Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Auto shutoff? I don't understand... SOLVED!
morey000

Auto shutoff? I don't understand... SOLVED!

I've got a '15 pure plus, US spec.

Sometimes, when I stop the vehicle; put it in park; and disconnect my seat belt (?) and open the door (?), the vehicle automatically shuts off. Other times, it doesn't, and I need to press the start/stop button to shut it off.

I haven't figured out what combination of actions gets the car to shut itself off, and what combination makes it stay on. And- half the time I inadvertently re-start an already shut down vehicle.

help. how does this work? The manual is not helpful.
(This post was last modified: 11-06-2015 03:50pm by morey000.)
08-06-2015 05:27pm
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stadt Panzer

RE: Auto shutoff? I don't understand what it's doing

(08-06-2015 05:27pm)morey000 Wrote:  I've got a '15 pure plus, US spec.

Sometimes, when I stop the vehicle; put it in park; and disconnect my seat belt (?) and open the door (?), the vehicle automatically shuts off. Other times, it doesn't, and I need to press the start/stop button to shut it off.

I haven't figured out what combination of actions gets the car to shut itself off, and what combination makes it stay on. And- half the time I inadvertently re-start an already shut down vehicle.

help. how does this work? The manual is not helpful.

If you stop the vehicle; in to park and disconnect your seat belt, the car will shut down.

If you stop the vehicle; in to park and open the door but you do not disconnect your seat belt the car will not shut down.

Hope that helps.

Somewhere in the North Sea.
08-06-2015 06:48pm
Evoqueen

It happens to me based on the ECO function. If I want the car to continue running, I turn it off before I disconnect my seatbelt.

2016 Evoque HSE Dynamic, Santorini Black with Cirrus Grey interior, coated in Ceramic Pro 9H Very Happy
09-06-2015 12:35am
Koidream

Same problem here. Sometimes it does shut off, and sometimes I have to push the start/ stop button. Sad

BMW 315
BMW 518
Daihatsu Rocky 2.8D
BMW 320i
BMW R100RT
Triumph Spitfire 1500
Rover 623 Si
BMW 518i
Alfa Romeo 156 1.9JTD
VOLVO S60 D5
Range Rover Evoque TD4

[Image: 343895.png]
09-06-2015 09:16am
morey000

my eco function is operating.
Today, my evoque is 0 for 4 in the number of times that it shut itself off.
3 of those times I entered park from Reverse (rather than drive). I thought that perhaps that was the difference. So, then I pulled into a spot forwards, and moved from D into P. Still didn't shut off.

I've also noticed that the vehicle hasn't done the eco engine stop in a couple days, but it has been rather warm where I live. <b> Is it possible that the auto engine shutoff (when park/seatbelt unlatch) is not functioning because it's trying to keep the car cool? </b>
09-06-2015 08:33pm
HotLap

(09-06-2015 08:33pm)morey000 Wrote:  my eco function is operating.
Today, my evoque is 0 for 4 in the number of times that it shut itself off.
3 of those times I entered park from Reverse (rather than drive). I thought that perhaps that was the difference. So, then I pulled into a spot forwards, and moved from D into P. Still didn't shut off.

I've also noticed that the vehicle hasn't done the eco engine stop in a couple days, but it has been rather warm where I live. <b> Is it possible that the auto engine shutoff (when park/seatbelt unlatch) is not functioning because it's trying to keep the car cool? </b>
Money, I too noticed this when I first got my '15 US spec Prestige (2/2015). What it turned out to be was if the ECO function was engaged when I stopped and went from D to P the vehicle would shut down and I would inadvertently restart it by trying to shut if off. To be honest, I don't care much for the ECO system and generally turn it off after starting the car, so I never experience this anymore. The Eco will not work if certain conditions are present such as, AC running, low battery and (IIRC) high accessory demand. Pretty sure there's more detail around specific ECO operational conditions in the OM. At first it was confusing, but now that I know what it is I don't have further issues with it. I'd like to change the ECO to the default "off" position when car is started and the front parking sensors to default "on" since I never think to turn them on and they may as well not be there...all my other vehicles they default to "on" and have manual switch where you can shut them off is say you are in a Starbuck's drive through line, etc. Good luck!

2015 Evoque Prestige in Santorini Black with Ivory/Espresso interior
09-06-2015 09:20pm
morey000

(09-06-2015 09:20pm)HotLap Wrote:  ... What it turned out to be was if the ECO function was engaged when I stopped and went from D to P the vehicle would shut down and I would inadvertently restart it by trying to shut if off. ...

yeah. mine isn't doing that. or really , it's doing it inconsistently. It's kind of a nice feature if you could count on it- i.e. one less thing to do while getting out of a car. But now, I've got two things to do. 1. check if the car is still running or not. 2. maybe hit the start/stop button to shut it off or not. Which isn't always obvious.

I can get used to about anything... it's the inconsistency that's bugging me; and I thought it might be a specific set of conditions that's making the car stay on.

I don't mind the start/stop eco feature. It restarts smoothly and quickly, and is ready to go in the amount of time it takes me to move my foot from the brake to the accelerator. So, why not save gas.
10-06-2015 12:58am
morey000

I figured it out.

First. I asked my dealer. The salesman asked the service technicians. They said it had to do with the timing between when you move the knob into Park and when you unbuckle the seat belt. I tried a few combinations and it had no effect.

Which is pretty typical with my experience with car salesmen and service technicians. they seem to know the least about how the vehicle operates. With rare exception- salesman know little about the cars they sell.

So- I'm new on this forum and I'm about to add my first 'value' to the conversation. I figured it out.

Here it is:

***The engine shut-off does not function when the fan speed is 5 or above.***
11-06-2015 06:01am
XFullFatTim
Bat wielding forum enforcer

RE: Auto shutoff? I don't understand... SOLVED!

If that isn't in the owners' manual then probably not evn LR knows that it does that! The electrical load with the fan and the climate conrol on may be too high for the battery management system to cope with so it thinks it needs to inhibit the stop/start.

A Pangea Green New Defender 110 First Edition is now sitting on my drive alongside British Racing Green Electric Mini Cooper SE Level 3. After 21 years in my hands my TDI300 90 was handed on to the next custodian on 15 July 2022.
(This post was last modified: 14-06-2015 02:22am by XFullFatTim.)
14-06-2015 02:22am