
Only my opinion
So I think hitting 50 mpg on the motorway should be no problem ..
Cheers all
24-03-2014 08:53am
PhilSkill

(24-03-2014 08:53am)Kah Wrote:  Hi all
We were out in our pure Manuel yesterday on B roads did about 70 miles.
And achieved 43 mpg
I still believe a manuel will beat a auto any day
Only my opinion
So I think hitting 50 mpg on the motorway should be no problem ..
Cheers all

I think you'll find B roads and A roads are far better suited to the Evoque than blasting down the motorway due to the wind resistance. I've had 42mpg while in 50mph roadworks on motorways and even managed 47mpg, but immediatley drops off a bit once back up to 70mph. The short to medium journeys I do only return 36mpg as there be hills around me!

MY12 Fuji Dynamic SD4 Manual, Pano Roof, Electric Tailgate with own Close module
[Image: 124529.png][Image: 1004887.png]
24-03-2014 02:58pm
speary

(23-03-2014 07:35pm)XFullFatTim Wrote:  Is it a 6 speed or 9 speed auto - and welcome to the forum
Reckon on 35mpg or less in everyday use of a 6 speeder (nowhere near the 45 claimed by LR) and low 40's for a 9 speeder.. On a long motorway drive keeping to the motorway speed limits I used to get up to about 42mpg with a best ever 47, but most of the time it was averaging 35.

There is an interesting little piece of news in today's UK Sunday Times regarding Official MPG / ltr/100kms declared by car makers. The United Nations no less has called it a day on the current system and now the figures have to include 2minutes at 70mph and a minute at 81mph as well as city driving! They reckon that many cars with very low declared emissions like hybrids will rise several groups up the Tax band ratings as a result of the new testing method. Any change of taxation band will only apply to new built cars after the new system comes into force.

It's good that they are looking at the system, but in reality if they make the test more realistic then nearly every car will go into a higher tax bracket which will cost us all more. Also running at 70 and 81 will be more representative but it won't take into account wind resistance and this is where cars like the Evoque loose out with large frontal areas

Pure Coupe SD4 Manual; Fuji White; 19" style 5 wheels; Addaptive Xenons; Auto Lights, Wipers and Rear Mirror; Folding mirrors with cool puddle lights. Magnoflow Exhaust finishers
25-03-2014 01:51pm
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

I've just looked at what the latest Defender costs in RFT............... £490pa - my 1996TDI 300 Def90 costs me £195pa - a big disincentive to replace it with a new one.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
25-03-2014 01:54pm